Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Restricting Freedom of Movement Through Taxation?

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2006, 07:15 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Restricting Freedom of Movement Through Taxation?

With this governments love of all things Euro they brought us the Human Rights law which I think includes the right to freedom of movement, if this is the case is it then acceptable for this to be limited by taxation?

If you take transport back to basics e.g. remove all subsides and taxation and then put a cost on time maybe based on the average wage for an hourly rate which is then the most cost effective way to travel?

This then should be recognised and not taxed. If they want to offer subsidies to other forms of transport to make them more attractive that is ok but I don’t think they should be able to restrict movement by taxation.
Old 08 August 2006, 07:24 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I think they are also keen on "equal access to transport" and many of the far left and the various green nutter hand wringers have declared access to private transport socially divisive. So, you will be allowed freedom of movement but you will have to use public transport systems and this will bring everyone who wants to move down to the lowest common denominator.

Of course this raises the problem of those who live in rural areas but, as history has shown, the far left have never been very good at dealing with the peasants. Currently the British Government seem to deal with them by either ignoring them or walking all over them as if they don't exist.
Old 09 August 2006, 10:16 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Labour and the far left have always hated the freedom of movement we get from haveing a car. Initially it was because they thought for years that is was only available to the upper classes but now their control freakery is the major reason.

Les
Old 09 August 2006, 10:47 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

That is an interesting angle that I hadn't thought of Les. If they make motoring so expensive that most normal citizens can't afford it then they can turn the removal of access to private transport into a class struggle, something that sits nicely with all those greenie leftie senior civil servants and the like plus all the euro-crats. A similar tactic was used against fox hunting which was painted as a sport of "toffs," as part of the class war and, of course, the urban proletariat fell for it. The people on the front lines of the struggle to get private motoring banned are the same people as those fighting for animal rights and against fox hunting and their aim appears, to me, to be to return the UK to the stone age when medical science consists of waiting for you to die, the average life span was 40 years and most people rarely went more than 10 miles from home in their lifetime.
Old 10 August 2006, 11:30 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Quite right Hedgehog, exactly what I was thinking.

Les
Old 12 August 2006, 07:52 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

But couldnt a few people out in the scotish highlands etc take the government to court as having their human rights for freedom of movement restricted a there is no public transport and the only option is the car which is taxed therefore restricted by taxation!

If prisoners can get legal aid to fight for the right to access to **** in their cells surely there is enough money in the system for some body to try this out?
Old 12 August 2006, 08:57 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

But what exactly do they get out of it? Stopping us getting around I mean. Not being stupid I hope! I know it's wrong what they are doing, but why are they doing it???