Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Christmas ISN'T banned

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2006, 10:11 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Christmas ISN'T banned

Some stories chased up - and they evaporate. But I'm sure NSR will ignore this, and carry on reading the Daily Mail...

"Perhaps the most notorious of the anti-Christmas rebrandings is Winterval, in Birmingham, and when you telephone the Birmingham city council press office to ask about it, you are met first of all with a silence that might seasonably be described as frosty. "We get this every year," a press officer sighs, eventually. "It just depends how many rogue journalists you get in any given year. We tell them it's bollocks, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.""

And as for the survey about Christmas decorations being banned:

"This week's survey by the employment law firm Peninsula, suggesting that 74% of British employers have banned Christmas decorations for fear of offending non-Christians, seems similarly beset with problems. Even the Christian Muslim Forum accepts that the key question - "Do you admit to banning Christmas decorations because you are worried about offending other faiths?" - seems pointedly phrased, and several follow-up questions seem designed to steer respondents in an anti-Christmas direction. Even if the fear is real, one might reasonably attribute it precisely to the newspapers' provocative campaigns against the alleged War on Christmas. (After all - as everyone involved in the argument agrees - it's not as if there's any track record of anybody actually taking legal action because they were offended.) Finally, the survey asks: "Are you aware of your legal requirement to celebrate all faiths?" But according to the conciliation service Acas, there is no such obligation."

The phoney war on Christmas | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited
Old 08 December 2006, 10:23 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks to me like webbie has declared war on Christmas by not turning on the Scoobnet Christmas lights.... Maybe he doesn't want to offend anybody?
Old 08 December 2006, 10:26 AM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about those of us who are offended by not being allowed to celebrate how it should be celebrated, and no decorations?
Old 08 December 2006, 10:27 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

I've asked for a Christian prayer room at work, as we have one pointing to mecca ATM for students that visit.
Old 08 December 2006, 10:33 AM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

If it's OK for one....
Old 08 December 2006, 10:40 AM
Curse of the Rushing Gimp
Scooby Regular

If its in the guardian it must be true . Guardian readers are precisely why we're in the ****ter with all this human rights. bleading liberal homos hang em i say
Old 08 December 2006, 10:40 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Looks to me like webbie has declared war on Christmas by not turning on the Scoobnet Christmas lights.... Maybe he doesn't want to offend anybody?
Maybe he cant be bothered this year, doesnt seem to answer any other questions that get put to him about this bbs anymore

Ask him a PS3 question or tell him you want to advertise and im sure you will get an instant answer

I got an idea, tell webby you want to sponser NSR but your company sells xmas lights
Old 08 December 2006, 10:48 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

I already told you, he's still sulking about having to take his red and green lights down.
Old 08 December 2006, 10:50 AM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

He probably got too many red ones
Old 08 December 2006, 11:05 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
I got an idea, tell webby you want to sponser NSR but your company sells xmas lights
I'm surprised NSR isn't sponsored by the Daily Mail
Old 08 December 2006, 11:10 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I'm surprised NSR isn't sponsored by the Daily Mail
You could use most of the posts on NSR as articles for the Daily Mail, they could use that much they wouldnt need to employ journalists anymore

Its got pretty bad in here now for that.
Old 08 December 2006, 11:19 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

But that's just one liberal PC lefty's opinion - in the Guardian of all places

Still as we are freely cutting and pasting from the article this paragraph seems to sum up the situation more accurately:

The Campaign Against Political Correctness, headquartered in Kennington in south London, bases its pitch to potential members on the argument that Britain is approaching boiling-point in the backlash against misguided attempts to avoid offending minorities. (Its website features several heroes of the anti-PC movement, including Jim Davidson, "22-year-old rapper Plan B", and Sir Cliff Richard, who says that "this whole PC thing bugs me like mad", as well as Bruce Forsyth, who is praised for not bowing to pressure, from unspecified sources, to avoid using the word "nitty-gritty" on air.) "The difference now is that people are angry about it," says Philip Davies, the Conservative MP for Shipley, who is the campaign's parliamentary spokesman and a loud critic of the War on Christmas. "People used to laugh about it, but that's changed ... they're angry with white, middle-class liberal do-gooders with some kind of guilt complex and too much time on their hands."

A great quote from their website:

DID YOU KNOW.....that a recent study calculated that 73 per cent of Britons are members of officially recognised “victim groups”, including the disabled, women, ethnic minorities and homosexuals? Are we really all victims? Are you happy to carry on being treated like a victim?

Last edited by unclebuck; 08 December 2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08 December 2006, 11:25 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
But that's just one liberal PC lefty's opinion - in the Guardian of all places

Still as we are freely cutting and pasting from the article this paragraph seems to sum up the situation more accurately:

The Campaign Against Political Correctness, headquartered in Kennington in south London, bases its pitch to potential members on the argument that Britain is approaching boiling-point in the backlash against misguided attempts to avoid offending minorities. (Its website features several heroes of the anti-PC movement, including Jim Davidson, "22-year-old rapper Plan B", and Sir Cliff Richard, who says that "this whole PC thing bugs me like mad", as well as Bruce Forsyth, who is praised for not bowing to pressure, from unspecified sources, to avoid using the word "nitty-gritty" on air.) "The difference now is that people are angry about it," says Philip Davies, the Conservative MP for Shipley, who is the campaign's parliamentary spokesman and a loud critic of the War on Christmas. "People used to laugh about it, but that's changed ... they're angry with white, middle-class liberal do-gooders with some kind of guilt complex and too much time on their hands."

Spot on UB!

Brendan
If the Sun or Mail are the chav rags
The Guardian is really the read of the PC liberal do-gooders who feel guilty for everything want to put it right but have no common sense or perspective. The sad thing is the PC fools think they really have a mission and sometimes the power and influence to do something about it - i class these fools as a real problem to society as well

TBH i take everything written within these rags with a pinch of salt, Guardian included mate!

Last edited by The Zohan; 08 December 2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08 December 2006, 11:27 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I wouldn't even wipe my **** with the guardian
Old 08 December 2006, 11:35 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't even wipe my **** with the guardian
Print would come off on your ****
Old 08 December 2006, 11:42 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Paul, as I've said before, I take all newspapers with a pinch of salt, Grauniad quite definitely included. But when someone appears to have actually tried to find out the facts behind a popular story, rather than just regurgitating urban myths, I think it's worth letting people know them. However, if you folks (and Sir Cliff Richard) want to carry on raising your blood pressure over something that is actually baseless, don't let me stop you - it'll be your heart attack, not mine.

Remarkable as it may seem, there are plenty of Guardian articles that I don't put up here, as they are as biased as the rest of them. The above was one I thought seemed exceptional and thus deserving of dissemination. Hey, even you and UB seemed to agree with part of it
Old 08 December 2006, 12:29 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

I would've thought that most of the Daily Mail lot would be anti-Christmas ...seeing as most of the traditions we associate with it were bought in by pesky German Immigrants