Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Interior Design magazines

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2006, 08:52 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Design magazines

I'm soon to start doing up my flat and want to spend a few months buying magazines crammed full of pictures that might inspire and give me ideas. I'm looking for something like Homes & Gardens that is readily available at newsagents/tesco's but a magazine(s) that's more focused on contemporary interior design. All suggestions appreciated. Also if anyone knows any good/inspiriational websites by all means link them
Old 21 September 2006, 12:37 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

anyone
Old 21 September 2006, 12:57 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Try walking into Smiths or Borders and have a look for yourself
Old 21 September 2006, 01:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

duh......effort
Old 21 September 2006, 02:15 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Its a slippery slope mate - soon you'll be subscribing to Knitting and Fluffy Kittens monthly.

best bet ask a girl for inspiration!!!!
Old 21 September 2006, 03:53 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Looks like I'm going to have to be ******* and stand at the Tesco magazine rack thumbing through 'Home' mags!! Thumbing through top shelf mags I can handle but jeeeze this is low
Old 21 September 2006, 04:21 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Looks like I'm going to have to be ******* and stand at the Tesco magazine rack thumbing through 'Home' mags!! Thumbing through top shelf mags I can handle but jeeeze this is low

Living Etc is pretty good - er or so i've been told, not that i'd know you understand i mean i'm nae bufty boy like.

http://www.uksubscribe.com/sub_dept.asp?sub=22
Old 21 September 2006, 04:29 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic

i brought back from Spain the other week a mag called Casa Viva, size of a bible and all for under 3 euros, should only cost you a return flight to pick up a copy
Old 22 September 2006, 09:37 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

there are a few basic principles to bear in mind. these were passed on to me by an interior design myself and my colleague spent a day with touring other developers' show homes -
1. don't mix your metals - if you use polished chrome on the front door, use polished chrome throughout (ie not polished chrome taps in the bathroom with gold blingy bits on them).
2. don't mix your timbers - we tend to use light oak as it's a more "timeless" timber than others such as maple, beech etc which tend to be more 'fashion' timbers. i'm not saying they don't look good; just that a more timeless finish will look good for longer
3. obviously the neutral paint thing. we haven't used magnolia or white gloss for over 7 years now. we experimented with a few different (but simple colours), but are now using bs 22 b15 swansdown. we also match our skirtings and architraves to the wall colour, but in satinwood.
4. the neutral paint thing leads to a more versatile room - you can use pictures, cushions, etc etc around the rooms to highlight colour without having to redecorate. ie, our conservatory (between the kitchen and the garden, has a sofa in a similar colour to the light oak effect kitchen (kitchen and conservatory are both painted white), with a couple of large green cushions and a couple of dark red cushions. dark red ties in with some of the other bits in the house in the other rooms.

with all of the above combined, you won't necessarily think "wow" as you walk into a home, but we use the above to finish new homes where people walk in and need to be able to get through the property without picking out things they don't like - ie it's as inoffensive to as many people as possible, whilst being easy to personalise without too much effort. some would say we're guilty of building bland homes, but we regularly compare what we do with our competitors and firmly believe it's worth the effort

hth!
Old 22 September 2006, 12:20 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Nice one richard