Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

velux windows

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2006, 06:49 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default velux windows

does anyone know what the regulations are on these now ??? i always assumed you could fit one without any regs etc as they dont alter the roof, but someone has told me they cant be fitted to the front of the house now !! is this true ??? and is some form of planning permission needed so that they can fitted fitted on the fron of the house ??
Old 08 September 2006, 07:11 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you changing an exisiting window or adding an extension to put these windows in?.

as far as i am aware and i am a site manager you do not need planning permission if you are replacing old with new.
Old 08 September 2006, 08:17 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve best bet would be to go down to your local council and have a quick crack with one of the planning officers.I fitted velux windows in the back of my bungalow a few years ago and as long as they didnt alter the roof line it was ok.
Old 08 September 2006, 08:28 PM
decepticon
Scooby Regular

would have thought you would need planning permission for roof velux as you should if you want to put a normal window in, as you are changing the appearance of your property. Also must be aware that if you are planning on having one over looking a neighbours house then it will have to be a permanently fixed and obscured one.
just what i have encountered with similar situation but all councils (and even officers) differ county to county so get it checked out.
should be able to find out on local council websites.
cheers
neil
Old 08 September 2006, 08:32 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

im just adding one to add more light into the loft space, i know that they dont require approval but too many people have told me that you cant fit them to the front of the house anymore ??? im adding an extension to the side at a future date so it cant go there and i have a conservatory at the back so i dont want anyone damaging that fitting a velux window
Old 08 September 2006, 08:36 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve just go ahead and do it the chances of someone reporting you is very slim. (I will be getting shot down in flames now by the planning officers on this board)
Old 08 September 2006, 09:30 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

as far as i am aware and i am a site manager you do not need planning permission if you are replacing old with new.
There are a number of reasons why that might not be the case.

Saxo Boy = planning officer

Whether you need planning permission for velux's or not depends on a number of factors that could not be readily discussed on this forum as I don't have the information I require available to me. The people that do are your local authority so pop in or phone in and ask to speak to their duty planning officer but have some idea of what it is you are doing (i.e. sizes of velux's and how many) before you see them. They will advise if you need permission. Do the same for Building Control as I'd imagine you'll require a building warrant for the velux's/loft conversion or both. Get written confirmation of your requirements from both departments and keep the letter(s).

You could do as gussy said but the problem is unlikely to be a planning officer driving past and taking exception but rather buying solicitors when you are trying to sell your property and they want to know that every t is crossed and i dotted
Old 08 September 2006, 09:51 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
There are a number of reasons why that might not be the case.

You could do as gussy said but the problem is unlikely to be a planning officer driving past and taking exception but rather buying solicitors when you are trying to sell your property and they want to know that every t is crossed and i dotted
i understand the solicitor part as i always try to inform people they cant pull the inside of there house apart without future problems so are you saying building regs has moved onto velux windows
Old 08 September 2006, 11:43 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

so are you saying building regs has moved onto velux windows
I'm saying I don't know but these things change from time to time so you should always check. Building Control issue building warrants and development control issue planning permssion. They are both completely seperate and you might need both, one or the other or neither.

It term of Section 26 of the Town & Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997 (sorry don't know english section) the installation of velux rooflights is development that requires planning permission. However, it is usually regarded as permitted development (by the General Permitted Development Order) and therefore does not require an application to be made to the planning authority. This can vary from area to area which is why with all 'do I need planning permission' questions the only person(s) that can give you the 100% correct answer is the planning authority for your area
Old 08 September 2006, 11:44 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, when I was googling 'Section 26 Town & Country...Act 1997' to check that Section 26 was the section I thought it was I started reading a report on the subject matter and halfway in realise it was familiar..........I wrote it Small world
Old 08 September 2006, 11:49 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Old 09 September 2006, 12:38 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!

hmmm not much planning dint even realise he had wrote 'Section 26 Town & Country...Act 1997'
Old 09 September 2006, 09:00 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, I agree Sti-04 but I have bigger and better plans and planning pays the bills right now Steve, I didn't write the act and if I did it would read.

Section 1. Build, knock down or do what you like.
Section 2. Just get on with it.
Section 3. Consequences equal zero.

The end.