Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hurricane flight last night...

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2006, 09:59 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't it the Lancaster that is very rare?
Old 11 September 2006, 10:03 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I too could watch them all day, the Hurricane is my favorite of the two, the Spitfire may be prettier however, i just love the lines and businesslike looks of the Hurricane.

Ohh and the sound of a V12 Merlin!

Not sure how many are left flying, believe the BBMF has two.
Old 11 September 2006, 10:25 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

AFAIK there is currently only one Hurricane in flying order anywhere. There are a couple more being restored, I think.

Spitfires are relatively plentiful as they were made for longer and were exported more (and built under licence overseas, too).

Agree with all the sentiments above though - fantastic sight and sound. One of the "Things to do before I die" for me is to get a ride in a Spit. Trouble is, I hate artificially restricted flights so I'll probably end up all frustrated and disappointed :9 Then again, maybe not...

SB
Old 11 September 2006, 10:31 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I helped out with a promenade concert some weeks back and they brought in Carolyn Grace, the world's only lady Spitfire pilot (AFAIK). She gave a display which started with her coming in lowish and then straight up. About 20 minutes in all. The orchestra were playing in the background. I heard later that some people suggested that the music drowned out the wonderful Merlin growl. I found it very moving. I also had the chance to say hello to Dame Vera Lynn who was guest of honour and looked an absolute star and as bright as a button. They are doing a concert for her 90th next year (all being well) and Elton John and Cliff Richard are just a couple of the performers. d

Last edited by David Lock; 11 September 2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11 September 2006, 10:38 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

There are two Hurricanes that I can think of, the BBMF have one and another chap has been displaying one this year, I'm almost certain that there are more. As for Spits, they're getting more and more common as people restore them!

Awesome planes!
Old 11 September 2006, 10:44 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Surviving airframes, http://www.battle-of-britain.com/BoB...icane_list.htm
Old 11 September 2006, 11:01 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley
One of the "Things to do before I die" for me is to get a ride in a Spit. Trouble is, I hate artificially restricted flights so I'll probably end up all frustrated and disappointed :9 Then again, maybe not...

SB
Don't they only have one seat too?
Old 11 September 2006, 11:02 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As far as I know there is only one flyable Lancaster left now, I had heard a rumour of there being one in Oz though.

Not sure how many Hurricanes left although I did see one in perfect looking condition in a hangar on Wisley airfield a few years ago. We owe as much to that aircraft as to the Spitfire of course.

There were eight Spitfires at Goodwood the other weekend which was really impressive.

Les
Old 11 September 2006, 11:05 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie
As far as I know there is only one flyable Lancaster left now, I had heard a rumour of there being one in Oz though.

Not sure how many Hurricanes left although I did see one in perfect looking condition in a hangar on Wisley airfield a few years ago. We owe as much to that aircraft as to the Spitfire of course.

There were eight Spitfires at Goodwood the other weekend which was really impressive.

Les
Yup, I know the lancaster in Oz, its one of the few thats still airborne too AFAIK
Old 11 September 2006, 11:33 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
I think some have two seats. Used for training for example.
Old 11 September 2006, 11:38 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Carolyn Grace's has 2 seats.

Some 2 seaters were made for training purposes.

J.
Old 11 September 2006, 02:04 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My best friend is rebuilding a Hurri Mk1 at the moment.
There are two main reasons for there being more spits. One more were produced. Hurris finished with the Mk2 in the first part of the war.

But the big factor is the type of construction. Spitfires are monocque which means they have far less parts and are far easier to put the in air.

Hurricanes are of a tubular construction are a far more complex aircraft to restore. Hence less of them flying.

The Hurri was probably something to do with a chap I know of who lives locally to that area. We used to have a private air display for a handfull of people with spits hurris mustangs flown properly to their limits out of one his fields. The money used to go the Kent airambulance if I remember rightly and it was by private invitation only I think as well. Have never been to another airdisplay since as they all seem a bit tame after that. This all stopped afew years back now.

Nothing like the sound of a Merlin though. The best sound ever in my book.

For any of you that watched the Bader programme - have spoken to the lads that did it -and they already have some new leads.

Wurzel - if you read this To answer your question. The Sti 8 on the programme was owned by a chap called Keith Arnold. Dont think he is on here though.

Alot of the parts we used to recover - used to form the paterns so new replica parts could be made.

Steve
Old 12 September 2006, 11:10 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good to hear there are a couple more Lancs flying.

Les
Old 12 September 2006, 11:31 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
My best friend is rebuilding a Hurri Mk1 at the moment.
There are two main reasons for there being more spits. One more were produced. Hurris finished with the Mk2 in the first part of the war.

But the big factor is the type of construction. Spitfires are monocque which means they have far less parts and are far easier to put the in air.

Hurricanes are of a tubular construction are a far more complex aircraft to restore. Hence less of them flying.

The Hurri was probably something to do with a chap I know of who lives locally to that area. We used to have a private air display for a handfull of people with spits hurris mustangs flown properly to their limits out of one his fields. The money used to go the Kent airambulance if I remember rightly and it was by private invitation only I think as well. Have never been to another airdisplay since as they all seem a bit tame after that. This all stopped afew years back now.

Nothing like the sound of a Merlin though. The best sound ever in my book.

For any of you that watched the Bader programme - have spoken to the lads that did it -and they already have some new leads.

Wurzel - if you read this To answer your question. The Sti 8 on the programme was owned by a chap called Keith Arnold. Dont think he is on here though.

Alot of the parts we used to recover - used to form the paterns so new replica parts could be made.

Steve
Interesting Steve, a couple of years ago I went over to Brooklands as I know the curator and they had shipped over a Hurricane from Russia and planned to restore it. I don't think to Airworthy Certifcate state though. I saw the remains in a shed and it looked as if 2 skips from a metal works had just been dumped there! The only recognisable thing, to me anyway, was the Merlin engine looking forlorn on a couple of saw benches. I expect your mate knows all about this but if not he might be interested? I can give you a contact if needed but this was a year or two back so I just don't know if the project went ahead. David