Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dental bridgework, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2006, 08:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Dental bridgework, yes or no?

I've now lost two teeth, bottom premolars, one on each side, due to breakage.

My dentist has offered me bridgework at £800 for the two, but I'm unsure.

Does anyone know:

a) what it entails?
b) what are the drawbacks?

Thanks in advance,
Alcazar
Old 05 September 2006, 09:03 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than me waffle - have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_bridge
Old 05 September 2006, 12:06 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Woke up saturday morning with horrendous toothache. Had pain killers all weekend and queued up at the dentist for emergency treatment yesterday morning.

They told me I have nerve inflammation and given me a course of antibiotics and booked me in to see my usual dentist on thursday (earliest appointment). I'm a day into the antibiotics now and it still hurts like hell.

Haven't slept properly for days as it hurts so much. Was just beginning to forget about it when I read this thread and now it hurts again.

Thanks alcazar!!
Old 05 September 2006, 12:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I had a back Molar removed on the 26th July. Was in pain for weeks after, but was told as it was a tough extraction in would hurt for a while.

My breath stunk, and I was in agony, on pain killers every 4 hours for weeks, and the gum wasn't healing properly. I decided to take a close inspection on my own. Got a cocktail stick and stuck it in the extraction site. Ended up pulling a very long shard of tooth out of my gum (Dentist had to drill the tooth in half to get it out) that was in sideways on, thus stopping the gum from healing. It ******* stank when I got it out (nearly puked) but it started healing properly after that. Still not totally healed yet though.

Friday Night I noticed something White poking out of the side of my gum. Yes, another piece of tooth. Luckily only small, but still took about 20mins trying to get it out with my fingernail.

Don't even get me started on the day of the extraction. Ended up getting took home in the back of an Ambulance. Soo ******* embarrassing
Old 05 September 2006, 12:19 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

As Jim Davidson once said, for those of you who don't like dentist (I'm one of them!) when you get in the chair, grab them by the bollocks and say "now we're not going to hurt each other are we".
Old 05 September 2006, 02:02 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Woman at work has just paid out similar money

the misses needed some work done and was quoted £850 so seems about the going rate so she went on holliday to phillpines where her neice was a dentist and she did the whole lot for £75 !!!

i got a filling for £3 and scale polish for a quid

and we had a good holiday

similar prices in asia

Good be worth a trip to Prague /riga £50 return and you might pay top doller at £200 and lots of cheap boozeand fit birds to cheer you up

British dental services are a rip off now
Old 05 September 2006, 02:12 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
You never see a poor Dentist do you?
Old 05 September 2006, 02:23 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

some do poor work tho
Old 05 September 2006, 02:42 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

I have been having work done for the past 2 years and its coming to an end now, thank god. I've had to have dental implants and veneers as well as that I had to have a bone graft!! Had the bone taken out of my chin and screwed into my the top bit of my mouth at the front to make it strong for the implants. Never been in such pain!! Its all been worth it though because my teeth look amazing!!.. I bloody hate the dentist too!! I got a lollipop for being such a brave girl!!..
Old 05 September 2006, 06:29 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

no teeth

mart
Old 05 September 2006, 06:46 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Woman at work has just paid out similar money

the misses needed some work done and was quoted £850 so seems about the going rate so she went on holliday to phillpines where her neice was a dentist and she did the whole lot for £75 !!!

i got a filling for £3 and scale polish for a quid

and we had a good holiday

similar prices in asia

Good be worth a trip to Prague /riga £50 return and you might pay top doller at £200 and lots of cheap boozeand fit birds to cheer you up

Would totally agree, for that money you could have a two week holiday in Goa, have the work done there for a fraction of the cost, my Father did this a couple of years ago.

The beers really cheap there too
Old 05 September 2006, 08:59 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

had a molar out on sep 1st cost me £150!!! it's still painful and i get an odd taste every now and again, im hoping though that by using some mouth wash it will heal quicker. it looks ok quite clean and pink so with any luck it is just bruised as they are quite a big tooth to have pulled out.
Old 05 September 2006, 09:26 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

your best having it done abroad its cheaper and you get a better level of care than you do here im having all my dental work done while im in bulgaria

whoo my 600th post yay

Last edited by Stephb1986; 05 September 2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05 September 2006, 11:17 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alcazar

There are basically 2 types of bridgework...One that is simply glued to the next door teeth and the second that is retained by "caps" .

The first (glue) kind is often referred to as adhesive bridgework or Maryland Bridgework and is dead easy to do and relatively cheap as the bridge is simply glued to the teeth that you have.... no local, no real drilling just a couple of impressions (moulds). The downside is that they may become un-glued and fall out and they need pretty sound (strong) teeth to be attached to

The more complicated bridgework requires the teeth next to the gap to be shaped and "ground down" to accept caps / crowns which is much more involved and expensive.... a lot more work. The upside is that they don't fall out as much as the glued in bridges described above.

The other option is for implants but there is a nerve in the jaw in the premolar region which sometimes gets in the way so expert advice (and even bigger cost) involved !!

The final option is just to leave the gaps, if you have plenty of other teeth and cosmetics are not a problem this is often the best alternative

Hope this helps

Shaun

PS in my profession I see a shed load of very ****e overseas dentistry !!
Old 06 September 2006, 11:32 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Virtually made my mind up NOT to have it done, Shaun, after reading the Wikipedia article.

Thanks to all who responded.