Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Disk brakes on a pushchair?

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2006, 02:16 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disk brakes on a pushchair?

I didn't believe my mate (whose wife is expecting) but he's just asked me what the point is with disk brakes on a pushchair. I just had a look at some site and yep, you can buy prams and pushchairs with a disk brake. Can someone tell me the point in that?

Steve.
Old 26 October 2006, 02:18 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Is it a McLaren Push Chair ??
Old 26 October 2006, 02:20 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Heh, no, it was a Jane Slalom Pro 3-wheeler. Stupid name as well. I wonder if they're cable operated, or hydraulic ... dot 5.1 and babies go darn well together.
Old 26 October 2006, 02:38 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

after being suitably suspicious of disk brakes and there requirement on a pushcair, I have to admit they are bloody useful!

If you are going downhill, the pushchair can pull you down the hill uncomfortably fast, whereas with a discbrake, yoiu can gently apply the brake to keep the pushchair at a comfortable speed, much less strain on the backs of the legs I can tell thee.....

Where as lesser pushchairs have an ON or OFF brake, the gradual nature of the discbrake makes this a much more pleasant experience.

God this is a sad post......
Old 26 October 2006, 02:38 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got that one. Cable operated.

Never experienced any other brake (or pushchair), so can't tell you if it's better or worse. Can squeak occasionally, and I've no idea how or why. Took it to the shop and to my horror they sprayed it with lubricant - but they claim it was the hub which squeaked and was sprayed.
Old 26 October 2006, 04:58 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
after being suitably suspicious of disk brakes and there requirement on a pushcair, I have to admit they are bloody useful!

If you are going downhill, the pushchair can pull you down the hill uncomfortably fast, whereas with a discbrake, yoiu can gently apply the brake to keep the pushchair at a comfortable speed, much less strain on the backs of the legs I can tell thee.....

Where as lesser pushchairs have an ON or OFF brake, the gradual nature of the discbrake makes this a much more pleasant experience.

God this is a sad post......
made me chuckle thou...I put "screw you gatso" and various (motor)bike stickers on my nippers buggy, made a sunday afternoon walk slightly more pleasent..dunno why but it did

Any other pram/buggy modders out there?
Old 26 October 2006, 05:02 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

If I ever fall into the buggy-owning category I will definitely be modifying it, personally I'd like a set of chrome spinners
Old 26 October 2006, 05:05 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brybusa
Any other pram/buggy modders out there?
You kidding, you seen the initial price of a Jané Slalom Pro?

The main mod we got was a replacement, McLaren-style, for taking on aircraft.
Old 26 October 2006, 05:57 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I went to look at pushchairs in Mothercare and came out even more confused. They're a bit complicated these days aren't they?
Old 26 October 2006, 06:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

TB, I did stacks of research. Do you know what you want to use it for?
Old 26 October 2006, 08:18 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Disc brakes on a pushchair, ahhh, when i was a lad we had to make do with drum brakes all round,emergency stops were really scary
Old 26 October 2006, 10:01 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
TB, I did stacks of research. Do you know what you want to use it for?
Ah just the man then! My wife wants the sort that you can unclip the seat and put it straight into the car. Something that could go off road a bit would be useful. Don't even know what to look for really
Old 26 October 2006, 10:16 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

One that fits in the boot helps
Old 26 October 2006, 10:26 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Had to fix a family Jane pushchair a few times - for a start the cable operated disk brake needs adjusting every other week, bearings all seem to made of cheese, etc etc. The actual "baby" bits of it though, are (it seems), very good. Not that I would know...

Old 27 October 2006, 08:44 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Ah just the man then! My wife wants the sort that you can unclip the seat and put it straight into the car. Something that could go off road a bit would be useful. Don't even know what to look for really
We have an Ingelsina Zippy for our little 'un. It's a travel system, so the car seat clips onto the top of the pushchair, but you can use the pushchair alone. The good thing is as well that the pushchair folds up quite nicely too - not too big.

Not so sure about going off road - the front wheels do lock which is supposed to help on rough ground, but it is definitely happier on the pavement.

No disk brakes though, but it does have a cup holder...
Old 27 October 2006, 09:31 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Previous thread - https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ir-advice.html

1. How often will you go on public transport (bus, metro) or into small shops?
2. How big is your car boot, and what else goes in there too, if anything?
3. How big/strong/petite is your wife, for lifting it in/out of the car?

In the end we went for the Jané Slalom Pro, and a Rebel (normal) car seat. It is more expensive, but I believe it's lighter, and it certainly folds up to ISTR 88cm long, whereas others seem to be 95cm-100+, and it makes a difference in our car boot when we are trying to get the dog in there as well. We wanted to get the Matrix seat, which folds down to a flat carrycot, but on trying in the car we found that the seatbelt wasn't long enough to go round the (swollen) Matrix seat. I see Maxi-Cosi now do a similar flat-folding seat, which presumably plugs into their wide range of prams, and I think the Mutsy range as well. I also see that the Matrix seat didn't do too well in safety tests, unlike the Rebel.

Not a great fan of the Jané's suspension - sprung stuff like the Loola looks better, though haven't tried it - but wife is convinced that bigger wheels help. If I was designing it I'd also put a double front wheel on, like on some of the Maxi-Cosi ones, as you have better stability going up kerbs - but we haven't found that to be a huge problem with ours.
Old 27 October 2006, 12:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its for a quick stop to avoid running into a disabled person whom they did not see because they don't look!

Les
Old 27 October 2006, 04:49 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

After my experience of one baby, and now half way through our second you need TWO pushchairs.

A 3 wheeler with pneumatic tyres, biggish wheels & obligatory disk braking system.....this is for rough ground, beach, general offroad, walks in the woods etc.

A small 'city' pushchair for everyday use 'round town.

I will explain:-

The big 3 wheeler is a much more comfortable ride, they are usually travel systems, so seat clips stright into car, this ceases to be an issue after 6 months anyway, dont think they stay ickle!! 6 months is max in travel system car seat generally. But retain the 3 wheeler for days out int country/beach.
3 wheelers DON'T fold small - something to think about when you are trying to pack to go on a fortnight's holiday with 2 kids, travel cot, buggy, etc etc

The small city one is perfect for nipping around town in, get one that reclines, baby is fine in it, they are really light, fold to a 1/3 of the size of a 3 wheeler, easy to fold & move on buses etc. much smaller physically to push around shops which are NOT designed with pushchairs in mind!

therefore we have a Mothercare Travel System 3 wheeler (big) and a Graco Citysport plus (small), we also have a Jane PowerTwin 2 seater for the couple of months we needed both in a pushchair. Megadosh, never used now Older one wont go in pushchair now, pointless for one.

The small city one gets used 90% of the time and was a about £90........

I knew I would be useful on here one day
Old 29 October 2006, 11:12 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Any benefits in fitting braided hoses?
Old 29 October 2006, 11:30 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They give you a better feel for things Pete T

Les
Old 29 October 2006, 06:51 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

^^What Dr Hu Said^^ Essential that the little chair reclines.

But - you bought a PowerTwin for two months?
Old 29 October 2006, 07:51 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

18 months ago for our daughter we bought a:

Jane Carrera C (4 wheeler)
Jane Matrix car seat (Group 0 - lie flat/Group 0+ - upright)

When our daughter was 9 months, we swapped the Matrix car seat for a Maxi Cosy Proxy car seat.

Our son was born 6 days ago, and we are using the Jane Matrix and Carrera C again.

We also got a Mothercare Urban pushchair which is a three wheeler, perfect for those country walks as we now live in the sticks!!!

So we have two children, two pushchairs, two car seats, a sling, reigns and about to purchase a buggy board.

I'm sure between all of those options, we pretty much have it covered and won't need a double buggy!
Old 29 October 2006, 09:14 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

We have the Jane 3 wheel pushchair and I can confirm the disk brake needs adjusting regularly. Also carrying a puncture repair kit is recommended. I found that unless you removed the wheels getting it in the Impreza was a pain in the ****.

Now our daughter is older we have a Mothers and Pappas hand me down buggy which is great as it folds up small, and most importanly as two steps at the back. The result is she stands on the step, and all the shopping goes in the buggy!
Old 29 October 2006, 09:33 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

But - you bought a PowerTwin for two months?
I know I know.....Its a nightmare....

It DID have its uses for a couple of months, whilst our newest baby was little, but our oldest now walks everywhere, so won't go in the pushchair and does'nt need to really, so it was an expensive 'stop gap'!......its taking up space in the garage now....it will have to go soon.....it has'nt turned a wheel for at least 6 months...

I did question how long we would use it when we bought it, but I got 'the look' from she who must be obeyed.....I know where I stand
Old 30 October 2006, 12:29 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

doctor hu is spot on. I have an M and P pramette fo lightness to throw in and out of the car and a thing called an Apple I candy that cost about the same as a subaru that is used for off roading and has all the extras attached. My advice would be to not worry about the car seat attachments its a waste of money and will hardlry ever get used.
Old 30 October 2006, 12:06 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

We have one of these

Suspension is fantastic