Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Appealing against a parking ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2006, 09:21 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Appealing against a parking ticket!

Hiya guys,

We ran out of fuel last friday night... we shoved the car up on the curb on double yellows.. We were not causing an obstruction on the road...

This was about 1.00am...

We have walked home (about half a mile), driven to a garage that was open and got some diesel... gone back to the car and found a parking ticket courtesy of mr officer..... west mercia police..

where do we stand??? can we appeal on that grounds even though we havent got anything to prove this was the case??

cheers
Old 05 September 2006, 09:39 PM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Gutting as it is, I wouldn't have thought you would be able to appeal, as you say, you dont have proof - sorry
Old 05 September 2006, 10:02 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could you use the receipt from the purchase of the fuel as some evidence as it will have time and date of purchase Worth a try.
Old 05 September 2006, 10:14 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Just don't pay it. Apparently parking tickets don't get chased when people don't pay, it's too time consuming.

TX.
Old 05 September 2006, 10:27 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Just don't pay it. Apparently parking tickets don't get chased when people don't pay, it's too time consuming.

TX.

thats a great idea. A non payment of fine warrant for your arrest instead.

as already stated just use the petrol receipt as evidence and plead you case. YOu should have some mitigation with that.
Old 05 September 2006, 10:44 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

paid via cash unfortunately
Old 05 September 2006, 11:48 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by monkeyboy840
thats a great idea. A non payment of fine warrant for your arrest instead.

as already stated just use the petrol receipt as evidence and plead you case. YOu should have some mitigation with that.
You ever had a parking ticket, not paid it & been arrested? If not, how do you know ...

Arrested for a parking fine FFS!

TX.
Old 05 September 2006, 11:49 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Tasberley
paid via cash unfortunately
It's a done deal then ...

TX.
Old 06 September 2006, 01:42 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Why on EArth would you drive a diesel anyway! . . . . . . .

But if you run out of fuel in a Diesel car, is it not the case that you must first have a whole fuel system pumped manually in order to start it . . .

But on a serious note, you would have had a better chance of appeal if you left your hazard lights on. . . .If this was not the case, then I would imagine your chances are slim . . . .
Old 06 September 2006, 02:04 AM
scoobie_eccosse
Scooby Regular

Location: edinburgh scoobies-555 wagon squadron- s.w.a.t.s.a.r
Default ok

i used to work as a officer the best way of beatin this is
1/ get ur receipt to prove u bout fuel or a statement from a solo or visa card
2/ ask the garage for acopy off the cctv to prove u went there wi a jerry can 2 buy fuel there camera should see u walkin in and out wi a jerry can that should get u off
Old 06 September 2006, 05:46 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tasberley
Hiya guys,

We ran out of fuel last friday night... we shoved the car up on the curb on double yellows.. We were not causing an obstruction on the road...

This was about 1.00am...

We have walked home (about half a mile), driven to a garage that was open and got some diesel... gone back to the car and found a parking ticket courtesy of mr officer..... west mercia police..

where do we stand??? can we appeal on that grounds even though we havent got anything to prove this was the case??

cheers
Where the vehicle has broken down or run out of fuel; the driver has grounds to have the parking ticket cancelled.

Clicky

Simon
Old 06 September 2006, 07:31 AM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
But if you run out of fuel in a Diesel car, is it not the case that you must first have a whole fuel system pumped manually in order to start it . . .
Only with the new common rail jobs I think. My Vans that are pre-common rail can be run till dry, chuck in a few euros of diesel and after a few seconds pumping the throttle they fire no probs
Old 06 September 2006, 08:21 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Hate to be tough but you were responsible for running ot of fuel which in turn caused you to stop on the double yellows. Your fault, pay the fine.
Old 06 September 2006, 08:24 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

Tossers mate! My wife got a ticket last week for displaying her disabled badge upside down!!!!!!!!
dave
Old 06 September 2006, 08:34 AM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

You ever had a parking ticket, not paid it & been arrested? If not, how do you know ...

TX.

because i've arrested people for it thats how..............

so yes in the end you would end up being arrested
Old 06 September 2006, 08:35 AM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

but i think its a bit sad putting a ticket on the car i'm sure i could have found something more useful to do.

(Puts on flame proof overalls and underware)
Old 06 September 2006, 09:06 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your problem. I hate to say this however, I think most people on here are correct, they will have you.

It's things like this that make the public's & Police's relationship non existant.

As 1 of the Chief Constables said, we police by consent of the public and, if we're not careful we will lose that.

I think it's too late.

One bit of good news, if we are to beleive te Press, it looks like "Phoney Tony" is on the way out at last!!

Rant over, and sorry once again mate.

Alan Mac.
Old 06 September 2006, 09:36 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

TX.
Sounds about right. Pick on the normally Law abiding citizen who pays taxes, rather than cracking down on real crime ie, Murder, rapes, burglary, car crime, etc.

Police these days chase money, rather than spending it cracking crime
Old 06 September 2006, 09:47 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

but i think its a bit sad putting a ticket on the car i'm sure i could have found something more useful to do.

(Puts on flame proof overalls and underware)
What, like sat at the side of the road in a White van doing people for doing 33 in a 30 zone?? While some poor bugger is getting raped, Murdered, mugged, or burgled !!

Sorry to tar you all with the same brush, but watching programs on TV with some copper sat in the back of a van with a hard-on on, bragging how many "real Criminals" he can catch speeding in an hour just makes my blood boil.

There was a story in the paper a couple weeks ago about a school boy who had just seen his bicycle being stolen. Running up to a copper to point out the thief getting away with his bicycle, only to be told to go home, phone 999 and report it. Only then would he get involved.

People are lacking respect for the Police, and stories like these only compound peoples thoughts.
Old 06 September 2006, 09:54 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Maybe you had parked the car in exactly the place they were placing the camera van and got pee'd off so they needed to make some money at least

Simon
Old 06 September 2006, 09:58 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueSimon
Maybe you had parked the car in exactly the place they were placing the camera van and got pee'd off so they needed to make some money at least

Simon
Old 06 September 2006, 10:38 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN

Ran out of diesel in my old gt tdi golf (pd). No warning light, thought I could make it to a garage, alas no. Had to get the AA out, they just poured a gallon in and turned over the car a few times til it started.
Old 06 September 2006, 11:01 AM
Legal Eagle
Scooby Regular

...while some poor bugger is getting raped, Murdered, mugged, or burgled !!

It's not him again is it? Gosh, he is so unlucky.
Old 06 September 2006, 05:13 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
What, like sat at the side of the road in a White van doing people for doing 33 in a 30 zone?? While some poor bugger is getting raped, Murdered, mugged, or burgled !!

Sorry to tar you all with the same brush, but watching programs on TV with some copper sat in the back of a van with a hard-on on, bragging how many "real Criminals" he can catch speeding in an hour just makes my blood boil.

There was a story in the paper a couple weeks ago about a school boy who had just seen his bicycle being stolen. Running up to a copper to point out the thief getting away with his bicycle, only to be told to go home, phone 999 and report it. Only then would he get involved.

People are lacking respect for the Police, and stories like these only compound peoples thoughts.

No probs I can understand people being pissed off with the service the cops are giving them at the mo but it boils down to the fact there aren't enough on the street. And in the above case one thats deserves sacking and sending to a different job!!

I dont sit in vans, dish out tickets or any of that I just go to everything else like sorting out peoples lives cos there not grown up enough to do it. If poeple actually knew what we did most wouldnt want the job if it was offered on a plate with a gold pig (excuse the pun) sat on it

Like you say there are too many sat in vans doing speeders, sat in offices doing jobs a civilian could do etc. I could go on but I do understand peoples frutrations cos I'm probably as pissed off as anyone else. Two of my mates have just quit the Police because there that pissed of with the way it is at the minute.
If I could find another job that paid as well i'd probalby leave too.
Old 06 September 2006, 05:37 PM
marky1
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by scoobie_eccosse
i used to work as a officer the best way of beatin this is
1/ get ur receipt to prove u bout fuel or a statement from a solo or visa card
2/ ask the garage for acopy off the cctv to prove u went there wi a jerry can 2 buy fuel there camera should see u walkin in and out wi a jerry can that should get u off
What???
Old 06 September 2006, 06:59 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

I ran out of petrol not long after passing my test - it was actually my Dad's fault as he told me I'd have enough to get in to college . Anyway, I ran out near a busy junction but luckily I had a jerry can in the boot. The police saw me and stopped, as I was in the middle of putting some more fuel in. They could see what I was doing but still stopped to check. They told me it was bad forward planning , but I guess at the end of the day - they were right.

So I tend to agree with the person above, that it was your resposibility, so you should accept the fine.

But no harm in trying if you think you can get off paying
Old 06 September 2006, 07:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

'Accept the fine'? What a foolish sentiment. The law is plain and clear (although not clear enough for some obviously), if you have broken down; and running out of petrol counts as that, then you do not have to pay a parking fine. Further to that, had you left a note to that effect in the windscreen then you wouldnt have been ticketed in the first place.
Old 06 September 2006, 08:10 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Unhappy

Too much time on your hands then ...

TX.
Old 06 September 2006, 08:32 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
'Accept the fine'? What a foolish sentiment. The law is plain and clear (although not clear enough for some obviously), if you have broken down; and running out of petrol counts as that, then you do not have to pay a parking fine. Further to that, had you left a note to that effect in the windscreen then you wouldnt have been ticketed in the first place.

Chill Winston , I didn't bother reading your link above, and you are correct - I'm not a traffic law expert, I have better things to do with my time! Anyway, I have since looked (briefly) at your link, and looking in the exemptions section I can only see "A vehicle prevented from moving by circumstances beyond the driver's control.(e.g. broken down)", and "A vehicle taking in petrol, oil, water or air at the kerbside. e.g. a roadside garage." neither of which apply here IMO.

What am I missing oh expert of traffic law.
Old 06 September 2006, 10:41 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Too much time on your hands then ...

TX.

no just something you had to learn when I joined 12 years ago. I don't think they have 'time' to do it now.