Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who knows anything about stairs?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2006, 09:36 PM
406dude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who knows anything about stairs?

I need some advice.....

our stairs appear to be collapsing - well sagging really - they creak a lot and appear to be coming away from the wall. Before we bought the house it had no CH so was very damp and so we believe it may be related to that.

Called a stair manufacturer who claimed that he had never seen the need to replace a set of stairs - he came round and suggested that we need a whole new staircase. Quote today for pretty much £6k!

We are talking about a 2 bed semi here - 8 steps with 3 kites winding around at the bottom - is this quote taking the mickey a little or is it what I should expect? Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tim
Old 20 July 2006, 09:53 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I know someone who bought an entire staircase on ebay for about £800.
Old 20 July 2006, 09:56 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
For a bit of wood?
Old 20 July 2006, 09:59 PM
406dude
Scooby Regular

6k sounds a tad ambitious then!
Old 20 July 2006, 10:02 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

build them yourself. Cant be too hard, can it?
Old 20 July 2006, 10:06 PM
madgixer
Scooby Newbie

All I can say is that he is trying to rip you off. The stair case's I put in my refurbed houses cost me about £180 - £250 Depends on wether they are straight forward or not. Where abouts are you based as my mates company supply the building industry country wide?

Nigel
Old 20 July 2006, 10:08 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

£6000 to £180 in 6 posts... the power of Scoobynet
Old 20 July 2006, 10:08 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

now, those are the sort of prices that makes me
Old 20 July 2006, 10:09 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana

You can fashion a new staircase its not too hard!

Im sure you will know builders or someone who is a carpenter, try googling it
Old 20 July 2006, 10:13 PM
406dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madgixer
All I can say is that he is trying to rip you off. The stair case's I put in my refurbed houses cost me about £180 - £250 Depends on wether they are straight forward or not. Where abouts are you based as my mates company supply the building industry country wide?

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I'm based in Cheshire.

Thanks for that,

Tim
Old 21 July 2006, 12:18 AM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Some comedy suggestions here.

Any proper winder stair flight is gonna have to be bespoke. Well you CAN cobble one in off Ebay, but it depends if saving money means more to you than the safety of your family. Ill fitting stairs are dangerous, full stop.

And sure, go make one. Can't be hard can it?? I defy any DIY'er to even get past even marking a winder flight out. Don't forget your pitch requirements, rise and going calculations, newel requirements, quarter turn regulations etc etc. Plus the tools for the job (router, morticer, pitch board, trenching jigs etc).
Old 21 July 2006, 12:26 AM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Olly

Any proper winder stair flight is gonna have to be bespoke. Well you CAN cobble one in off Ebay, but it depends if saving money means more to you than the safety of your family. Ill fitting stairs are dangerous, full stop.

And sure, go make one. Can't be hard can it?? I defy any DIY'er to even get past even marking a winder flight out. Don't forget your pitch requirements, rise and going calculations, newel requirements, quarter turn regulations etc etc. Plus the tools for the job (router, morticer, pitch board, trenching jigs etc).
Were you the guy that gave 406 that quote?
Old 21 July 2006, 12:56 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Yes, any DIYer can mark out and build a staircase, whether to building regs or not. <chortle>
Old 21 July 2006, 08:55 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

all you need is mdf, just make sure you cover it with carpet when done though to hide any imperfections
Old 21 July 2006, 09:36 AM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
all you need is mdf, just make sure you cover it with carpet when done though to hide any imperfections
Even simpler, a ladder. Fraction of the price
Old 21 July 2006, 10:55 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Surely its relatively easy to mark out the new staircase, just copy the existing one! Only problem being the need to take the existing one apart, then make the new one and put it back in!

So if you can do without your stairs for about 6 months you could do it yourself!

Having said that £6,000 sounds like a lot of money, but it will depend on materials etc
Old 21 July 2006, 12:02 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Spot on Olly
Last year i had a "proffesional" joiner build and install and he got the goings completley wrong cost him a fortune and a whole sleeplees night (literally as he had to reinstall by the next day).

This is NOT an average Diyers job infact it is probably the best "litmus" test for a joiner if he can manufacture a decent set of stairs from scratch with a few winders included.
Old 22 July 2006, 11:14 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BexTait
I'm sure I read somewhere that without a staircase, a house is considered uninhabitable, so you might save more as you might not have to pay council tax.

John.
Old 22 July 2006, 02:13 PM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BexTait
piece of rope no probs
Old 22 July 2006, 05:47 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Originally Posted by john_s
I'm sure I read somewhere that without a staircase, a house is considered uninhabitable, so you might save more as you might not have to pay council tax.

John.
That is really not something you should have suggested to somebody that has just finished uni and is no longer a student so has to pay council tax. Doubt the landlord would like it tho...
Old 22 July 2006, 07:22 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Hello mate

I'm a carpenter & joiner (with Adv Craft C&G) and i would say £6k is a bit excessive.

However, please do not do DIY. Get a decent chippy in. There are a lot of regulations to do with stairs, they have their own section in building regulations.

I've personnally built a staircase from scratch and IIRC only cost around 200 quid for materials (without winders admittedly). Not sure what the labour would be as it was part of a bulk job.

Winders aren't too difficult if you know how to make them (i have once), I'm sure a good reputable chippy should be able to give you a better quote. Unfortunately, i'm 3000 miles away at the moment.

HTH
Chris

Last edited by CHRIS_D; 22 July 2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 23 July 2006, 10:00 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I recall watching a bloke on Grand Designs who without any experience built not one but three flights of stairs. All he armed himself with was a lot of enthusiasm and a DIY book on building staircases.
Old 23 July 2006, 10:12 AM
3times
Scooby Regular

try claiming off your buildings ins. friend of mine did when his staircase started to sag and got the whole lot paid for (minus xs of course)
Old 23 July 2006, 10:21 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
I recall watching a bloke on Grand Designs who without any experience built not one but three flights of stairs. All he armed himself with was a lot of enthusiasm and a DIY book on building staircases.
It was in France so UK building regulations don't apply!
Old 23 July 2006, 02:52 PM
406dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 3times
try claiming off your buildings ins. friend of mine did when his staircase started to sag and got the whole lot paid for (minus xs of course)
Tried that, but they reckon it must be long term damage and thus isn't covered. Of course I could just say the pet elephant has cracked them!
Old 23 July 2006, 02:53 PM
406dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CHRIS_D
Hello mate

I'm a carpenter & joiner (with Adv Craft C&G) and i would say £6k is a bit excessive.

However, please do not do DIY. Get a decent chippy in. There are a lot of regulations to do with stairs, they have their own section in building regulations.

I've personnally built a staircase from scratch and IIRC only cost around 200 quid for materials (without winders admittedly). Not sure what the labour would be as it was part of a bulk job.

Winders aren't too difficult if you know how to make them (i have once), I'm sure a good reputable chippy should be able to give you a better quote. Unfortunately, i'm 3000 miles away at the moment.

HTH
Chris

Hi Chris,

many thanks for that, sounds like I would have been ripped off!