Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Disabled parking abusers

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2001, 10:08 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

Maybe its because my dad was disabled in later life or because i'm just a decent human being like the majority of us, but it really gets on my t1ts when people who are obviously not disabled use and abuse these spaces and lets be honest there are only a handful in most shopping areas, planners please note more and more disabled people are now able to get mobile through various schemes.

Spotted today at the Pentavia retail park off the A1 Mill Hill, bright red F355, right outside Homebase door in the diabled bay, me thinks blimey that must be hard work to get in and out of, did my usual and scanned the car for disabled badges, couldnt see any and wandered into Homebase muttering bad things about this lazy b@stard.

Imagine my joy when exiting Homebase the owner is strolling across the carpark and blips the remote alarm, never one to turn down an opportunity to shame these offenders, joy grew as I see a well to do middle aged women leather trousers and jacket tonnes of tacky gold jewelery, season ticket holder at the sunbed salon, big salon hair,long never done a days work in my life nails, you know the sort look at me im the bollox, my husbands loaded with a small **** and he bought me this shinny little car, isnt it lovely.

Couldnt help but say as she approached "So whats your disability then?" blank look then stares at her obviously expensive shoes, yeah look at your feet, at least you can use them. Another inconsiderate w*nker bites the dust. Fantastic.

My girlfriend says im intollerant, i say BOLLOX dont abuse your privilege

FM
Old 29 November 2001, 10:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

The reason people sometimes ignore them is:-

How often have you seen someone arrive with an orange sticker and jump out the car and 'run' to the shops???

My mother has a sticker, she is nearly blind!!, BUT she doesnt drive and my dad can park where he likes!!

What we need is the GENUINELY disabled to use the orange badges - its those with 'twisted angles' with stickers who bring the whole scheme into question.

I must admit to using the disabled bays when there is plenty available - it saves my car getting even MORE dents! I would NOT, however take one if there were only a few available.

Pete
Old 29 November 2001, 10:34 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone know how "disabled" you have to be to qualify for a sticker?

I have seen some pretty able-bodied persons who claim the orange badge!

mb
Old 29 November 2001, 10:42 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Agreed Pete plenty of people hold badges and are totally mobile, the whole system needs to be looked at. I sort of admire your bravery at admiting u use them, and for that I shall be tollerant
Old 29 November 2001, 10:51 PM
Luke
BANNED

Here in N.London (Finchley area) the only thing you needed to get one ,was a bit of cash. "David LLoyd "sport centre has loads of big 4x4's with "disabled..." women playing tennis for 2.hours then doing tons of shopping after. Some local Doctors and Council officials must have made loads out of this scam.
Old 29 November 2001, 11:40 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

Used to be a guy in our office who had a disabled sticker on his Porsche. That used to rile a few people - until they saw him getting out of the car and into his wheel chair!
Old 29 November 2001, 11:40 PM
LEE-69
Scooby Regular

you can get the blue badge(even without claiming dla)as its now called ,as long as your doctor confirms youre walking abilities are limited due to severe pain.
Old 30 November 2001, 12:40 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Angry

MY SISTER IS DOWNS SYNDROME AND IT REALLY ANNOYS ME WHEN THERE ARE NO SPACES DUE TO IDIOTS TAKING UP SAPCES WHEN THEY SHOULDN'T [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

She nneds a wheel chair now it really annoys me
Old 30 November 2001, 12:48 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Thank you Michelle a bit of solidarity now, ABOUT TIME!!!
Old 30 November 2001, 09:01 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone else posted on this a couple of months ago. Had a ?wife who had I think a joint-wasting disease, so she could walk fine for 20 yards and increasing agony afterwards. He was upset that people got angry when they saw her walking "normally" out of a disabled bay, not realising that she'd be hobbling back into it after going round the shops.

I don't think he said she had a Ferrari though

BJH
Old 30 November 2001, 10:00 AM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My mate is diabetic but keeps it under control with no problems. Eats what he likes and drinks like a fish!!! He told me that he is legally entitled to an orange badge!!!! However, being able bodied he refuses to apply for one as he feels it would be taking the p1$$.

Sean
Old 30 November 2001, 10:16 AM
humbug
Scooby Regular

I am sick of seeing "disabled" people virtually running form their cars, fitter than you or I. The whole orange badge scheme is a total scam. Peole just con their GPs into filling out the forms for them.

Every time you go to Sainsbury's there's loads of cars in the disabled and no a single wheel chair in sight in the store.
If you are genuinely immobile thats fine but hardly any are.

Old 30 November 2001, 10:23 AM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Talking

If supermarkets just put the disabled spaces at the back of the carpark then able bodied jerks wouldn't want to park there! Problem solved!.

Oh, wait a minute......
Old 30 November 2001, 10:27 AM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

On a more serious note, our local Asda has sensors on the spaces which play a recorded message about how people can get assistance carrying their shopping etc. if they have difficulties. I think they've missed an excellent opportunity - imagine these able bodied blaggers walking from their car with a <loud> message reminding users that the spaces are for disabled people only, if you're not disabled you are inconveniencing some one who is etc.

All the best,

Dean
Old 30 November 2001, 10:36 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

My step mother is disabled (rheumatoid arthritis - both hips and knees replaced) and she has an orange sticker. When I lived at home, I used to go shopping with her and often found the disabled bays full of cars without the orange sticker. Quite a few of them were "just popping in" - they still got some abuse from me though. My step mother never abuses her badge entitlement, but plenty of others do. It is just as bad for the able bodied to use disabled bays as it is for orange badge holders to allow others to abuse the priviledge.

[Edited by Jerome - 11/30/2001 10:37:40 AM]
Old 30 November 2001, 10:49 AM
humbug
Scooby Regular

What about parent and child bays?

I parked in one without bringing my kids and a guy got upset and said "Where are YOUR kids then?"

I replied, "Eton and Roedean..."
Old 30 November 2001, 10:52 AM
Bin Laden
Scooby Regular

Apparently Camden Sainsbury's are trialling lesbian and gay parking bays.

If you are male, heterosexual and have no children in tow, you have to pay to park 3 miles from the store and walk there over rough waste ground.
Old 30 November 2001, 10:55 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Toffee nosed to$$er.

Why wasn't your butler doing the shopping anyway?
Old 30 November 2001, 11:04 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Did a similar thing a couple of years ago when I blocked in a guy who had parked a Range Rover in the Motorcycle bay, came out to find him trying to manoeuver past my bike and nearly knocking it over, he gets out the motor and shouts what you playing at blocking me in. I stand there in Tesco car park with all the gear on and helmet in one hand and bottle of wine in the other. People look over await my answer and I say its your own fault for having such a bike motorbike ya *****, he gets back into the motor mumbling to his wife, superb. Then this old wifey comes over and says son he tried to move your bike but couldn't move it. I'd obviously locked it ooohh how slowly I packed my wine under the seat and then removed my lock. Knobjockey

Cheers
Cammy
Old 30 November 2001, 11:07 AM
humbug
Scooby Regular

My chauffeur does the driving and errands and was with me that day - the butler has duties around the house.
Old 30 November 2001, 11:09 AM
humbug
Scooby Regular

Incidentally, have you ever tried getting a Bentley into those narrow normal spaces? It's a nightmare - so thats why we park in the parent and child spaces.
Old 30 November 2001, 11:10 AM
humbug
Scooby Regular

PS

Thinking of getting a porsche boxster s for shopping.

[Edited by humbug - 11/30/2001 11:12:02 AM]
Old 30 November 2001, 11:27 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Angry

I am sick of seeing "disabled" people virtually running form their cars, fitter than you or I. The whole orange badge scheme is a total scam. Peole just con their GPs into filling out the forms for them.

Every time you go to Sainsbury's there's loads of cars in the disabled and no a single wheel chair in sight in the store.
If you are genuinely immobile thats fine but hardly any are.
Come and meet my sister, my aunt, my nan and the other people I know who are disabled - have you taken a blue badge test??????????? Do you have any idea how hard they are to get????????

My sister can walk but she has foot problems and has a problem common to Downs people where the digestive system just relaxes and she collapses.

Added to the fact that people laugh at her because she looks different there are people like you who see them walking properly and say they are taking the pi55???

That makes me mad!!!!!
Old 30 November 2001, 11:29 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Angry

My sister will not be able to work nor live a *nomal* life she will put up with being looked after full time for the rest of her life...........

THats why I love my sister more than anything else in the world she has no prejiduces or jumped up ****ty attitudes like some idiots on here [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 30 November 2001, 11:32 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yes there are some people who take the mickey but they are a MINORITY........there are so many genuine disabled people being victimised [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I say this with a lot of experience behind me not just with my sister......
Old 30 November 2001, 11:51 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

You cannot deny, Michelle, that there is a big black market in those badges, both real and forgeries - especially in places like London where they are serous money-savers for those that buy them.

The point is that the scheme needs reform so that the deserving get them and not the fakers. Then there would be more spaces for those that needed them.
Old 30 November 2001, 11:59 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Angry

Which take me back to my ongoing point about the police who do sweet FA and just chase us drivers around collecting revenue [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

There are genuine cases like my sister so lets not be completely blinkered and assume all are fraudsters or taking the pi55
Old 30 November 2001, 12:05 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Michelle - Chill - I think you have taken the quote entirely the wrong way. I think it was supposed to be read as - 'genuinely disabled people are losing out because of the number of **** takers - because of this **** taking the badges are more difficult to get, so people who are borderline cannot get one, while some able bodied people use any excuse to get one. For example, you could get a sticker so that you could take your sister shopping in your car, but once you have it I'm sure you wouldn't use it if she isn't with you?

I was entitled to a badge after a motorcycle accident in 1998. I was in extreme pain for months, so doctor said - here is the form, signed and sealed. I didn't post it off, as I couldn't find anywhere with disable spaces for motorbikes
Old 30 November 2001, 01:22 PM
Rhodie
Scooby Regular

Michelle,I totally agree with you. My son has Cerebral Palsy, and drives a wheelchair. The sheer arrogance of some people is stunning. I confront people who abuse this minor privilege for disabled people. Let their tyres down and let them be immobile and see how they feel.

Old 30 November 2001, 01:43 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Angry

This a thread that could run and run, and I know has been done a few times before on this site. I think it is obvious that it is a real problem for some members of this board, they or their relatives need spaces like these, it does not take much care and thought to be a bit more considerate. What does it save, 30 seconds? 25 calories?

Not wanting to hijack this thread the Parent and Baby issue is one that is close to me, having a 18 month old daugther, we NEED the extra space to get her in and out of the car, It does not matter that they are closer to the store than the other spaces, they could be further away, She is put in the trolley and pushed round the store, and if the kid is old enough to walk around the store then they can walk across the car park!

Disable people need to be able to park close, my grandad is 84 he still drives but cannot walk great distances, the only time he and my Nan leave the house is to go shopping once a week, if they can't get a space close to the store then they cannot shop, it is a s simple as that.

PLEASE EVERONE, firstly don't do it, and if you see someone else doing it they say something, perferably in a loud voice so everyone can hear. And if they give you a load of abuse back? Get out your car keys and run it down the side of the car as you walk past Being descreet so not to show up on the CCTV.

If you don't want your precious car to get scratched at the supermarket, Park it further away in the space no one uses, or buy a old car to go down the shops in! If your wife can't park her big 4X4 in a normal space, buy her a normal car that see can drive.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant but it is very frustrating it is only a simple matter of curtisy. Be considerate, it will take longer to get the Key scratch out, than to find a different parking space!!!!

A local supermarket is now fining customers for parking in Disable spaces if they do not need them, and the plan is about to be extended to the Parent and baby. PLEASE THINK OF OTHERS!!!

Rant over!!!

RJP

Quick Reply: Disabled parking abusers