Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What a rubbish idea.

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2006, 11:40 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What a rubbish idea.

Hi folks, sorry it's the worst title ever.I would go to the government house and chuck all the rubbish from Stoke - On - Trent in their faces. See how they like it the *****. What are you guys and gals, saying about this stupid idea they concocted.
Old 17 November 2006, 11:42 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

A little bit of background might help us to be able to comment.
Old 17 November 2006, 11:46 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Sorry bubba, it's about the new law on household waste.
Old 17 November 2006, 11:51 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Can you elucidate even further?
Old 17 November 2006, 11:53 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I think its agreat idea

all houses should recycle and if the council tax comesdown £100 a year fantastic !!!

I have no problem with a bin collection every 2 weeks and recycling on alternative weeks .

at the end of the day we are running out of space for Rubbish and heavy fines will be put on councils by central govt unless they increase their recyling

this could be a BIG debate
Old 18 November 2006, 12:18 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

We have our recycling collected every week and our normal bin every 2 weeks. Never have any problem with our bin rotting, and it has bags of emptied litter trays etc eheheh
Old 18 November 2006, 12:20 AM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

We recyle too, but the thing that is annoying me is if we make a mistake by dropping a beer can in the black bin liner, we will be taken to court and fined alot of money. Somebody was on tele tonight talking about all this. Also the bin men don't take all of the rubbish.
Old 18 November 2006, 12:44 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

thing is i somehow doubt u will see ur bill come down by £100-all they will do is say put ur bill up by £200 next year but say well it would have gone up by £300 if u hadn't recycled-when its all bollocks cos it would have still gone up by £200-call me cynical but thats my view.
Old 18 November 2006, 01:00 AM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

I agree OPM, the prices will sky rocket same as everything else.Over the course of the year the wages will adjust slightly, but most of the other prices will increase dramatically same as before.
Old 18 November 2006, 09:23 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

my grandma go a letter 2 weeks ago saying "we no take plastic bottles in the green recycle boxes......blah blah blah"

whole street had plastic bottles in their gardens because the recycle bin men wouldnt take them.

these people coming up with these ideas are thick as ****! imagine if this new law was imposed on all these people who thought they were doing right.
Old 18 November 2006, 09:30 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I'd buy shares in companies that make waste disposal units - they'll be designing one that fits neatly over the loo so that you can put half your waste directly into the sewerage system. Watch out for a new breed of super rat Also local beauty spots will have even more bags of rubbish dumped on them.
Old 18 November 2006, 09:48 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The WHOLE thing is badly thought out, and has been implemented in a rush by the Labout government, as it "came down from Brussels eeek".

Other European countries are going a bit slower.

At the moment, over 50% of the paper we recycle in this country is shipped abroad. Much is taken to 3rd world countries who burn it for us, as they don't have the recycling plants either. Still, better to pollute their air, not ours

Aluminium is mostly exported too, same reason.

Glass........well, how much stuff comes in glass now????

And plastic.........virtually NO councils are collecting it, and yet it makes up over 50% of packaging. Why? No facilities to recycle or sort.

Take into account the COST of shipping abroad, the cost of building recycling plants and the extra greenhouse gases produced by both, and we'd have been better off paying any fines

Apparently, the whole landfill thing was pushed through the European parliament by the Dutch and the Danes, as they had run out of landfill sites

Alcazar
Old 18 November 2006, 10:53 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Collect my bin once a fortnight? Watch me fly tip I will not be dictated to by my council.
Old 18 November 2006, 11:04 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Do your fly tipping on the council hall doorstep then! That would concentrate their minds.

Les
Old 18 November 2006, 11:34 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Where I live we have 3 wheelie bins

Blue for recycling which takes paper, tin/ally, cardboard, junk mail and plastic but NOT shredded paper, plastic bags (tescos type) or glass.

Brown for garden and vegetable waste

Black for gash and other household waste not covered by the two above or recyclable elsewhere

Blue & Brown are collected once every two weeks and likewise the Black one but on the alternate week.

We don't use our Brown as we have enough of a garden to not require it (compost piles) & I use it to store twigs for firelighters

Blue one is always chocker & black one is always about 1/4 full max

We have a very good local tip for other items.

The thing that gets me is the plastic carrier bags. I would have thought one of the most wasteful and polluting items around. I generally bundle a dozen into one, compress it all and hide in the middle of the blue bin. I've been told that lose ones knacker their sorting machine, so guess if they're all bundled together it will be alright.

My parents in Ireland have to pay 5 euro for a tag to go on black plastic bag. No tag and it doesn't go. The try and only put in food waste that they can't compost. They have to separate out all their rubbish but the local tip is very good and there are segments for everything including lightbulbs and thats free.

Also, where my folks live they are not allowed to have a garden bonfire! So an easy way of destroying paper/cardboard is not available to them.

Big pain in the bum for a mum in her 70s caring full time for an 88 yr old dad
Old 18 November 2006, 11:41 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i *think* i am lucky in that i have a massive "biffa bin" here at work, which i can dump pretty much anything into

there are recycle bins at home for the block of apartments but i have only ever put bottles in the glass one, the garden rubbish one is a waste of time, as the management company pays landscapers to come around and sort the gardens out, and they take most there crap away with them
Old 18 November 2006, 12:11 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!

The thing that gets me is the plastic carrier bags. I would have thought one of the most wasteful and polluting items around. I generally bundle a dozen into one, compress it all and hide in the middle of the blue bin. I've been told that lose ones knacker their sorting machine, so guess if they're all bundled together it will be alright.
So why don't you re-use them then?

For example I keep a couple of carrier bags in the boot of my car just in case I need to pick something up from the supermarket on my way home from work.

It's not that difficult really.
Old 18 November 2006, 12:39 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Retailers should take part of the "blame". Packaging is a nightmare nowadays, and don't even get me started on blister packs! Whoever invented those wrappings-of-the-devil needs to be shot.
Old 18 November 2006, 12:44 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
Retailers should take part of the "blame". Packaging is a nightmare nowadays, and don't even get me started on blister packs! Whoever invented those wrappings-of-the-devil needs to be shot.
Business and govt take the blame? Never, it's always the consumers fault so they can be made to pay more taxes.

eg:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/6150240.stm
Old 18 November 2006, 01:27 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cottonfoo

I am rather surprised that one of the big supermarkets hasn't cottoned on to the idea of providing re-usable packagaing - say a plastic box with their name on - that customers use to take back and re-fill with items that they purchase regularly like say cornflakes, tea bags, flour, 6-packs or whatever. It would make them look "green" and would save a fair bit on unnecessary boxes and cellophane? Or even as a starting point have bins outside so customers can return packaging. dl
Old 18 November 2006, 01:37 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock

I am rather surprised that one of the big supermarkets hasn't cottoned on to the idea of providing re-usable packagaing - say a plastic box with their name on - that customers use to take back and re-fill with items that they purchase regularly like say cornflakes, tea bags, flour, 6-packs or whatever. It would make them look "green" and would save a fair bit on unnecessary boxes and cellophane? Or even as a starting point have bins outside so customers can return packaging. dl

Biodegradeable bags

Infact - brown paper bags!! What an awesome idea!!

Old 18 November 2006, 05:56 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

A normal, everyday plastic bag takes over 100 years to degrade. I can see in a small way why the Government and local councils are encouraging this re-cycling palava. But on the other hand, it is totally unacceptable, judging on the size of the bins that we get.
My refuse is collected on alternate weeks, i.e one week household, then green waste the week after so on and so forth.
What I don`t understand is why you can`t use your large Green bin over the winter months as the green waste period is over for re-cycling your empty plastic bottles in etc
Rant Over
Anthony
Old 18 November 2006, 07:35 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

It's a huge pain in the ***. Over here in Germany, everything must be separated, and there are "Gash Gestapo" to enforce. Get caught putting something in the wrong bin--FINE. Some items don't fit in any bin discription, so your house ends up full of **** that can't be thrown out until someone in the area hires a skip for building work.
Why can't I just throw the crap away? Why aren't there conveyers at the recycling site, manned by Poles and Bosnian refugees to sort the crap?

The Bio bins are honking as well.
Old 18 November 2006, 11:22 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a brown bin for all my rubbish, gets emptied once a week

I have a green one too, gets emptied once a fortnight, takes about a year for me to fill it though

Have a black box too, but I use that to keep oddments in, in the garage
Old 19 November 2006, 08:13 AM
Rage!
BANNED

Bring your own plastic tubs into the supermarket and transfer all the food into the tubs and leave the packaging on the supermarket floor for them to deal with!
Old 19 November 2006, 08:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

We have two very large Sainsburys" carriers, very strong, paid about 60p for each, IIRC, and they replace them free if they break, also IIRC.

I DO keep plastic carriers, and the TESCO ones break down after about a year, into tiny litle pieces. ARE they biodegradeable?

Alcazar