Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do I put DVD's on my Archos AV700TV?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2006, 11:41 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I put DVD's on my Archos AV700TV?

I'm having trouble putting my DVD's onto my Archos AV700TV. I assume the DVD needs to be shrunk / converted to an AVI / MPEG format. Is this right or is there another way?
I've tried a few of the DVD to AVI converter programs but they break the DVD into loads of little video files whereas all I need is the movie itself. For instance, Underworld Evolution is made up of 47 different video files on the DVD!!!
Is there a foolproof program outhere that will just take the movie from the DVD and convert it for me without fannying around with all the dross that is on the disc?

Craig.
Old 18 November 2006, 03:53 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I think that DVDDecrypter and PocketDIXV Encoder should do it. DVDDecrypter isnt that easy to find now but if you look hard enough youll suceed. Pocket DIVX Encoder is freely available and its superb. I havent used it for a long time but IIRC I shrunk a 25 minutes long Wallace & Gromit down to 70MB @ 320x240 and the quality was faultless, no artifacts at all.

If you cant find them send me a PM I should be able to email them to you, or steer you in the right direction.

Simon
Old 18 November 2006, 10:22 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Craig - couple of ways i've found of putting dvds on my AV700tv -

1. get a copy of dvd decrypter and fairuse wizard

2. get the tv docking station - £30 ish and play a dvd and set the Archos to record incoming stream

The second option is the fastest and easiest - just bloody annoying that Archos dont include the optional docking pod with their top of the range PVR

Neil
Old 18 November 2006, 03:42 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

GC8 + NeilT,

Many thanks for the replies. I've still got a couple of questions though. I've got DVDDecrypter and it has now reduced my test DVD (Underworld Evolution) from 47 files to the 6 main movie files that are still approx 1 Gb each. I'm still left with large multiple files that need to be converted, shrunk and spliced together. Is that what PocketDIXV Encoder does? I'm currently converting files at the moment with PocketDIXV Encoder but its taking hours and I'm not sure what I'm going to be left with. Am I doing something wrong as this whole process just seems to be taking hours to do?

Craig.
Old 18 November 2006, 04:13 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i dont think pocketdivx is very good, the best one is what i use and its IMTOO 3gp video converter, it even converts the films so you can watch them on your phone
Old 18 November 2006, 04:42 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Stevebt,

IMTOO 3gp video converter looks like a decent program, but It doesnt look like it will convert from DVD. Thanks for the tip.

Craig.
Old 18 November 2006, 04:47 PM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Magic dvd ripper will rip a dvd straight to avi or whatever file type you want
Old 18 November 2006, 07:00 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CRAIGFIN
GC8 + NeilT,

Many thanks for the replies. I've still got a couple of questions though. I've got DVDDecrypter and it has now reduced my test DVD (Underworld Evolution) from 47 files to the 6 main movie files that are still approx 1 Gb each. I'm still left with large multiple files that need to be converted, shrunk and spliced together. Is that what PocketDIXV Encoder does? I'm currently converting files at the moment with PocketDIXV Encoder but its taking hours and I'm not sure what I'm going to be left with. Am I doing something wrong as this whole process just seems to be taking hours to do?

Craig.
As I said earlier, in my experience, its faster to simply record straight into the Archos using the TV pod (worth the £30 ish). Just set it going and leave it to it. Thats how most of mine made it over.

Otherwise, a lot of faffing around with dvd programs I'm afraid

Neil
Old 18 November 2006, 07:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CRAIGFIN
GC8 + NeilT,

Craig.
PocketDivX Encoder will take an unencrypted MPEG2 video and convert it to DivX (MPEG4). Steve and I may be using different versions (assuming that we are both refering to the same application), but in my experience the results have been excellent, at the resolutions Ive stated; and Im a harsh critic. If youre going to use software, rather than the dock mentioned, the Id suggest using DVDDecrypter in IFO mode. Itll decrypt all the .vob and part .vob files needed for the stream selected. Youll be left with a .ifo file, a .bup (a backup of it) and a number of large .vob files: when you have to 'open a video' click on the .ifo file and the application will open and process each .vob in the correct order (the audio stream can be hit and miss; its usually '1' for the main soundtrack but if youre unsure do a short clip first). As freeware PockerDivX Encoder isnt the most intuitive application but if you play around with it youll work out how to set the quality and resolution options: Id recommend using the two-pass option.

Simon
Old 18 November 2006, 07:38 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Simon,

I think I've cracked it. I finally did the movie using PocketDivX encoder and the quality was outstanding. I'm not quite sure how I did it. I only selected one of the 6 movie files to encode to check the quality and the program just seemed to grab all the others and splice them together. Well happy.

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 18 November 2006, 07:40 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

download a copy of xilsoft video converter. it will do everything you need.

hope that helps.

james
Old 20 November 2006, 12:12 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

i have an av500, does the 700 work differently as i just plug mine into the docking station to copy from dvd or sky, or is what has been desribed above a better way?