Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Copying wedding photos

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2006, 07:16 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Copying wedding photos

My wife and I want to copy a few wedding photos that we have. We don't have the negatives and have no way of getting them either. Is there anywhere the pictures can be sent so that they can be reproduced to a good enough quality for displaying?

Ta

Steve
Old 28 September 2006, 07:19 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
My wife and I want to copy a few wedding photos that we have. We don't have the negatives and have no way of getting them either. Is there anywhere the pictures can be sent so that they can be reproduced to a good enough quality for displaying?

Ta

Steve
Boots can copy from a photo - i think it depends on size as to how good they come out as iirc they make a negative from the picture and then reproduce it.

Alternatively, scan them
Old 28 September 2006, 07:25 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

if they are photos from the phographer wont they be copyrighted???

my little brother had his school photo done and when i took that to be copyed and make a bigger print they said that it was copyrighted and they wouldnt do it!
Old 28 September 2006, 07:27 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Have they got a professional stamp on the back? If so you might run into copyright problems. dl
Old 28 September 2006, 07:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

2nd as usual

But I guess not or else Steve could just phone and get some done......
Old 28 September 2006, 07:29 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Have they got a professional stamp on the back? If so you might run into copyright problems. dl
No, they were taken by an amateur.

Steve
Old 28 September 2006, 09:21 PM
jackwrx
Scooby Regular

If they have a company stamp on the back, you can easily remove this with white spirits and cotton wool. My local photo shop did this for me.
Old 28 September 2006, 09:50 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

go into a local photo shop they should be able to do it for you and make them bigger if thats what you want i did it with max spielmens (sp) ages ago and they came out really good
Old 29 September 2006, 07:09 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

If you contracted the Photographer to do the job, i.e. take pics at your wedding, then the copyright is yours, you dont own the material, the negatives but you can copy the pics to your hearts content without worrying about copyright, it does not always belong to the photographer. Try a good photographic shop such as Jessops they should be able to help.
Old 29 September 2006, 08:46 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
If you contracted the Photographer to do the job, i.e. take pics at your wedding, then the copyright is yours, you dont own the material, the negatives but you can copy the pics to your hearts content without worrying about copyright, it does not always belong to the photographer. Try a good photographic shop such as Jessops they should be able to help.
NOT TRUE - even if you have contracted a photographer to photograph a wedding the copyright (in respect to producing copies of the photographs, and not publishing use) WILL ALWAYS stay with the photographer, the client does not own the copyright unless ALL RIGHTS are signed away in the contract, in which case the negatives will be given to the client.

If you "copy the pics to you're hearts content" you are breaching copyright - thats how photographers make the money by selling reprints and duplicate sets. If the above was the case, then everyone would just pay for a Proof album, remove the logo and scan/print the photographs themselves.

If the photograph was taken by a guest then although the copyright is theirs, I'd be surprised if they were to object to you making some copies - in fact I'd reckon they'd be only too chuffed.
Old 29 September 2006, 09:51 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GarethE
NOT TRUE - even if you have contracted a photographer to photograph a wedding the copyright (in respect to producing copies of the photographs, and not publishing use) WILL ALWAYS stay with the photographer, the client does not own the copyright unless ALL RIGHTS are signed away in the contract, in which case the negatives will be given to the client.

If you "copy the pics to you're hearts content" you are breaching copyright - thats how photographers make the money by selling reprints and duplicate sets. If the above was the case, then everyone would just pay for a Proof album, remove the logo and scan/print the photographs themselves.

If the photograph was taken by a guest then although the copyright is theirs, I'd be surprised if they were to object to you making some copies - in fact I'd reckon they'd be only too chuffed.
Indeed in virtually all cases the copyright of a wedding photographer remains with the photogapher. Check the small print of the contract!

However as long as a photo does not say it is copyright, or clearly odentified as having been taken by a professional then most photo processors should be able to make copies of the photo.

Some will scan it, others will take a photograph of it and then process that.
Old 29 September 2006, 10:01 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
Indeed in virtually all cases the copyright of a wedding photographer remains with the photogapher. Check the small print of the contract!

However as long as a photo does not say it is copyright, or clearly odentified as having been taken by a professional then most photo processors should be able to make copies of the photo.

Some will scan it, others will take a photograph of it and then process that.
The fact that it doesn't say COPYRIGHT or have the photographers ID on the back of the photo doesn't mean its exempt, or that it is therefore OK to copy it. A number of labs will ask whether you have permission to copy it if they believe the photograph is a pro pic (or at least they should) as they are the ones breaking the law by copying it - of course if you tell them you have permission when you don't then you are liable.

Of course what they do and what they SHOULD do is often down to the guy behind the counter - yes most lab will be able to copy the pic no problem
Old 29 September 2006, 10:09 AM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

I got decent results (good enough to put in a frame) simply by scanning the photo on my all-in-one printer, scanner, copier (just a bog standard one - nothing special). I used proper photo paper though (essential). Try it; you may be surprised.