Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Poor roundabout discipline

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2006, 10:13 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poor roundabout discipline

Why do so many people in this country have problems with lane discipline at roundabouts?
Over the last 2 weeks i've been cut by 4 people who seem to think you go over a rounabout regardless of what lane they are in without regard for other traffic users example at night arrive at a 3 lane junction (clearly marked LEFT ONLY with a big arrow,MIDDLE straight on with a big arrow, RIGHT straight on or right with a big arrow).
I'm in the right lane to go straight over (no problem as lanes are marked like that) to my left is an old f**kwit who also wants to straight on, fair enough as said lanes are marked like that she then decides as we both pull away she wants to occupy the same space as my car.Luckily i can see he doing this so am able to back off unfortunately i lose my rag cut inside her and cut her up she flashes her lights and i'm afraid to say i got out the car (the is pedestrian crossing on red and gave her a torrent of abuse ( yes i know it was wrong and nothing can change it).
It wasn't because i was on my scooby as it was at night and she couldn't see what car she just cut up.
Old 11 December 2006, 10:16 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One little hooligan nearly pushed our Frank off of his helicopter, shoving his way through to the double-decker bus.
Old 11 December 2006, 10:20 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Just one of life's little annoyances. I've have come incredibly close to losing the front on my car twice in the last couple of weeks - both times at a mini roundabout about half a mile from my house. In both cases, I was turning right across the traffic (indicating etc) and on both occassions, a car coming in the opposite direction failed to stop and went straignt across the roundabout as if it wasn't there. Both times would have been very nasty accidents - I was lucky.
Old 11 December 2006, 11:06 AM
orbix
Scooby Regular

I love the people that use the lane that has the shortest queue to get on to the roundabout and then change lanes to the one they want while on the roundabout.

And there will be one person that will use the outside lane to take the 3rd+ exit.
Old 11 December 2006, 11:12 AM
Torpid
BANNED

Assume everyone is out to kill you/destroy your car and act accordingly.

I've noticed that in the UK there is a very strong tendency for people to assume that because they are in the right that an accident won't ensue. You should expect other road users to cut you up, switch lanes and generally drive as if they haven't passed a test (probably a fair proportion haven't) and drive slower and defensively when other cars are around.

I'm betting there's a fair proportion of people here who enter roundabouts at the posted speed limit then get all angry when someone doesn't appear to give way. The fact is sometimes the posted limit is innapropriately high and while you might be in the right I don't think that will be much consolation when you're having your feet freed from the mangled wreck of your car or you T-bone some hapless **** and kill his children.

Drive defensively.
Old 11 December 2006, 11:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Myblackwrx,

When it comes to your graphic description of the other person, it looks like you could easily apply that to yourself with your admitted behaviour.

Les
Old 11 December 2006, 12:09 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Yep lots of people cant use / see the signs for which path to take on roundabouts. Seems to be even more that get confused with the give way to those on the right rule !
Compulsorily periodic retest and or stop relying on a static camera to police our roads would be good start IMHO
Torpid's advice is sound though!

Richard
Old 11 December 2006, 12:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

How about this? I was approaching local mini roundabout complete with bollards etc. As I slowed down chap behind me overtook me and went straight over roundabout and bollards on wrong side into traffic approaching from opposite side
Old 11 December 2006, 12:32 PM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by David Lock
How about this? I was approaching local mini roundabout complete with bollards etc. As I slowed down chap behind me overtook me and went straight over roundabout and bollards on wrong side into traffic approaching from opposite side
Maybe it was stolen, had his dying wife in the backseat rushing to hospital or maybe the guy was just a tw@t.

The point is you can't second guess what's going on and the only thing you can control is your own driving.

Let the losers get on the way to their next accident is my philosophy.
Old 11 December 2006, 12:50 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

And what the hell is it about when people indicate right to go straight over a mini roundabout?

It makes no sense at all!

Agreed with previous comments though; drive as if everyone else is an incompetent idiot (as indeed most are).
Old 11 December 2006, 12:57 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torpid
Assume everyone is out to kill you/destroy your car and act accordingly.

I've noticed that in the UK there is a very strong tendency for people to assume that because they are in the right that an accident won't ensue. You should expect other road users to cut you up, switch lanes and generally drive as if they haven't passed a test (probably a fair proportion haven't) and drive slower and defensively when other cars are around.

I'm betting there's a fair proportion of people here who enter roundabouts at the posted speed limit then get all angry when someone doesn't appear to give way. The fact is sometimes the posted limit is innapropriately high and while you might be in the right I don't think that will be much consolation when you're having your feet freed from the mangled wreck of your car or you T-bone some hapless **** and kill his children.

Drive defensively.
Totally agree with you hence i was able to back off
Old 11 December 2006, 01:01 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Myblackwrx,

When it comes to your graphic description of the other person, it looks like you could easily apply that to yourself with your admitted behaviour.

Les
Agreed and as said i knew what i did was wrong but that incident pushed the wrong buttons and had to vent my anger unfortunately she got it.
Old 11 December 2006, 07:26 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Agreed and as said i knew what i did was wrong but that incident pushed the wrong buttons and had to vent my anger unfortunately she got it.
If something as minor as that makes you so angry when driving perhaps you should question your own suitability as a driver.

It takes a while for that angry state to subside, but while in that state surely you are just as great a risk to other road users?

Reading the road ahead, making constant observations and evaluations and good spatial awareness should enable you avoid or anticipate the poor driving standards of others.
Old 11 December 2006, 08:00 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

i don't think the possiblity of losing the front end of my car as minor true its just a bit of metal but its mine and i don't want some idiot causing damage to it.Venting my anger at her was a release and i calmed down quickly.
As we both pulled upto the junction at the same time i had no time to evaluate her standard of driving would cut me up IF she had used her indicators as taught then nothing would have happened.
Old 12 December 2006, 12:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Fair enough, glad to see you have the honesty and decency to say that.

Les