Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone work for Goldman Sachs?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2006, 03:54 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone work for Goldman Sachs?

just wondering what the work environment/culture is like.

Any info would be helpful...
Old 21 September 2006, 04:28 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

New contract coming up?

Old 21 September 2006, 04:29 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

In what capacity, ChefDude? IT geek? Chef?!
Old 21 September 2006, 04:36 PM
Pedro_79
Scooby Regular

Probably bull, but I heard they sack people with worrying regularity to keep the rest of the workforce on their toes...
Old 21 September 2006, 04:36 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

IT. front office. OTC Derivatives. Permie.

just curious.
Old 21 September 2006, 04:39 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Yep it's a good place, very professional. But a culture of presenteeism, and yes they do continually and carefully monitor performance. Having said that i know a few people there and they all love the place, and as a techie you'll be given access to the best resources. It's not quite the same kudos as being in the NY outfit, but it's certainly a decent career move, and will look great on the CV when you move on. Certainly give it serious consideration.
Old 21 September 2006, 04:43 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

excellent, thanks.

they do seem to pay well, so i imagine they would 'monitor' staff.
Old 21 September 2006, 04:51 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I gather they also expect their pound of flesh. Expect to work very hard and do long hours for your coin. Many people a GS burn out in their late 20's early 30's.
Old 21 September 2006, 04:52 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I know someone who is on their graduate training programme - after completing a degree at the London Business School. He went through an amazing amount of interviews and is now expected to work some serious hours. However, for those who make it to partner level - the rewards are potentially phenomenal.
Old 21 September 2006, 04:54 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Goldman are always linked with a kind of "perfectionist" lable and they are one of the elite's, but as in monitoring staff it's like most places.
You do the work and don't mess around you'll be left alone, start slacking and they'll hold true to there are plenty more people out there willing to have a bite.

Don't even give interviews if you don't have a degree....
Old 21 September 2006, 05:09 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i don't have a degree
Old 21 September 2006, 05:13 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

He meant for the proper jobs
Old 21 September 2006, 05:16 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

fair point
Old 21 September 2006, 05:16 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

by degree then, he probably means an MBA from Harvard
Old 21 September 2006, 05:18 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
He meant for the proper jobs
I thought that was based on your tie
Old 21 September 2006, 05:27 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Been there, got the job, then was sacked :-)

Yep, Goldman's ! Nice place to work. Impressive building, off Fleet street. I got a sun / solaris unix crontact, supporting some trade floor, cant remember which one now. Remember the guys names I worked for / with Paul Teese and Sid.

Used to have free drinks at the end of each desk, cans of coke, etc etc. Working environment was pleasent, but long hours. My contract was based on an 8 hour day, but was expected to work 10. So, remember that if you are going on a day rate, which at the time I was.

There were more permies than contractors when I was working there. So, there was a little bit of hate towards us etc. I had an 8 30 mins interviews with 8 different people. A real ball breaker of a grilling. Personality tests, skills test etc.

Anyway, cut a long story short, got the contract, but managed to get sacked 2 weeks later for internet abuse ! :-) Nope, wasnt ****, but it was in the day when FHM.co.uk have a forum, old style, you'd log in leave messages etc. Anyway, myself and a few guys were on there, chatting, when suddenly someone logged onto the forum, and told me who I was, were I worked and even what I was wearing !!!

Quickly logged out, deleted my netscape cache etc, I was ona solaris box at the time running a netscape session. 10 mins later, security were at my desk "Please step away from the desk sir !". Trade floor went quiet !

Anyway, got taken infront of a board of directors, I never denied using the internet, I never signed any forms about internet usage and was ignorant ( remember this was back in 1996/97 ), got suspended, but they paid my entire 3 month contract. So, took 3 months off, down the beach, paid.

Very embrassing at the time, but character building. 8 years later, I met someone from Goldmans on a Client shin-dig, held by Sun. Was talking to him about my time there, who I was, and how I got sacked. Turns out I was the first person ever to get sacked for that, name has gone down in Goldman folk law, although it now seems I was downloading **** and wanking at my desk ! hahaaha chinese whispers ! hahaha

Would I work there again ? yes, as once in, they like to keep hold of you, well, if you dont surf the net for chat sites.

SBK

Last edited by sbk1972; 21 September 2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 21 September 2006, 05:42 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i've worked for hedge funds, so know about the standard 11-12 hour days.

good info. cheers.
Old 21 September 2006, 05:44 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I heard you don't join Goldman Sachs - you marry them. They virtually take over your life. Rewards can be fantastic of course. Not for the squeamish or for those who want a full social life.
Old 21 September 2006, 05:51 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sbk1972
BTurns out I was the first person ever to get sacked for that, name has gone down in Goldman folk law, although it now seems I was downloading **** and wanking at my desk
Old 21 September 2006, 06:12 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Yep, Goldman Sachs, once in, you've made it. I used to know a guy called Anthony who was extremely high up in the IT department of Goldmans. He was only about 34/35, and was on a good £160K + bonus. I think he's now gone over to Chase Man. down in Bournemouth.

Once you get into the banking environment, its then easy to move about. I started life over in Normura , as lower trade floor support, did my tour of duty there for 6 months as a permy, then left to be a contractor, well couldnt beat them, so I joined them :-) I then moved around, Merryls, Goldmans, UBS, Dow Jones, Westpac, Bank of America.

However, dont let the hype of a bank, the snob value blind you. Banks are very departmentised, i.e. network team, intel team, changes team, dns team, etc etc. Therefore if you have a problem, you only did your area, and passed it onto the next team, which can be a right pain. Trade floor support is something you can only do for a year or so before you buy a gun, come to work and shoot everyone. You have about 25 help desk calls to deal with, whilst a fat trader is shouting at you in your ear to "Fix his F**KING server now".

If you starting in the IT world, smaller consultancies, companies offer better learning opportunies, i.e. you dabble with networks, intel, unix, dns, mail servers etc, as you have to be a jack of all trades. They dont tend to have all the teams and have an IT dept that deals with everything, which is a tremendous place to learn.

Money ? well, banks do pay well, large bonuses, but your expected to work the nights, weekends, all in hope you get that large bonus, which sometimes does come through. When it comes to bonus time, it pisses you off though when you only get £2K, but a trader gets £653K. You cant help but think, would he miss 3/6K ?? making yours £5/8K?.

Drinking ? I hope you like drinking, as boy, I got the taste whilst working in the city. Pitcher Paino every Wed / Thurs. YOu would be literally legging it over to the bar at 5pm. Most of the girls were from Essex, easy to pull, just dressed in nice suits. Easy pickins mate !!! :-) City used to go quiet around 10pm, so we'd go to Soho / Lester. sq. Zoo Bar ! Jug of cocktail for £10 !!!

Mmmm infact thinking about my years in the city has made me start laughing , as it was a great time. Happy days :-)

SBK

Last edited by sbk1972; 21 September 2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 22 September 2006, 09:32 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

sbk, this sounds like you're talking about a support role.

I would be working in a much different environment; talking to traders, rather than having them shout at me, not working nights and, most importantly, not getting a measly 2K bonus. Thankfully I'm in the nice position of being able to pick; don't get me wrong, I do have to finish the interview process, but I don't have to take the job

I quite like working only 8-9 hours a day, so I might have to rethink the GS thing. I'll ask for a tour I think.
Old 22 September 2006, 10:09 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

We're their couriers

Demanding...
Old 22 September 2006, 10:36 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

> although it now seems I was downloading **** and wanking at my desk !

PMSL
Old 22 September 2006, 10:45 AM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

you got sacked for being on a forum???

don't have partners any more I thought. Also heard that 5% get pushed every year, ie the lowest 5% on evaluation rankings etc. lots of long hours, but a good name to have on your cv.
Old 22 September 2006, 10:49 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

SBK, that harks back to former times. Believe me, things have changed. The drinking culture is way less now, and in general the sort of trading floor mavericks you're describing have all but disappeared - it's too competitive for people to get away with yelling at IT staff now. Yes the bonuses can be good but at Goldmans you'd need to be pretty senior to see much of that action.
Old 22 September 2006, 10:59 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

I'd rather earn half as much and work half the amount of time, pretty much what I do now, 30 something hours and out the door. Don't get too trapped in the 'i earn this amount' gang, far more to life than money. Currently work for an International IT company but cant be bothered going into town for the money.

TelBoy - wtf, 60k + posts !!
Old 22 September 2006, 12:06 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

I was there back in 97/98, so yes a long time ago, and by the sounds of it ,a different era. When I watch the financial news on tv, and they are interviewing people whilst on the trader floors, I can see that the hardware / desks have all changed now.

It looks more intel front end, and heavy weight unix kit down stairs. Mind you, I think Goldmans now are 99% linux ?? In my day, the trade floor was littered with sparc 20's, lx's, ultras, so different times.

Like all jobs, things get more competitive, more HR / more politically correct. There was never a dull day on the trade floor, arguments, swearing, and the number of storys I can tell you. From traders throwing mugs through their screen, paying for new ones with the credit cards there and then whilst laughing, to traders being walked off site / sacked, to witnessing a punch up in the gents ! :-)

Chefdude, the 2K bonus was an example, the permy guys did get more. Im a contractor, so I didnt get them, although in UBS I got a completion bonus of £30K+ when my contract finished and the Y2K went through seamlessly.

TedMaul - Yeap, got sacked for being on a forum. I was told that it represented GS in a negative light and wasnt work related. I didnt deny it either, I said I was on line, I hadnt sworn, or downloaded ****, etc etc. I told them that I hadnt signed / or seen any internet rules, and therefore used it accordingly. My boss agreed and said that technically it was his fault, so it was a difficult situation. It resulted in them paying me for my full contract term, although they were letting me go. However, I had to do nothing for 3 months, i.e. I wasnt allowed to work else where.

Telboy - I had heard that things werent as boisterous now. How the bonuses were shared out were never fair, and I heard various stories where amounts got increased, decreased by how you said hello to various people, as there used to be bonus meetings deciding who got what etc.

Whatever the case, I wish you the best matey. Its a nice part of the world to work in, especially summer times, the ladies :-) Also, near threatre land, soho, lots of good bars, so enjoy ! Also, cant do you know harm having GS on your CV. :-)

SBK

Last edited by sbk1972; 22 September 2006 at 12:20 PM.