Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gaining money by deception

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2006, 09:30 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gaining money by deception

I have been talking to my brother in laws neighbour today. He works for the serious crime squad, and i was explaining a thing or two today about recent happenings. After our conversation he looked at me with that very blank unemotional look that old bill like him have, and said, that is the same as gaining money by deception. What is your view on gaining money by deception, because my eyes have been opened well and truely. Oh and deception that can be linked to past activitys can and will get you locked up, so he told me today, so i would be interested to hear what you lot think it counts as,because i was very surprised.

Last edited by webby v7 slipperwagon; 25 October 2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 25 October 2006, 09:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id disagree. I have heard experienced Policemen talk the most unbelievable ****e about what people can be charged with though (lets face it; you hope for them but there a few Inspector Morses to be found)..... To convict him of a criminal offence you have to establish his criminal intent (a simple example would be demostrated where two people both commit the same act -say break a car door lock- where one was trying to help you to get into your locked car; and the other was trying to steal it. They both stuck a f*ck-off sized screwdriver into the keyhole but even though they both committed the same act and they both caused similar damage only one was guilty of any offence); and this would be virtually impossible without a confession.

As the car was dangerous and selling a car in that state is not permitted then; these are the best grounds that you have for proceeding, in my opinion.

Simon
Old 25 October 2006, 09:51 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GC8
Id disagree. I have heard experienced Policemen talk the most unbelievable ****e about what people can be charged with though (lets face it; you hope for them but there a few Inspector Morses to be found)..... To convict him of a criminal offence you have to establish his criminal intent (a simple example would be demostrated where two people both commit the same act -say break a car door lock- where one was trying to help you to get into your locked car; and the other was trying to steal it. They both stuck a f*ck-off sized screwdriver into the keyhole but even though they both committed the same act and they both caused similar damage only one was guilty of any offence); and this would be virtually impossible without a confession.

As the car was dangerous and selling a car in that state is not permitted then; these are the best grounds that you have for proceeding, in my opinion.

Simon

One notable judge of yore stated during a trial 'it is as difficult to ascertain the state of a person's mind as it is the state of their digestion'.
Old 25 October 2006, 09:53 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Well deception covers a multitude of sins, but mostly of DISHONESTY, your roof needs fixing/your brakes are shagged/this is a brand new engine/nothing to declare. If you knowingly perform a service that is not true to that consulted or advertised and you knowingly and willingly take reward for that service, be it selling/performing a said act/or advising in a said act, plus quite a few more. Then you are gaining reward by DECEPTION. It has nothing to do with robbery/theft or the attempted of the act of either mentioned. Oh i was also tlod this by my mums gaffer, and he works as a recovery agent against firms and private individuals. I used to dislike hat the old lady did as a job, now i think it's ace.
Old 25 October 2006, 09:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Mens rea is the legal term; establishing that isnt likely without a confession or substantial evidence
Old 25 October 2006, 09:57 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
One notable judge of yore stated during a trial 'it is as difficult to ascertain the state of a person's mind as it is the state of their digestion'.
Blimey i never realised that friday the 13th was pope greg's doing
Old 25 October 2006, 10:02 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

actions speak louder than words, i wouldnt be posting on here if someone ripped me off id be caving his skull in
Old 25 October 2006, 10:10 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Mens rea is the legal term; establishing that isnt likely without a confession or substantial evidence
You may be right,so continue to gather i shall. Mind you if i advertised to fit you a brand new kitchen or rebuild your house and at the end of it you had a dodgy boged kitchen and a house not as promised or desribed, would you not feel deceived? And there i lay the grounds, i deceived you. For what i said to do or tell or make, was not as fortold and you received a service/item not as was said. i/e i advertise that i will SELL you a chocolate cake for £3-50 and will tell you all about the ingreadients. Then you receive only the cake, but you promised to give me a chocolate cake and divulgde all the ingreadients for said money.but all you gave me was the cake, Were you deceived by me or not. A lie is deception in any form or shape.

Last edited by webby v7 slipperwagon; 25 October 2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 25 October 2006, 10:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO
actions speak louder than words, i wouldnt be posting on here if someone ripped me off id be caving his skull in
Did that happen in Fleetwood fella.....?

Old 25 October 2006, 11:33 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Did that happen in Fleetwood fella.....?

i wish one day Simon one day

the proofs in the pudding if you do something about a problem it may get resolved. i decided to go up there and comeback with my money or my car alot of people did nothing and got nothing.
Old 25 October 2006, 11:49 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

the problem as Simon has stated is you would have to prove mens rea in order to bring a case against the said person. I think you will really struggle because you would have to therefore prove that he was fully aware of what he was doing and then did it anyway. If that was the case and you could prove it then you would have a good chance at taking legal action against him for that. As this crime that he has committed would be tested in court subjectively then you would have to prove that he knew about all the problems and deliberatly then decided not to tell you about them in order to gain money from you.
I have read the other thread and can see why your fuming as i would be. I also think your right to try and stich him up for everything you can.
Edited because i now know what i said here to be irrelevant!!

Last edited by rossi_classicwrx; 26 October 2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:36 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the above post. I have just been made aware of the actual situation and some of the details of it. The bloke has obvioulsy committed this offence and the case against him would infact be very strong. This exact route is a criminal matter and would not so much get the money back (when found guilty the following civil case would sort that out!!) but would quite likely have a very severe criminal punishment imposed. I will have to look at the exact sentance you could be looking at for commiting this but i imagine there is the possibility of a fair bit of picking up the soap time (time in Jail).
If i was the seller of the car i would cough up the money and come to an agreement with the seller so that it doesn't have to come to all this. He'll loose far more than the cost of refunding the car if he is convicted of the above offence!!
Old 26 October 2006, 02:17 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

majority of coppers are full of ****e, i wouldn't give them the time of day TBH
Old 26 October 2006, 03:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I dont doubt that the weasel did it rossi; I do doubt that a criminal conviction could be gained though.

Simon
Old 26 October 2006, 04:10 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
majority of coppers are full of ****e, i wouldn't give them the time of day TBH
Hows the head, and did you get the plaster board sorted in the bathroom Bloody hell what if it had been tiled
Old 26 October 2006, 06:38 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
Blimey i never realised that friday the 13th was pope greg's doing

Old 26 October 2006, 07:48 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

I was doing a search for my daughters book superstitions etc.. and your friday 13th post came up.
Old 26 October 2006, 07:54 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I dont doubt that the weasel did it rossi; I do doubt that a criminal conviction could be gained though.

Simon
I've done a fair bit of study on this since my chat with my bil's neighbour and you would be very surprised simon. But not that surprised, after all if you set out to deceive in any form,and succeed (isn't that what a toothless parrott does lol) then you have achieved what you set out to do. I can't post it on here but........well it's as it states.
Old 26 October 2006, 07:57 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
I was doing a search for my daughters book superstitions etc.. and your friday 13th post came up.

Oh I see.
Old 26 October 2006, 09:06 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Oh I see.
Very impressed by some of your other posts as well, very enjoyable
Old 26 October 2006, 09:11 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior