What a laugh i had today

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2006, 08:50 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking What a laugh i had today

At my fathers expense

My father has always been a fan of the Land Rover Discovery & up until last has been an owner of them for around 11 years, having had 5 of them.

So last week he had a brainstorm .............. he fancied a new jag ...so off we toddle to the local dealership with me thinking he's going to buy himself one of the diesel XJ's, as a daily driver & keep the disco for pulling the caravan.

How wrong was i ...... he traded in his 04 TD5 Disco for an X type diesel estate on an 06 pre registered .... after me trying to get him change his mind, he wouldnt listen.

Now his caravan is around 6 months old with all the bells & whistles, 24ft long twin axle thing, blah blah blah.

So we headed off today to go pick it up from storage & this is were the fun began ...................

Hitched up the caravan & the back end of the jag was sitting down just a little, not bad i thinks but ......................... on the way out there was a gradient & could the car pull it up, could it ****. We had to let the car roll down the hill & take a run at it with both me & the guy who owned the storage area helping by pushing the rig up the hill. After the jag skipping & bouncing around it eventually pulled it up

Drive home was like heading out to the North Sea on an extremely choppy night, by the time we got home i felt very sickly .

We had a discussion on the way home & he started to eat humble pie & realise that this pre reg cheaper than new X Type wasnt upto the job.

We dumped the caravan at the house for my mother to load as they are off to the Leuchars Air Show & we set off on the hunt for something more suitable to pull the caravan.

What a lesson he learned today .................. only car he could get that was ready to play ball was a fully spec'd up pre reg RR Sport 2.7D HSE

So with his pocket 20k + lighter & him with his tail between his legs, i think i & the local dealership havent stopped laughing at his stupidity

I can honestly say that i think he has learned from his experience & to cap it off he has just phoned & said " you cant even feel the caravan on the back of this" Duh ...............

Just thought i would share my great day with you all
Old 08 September 2006, 09:02 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

Great Tale. Lucky he has the means to make these errors.
Old 08 September 2006, 09:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caravans eh, why ?
Old 08 September 2006, 09:36 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Is he an experienced caravanner?

There isn't a twin axle on sale today which has a MPTLM under the kerbside weight of an X Type Estate. That leaves him open to prosecution if he hadn't killed himself or someone else first.

I can't believe he even thought he would be OK.

Cheers
Lee
Old 08 September 2006, 09:38 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by logiclee
Is he an experienced caravanner?

There isn't a twin axle on sale today which has a MPTLM under the kerbside weight of an X Type Estate. That leaves him open to prosecution if he hadn't killed himself or someone else first.

I can't believe he even thought he would be OK.

Cheers
Lee
Lee,

It was a moment of madness & he now realises his "major" mistake. It has cost him enough
Old 08 September 2006, 09:38 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Caravans eh, why ?
It's a life style choice, relaxing, the great outdoors, english heritige, many holidays etc. etc.

What it isn't anymore is a cheap alternative to hotels and guest houses.

Cheers
Lee
Old 08 September 2006, 09:52 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by logiclee
What it isn't anymore is a cheap alternative to hotels and guest houses.
Far from it, 46k for a vehicle & 21k for the van, basically to sleep in a good looking shed on wheels, personally its not for me but he enjoys the escape, though bearing in mind he also owns a villa nr marbella. Its his choice.

Old 08 September 2006, 10:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dear, you are nearly there calling it a van, I reckon (well hope for all concerned) that its a front for swinging, 21 grand buys a fair few decent hold for two people or one plywood and aluminium aboration.
Old 08 September 2006, 10:31 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Far from it, 46k for a vehicle & 21k for the van,
Then add on £750 a year for insurance, £250 a year for serviceing, all the other little bits for consumables, the cost of added fuel for towing and upto £35 a night to pitch (If you can find somewhere that isn't booked up).

Cheers
Lee
Old 08 September 2006, 10:39 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Plus £500 a year for the storage of said van. He used to be able to leave the van on his property but has since bought a new house that doesnt have the capibilty (sp?) of access to the rear of the property for another driveway.

Madness if you ask me
Old 08 September 2006, 10:41 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Oh dear, you are nearly there calling it a van, I reckon (well hope for all concerned) that its a front for swinging, 21 grand buys a fair few decent hold for two people or one plywood and aluminium aboration.
I dare say my father wouldnt say no to it but with a 14yr old son in tow i doubt my father wouldnt be into such debachuary (sp??)

Though give him half a chance
Old 09 September 2006, 09:26 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

bloody shed draggers
Old 09 September 2006, 09:31 AM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Great story all the same, was in Bosworth (near Leic) a little while a go a saw a brand new blue WRX with a huge great caravan on the back, made me laugh for no apparent reason, thought i'd share.

p.s.
Am on a weeks break next week, to the IOW in a CARAVAN