Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Notice Period

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2006, 12:41 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notice Period

Is it a Gentlemans agreement as such or can you be took to court for not upholding it ?
Could i say hand my notice in this afternoon & finish tonight without any implications. I dont think it would be that simple as i am on 3 months notice.

Thanks
Old 12 July 2006, 12:47 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Is it a Gentlemans agreement as such or can you be took to court for not upholding it ?
Could i say hand my notice in this afternoon & finish tonight without any implications. I dont think it would be that simple as i am on 3 months notice.

Thanks
It's a contract between you and your employer.... so in short you can 'break' said contract... and your employer can withhold wages etc. to make up for the 3 months or if they were an **** they could take you to court... but they never do.........

Whats the story?
Old 12 July 2006, 12:49 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

So if i left tonight could i start with new employer tomorrow ??
Not bothered about the wages.
Old 12 July 2006, 12:53 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

So if i left tonight could i start with new employer tomorrow ??
Not bothered about the wages.
Yep, you can still 'Quit'.... just tell your boss that you are unhappy with the working environment and the stress associated with your job and you 'quit'....

Those couple of pearls should make sure they don't pester you, as they'll be afraid that you may sue them in return and go forth and enjoy your new job........
Old 12 July 2006, 12:54 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Have a word with the boss and be reasonable. He will probably let you go early as long as you are decent about it. He is going to know that for the next three months you will be bumming around on the internet and reading the newspapers just waiting to go whilst he is paying you for your time. So he might just want to cut his losses and crack on with finding a replacement.
Old 12 July 2006, 12:58 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Excellent.

Thanks
Old 12 July 2006, 01:12 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Just don't tell him that for the last three months you have been bumming around on the internet and reading the newspapers
Old 12 July 2006, 01:19 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

if its a simialr job, they may worry you are taking important info with you and put you on paid leave, then you get 3 months cash and can not return, aim for this my friend!
Old 12 July 2006, 02:09 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Thanks
They could sue your **** for breach of contract if they wanted to, but its unlikely.

Depends on how well you get on with them.
Old 12 July 2006, 03:20 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

there are plenty of doctors about who will give you a sick note for stress these days. Just get them to sign you off for a few weeks and start with your new employer. May mean paying extra tax for a few weeks, however this will be offset by the sickpay from your current company, and if this is only statuory then that means we are paying for you so dont do this. Infact forget this post.
Old 12 July 2006, 03:35 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Diablo
They could sue your **** for breach of contract if they wanted to, but its unlikely.

Depends on how well you get on with them.
Very well to be honest Though that will probably all change. Got a meeting next week & my boss (MD) will be there so i am going to hold off & sort it out there.

Respect the company too much to go off with stress. The new job is with a competitor but will be Europe wide instead of UK
Old 12 July 2006, 03:41 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Very well to be honest Though that will probably all change. Got a meeting next week & my boss (MD) will be there so i am going to hold off & sort it out there.

Respect the company too much to go off with stress. The new job is with a competitor but will be Europe wide instead of UK
Hope it all goes well................
Old 12 July 2006, 03:46 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Hope it all goes well................
Might try for "gardening leave" thus giving me 3 months of doing **** all My new company dont really care when i start just as long as i start.

Thanks ...
Old 12 July 2006, 05:16 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

when i was head-hunted by my previous employers, i gave a months notice to the firm i was working for... as both companies were competitors i was given a months gardening leave...
Old 12 July 2006, 07:06 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

All the best with it.
Are you due any holidays? If so you could give them as your notice.
Old 12 July 2006, 07:14 PM
bexxx
Scooby Regular

I worked my notice period. Best feeling ever though... handing your notice in!
Old 12 July 2006, 07:37 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Best seeing what's in your contract, hen. It looks better for future emplyers if you work some kind of notice I would suspect (after moving to the competitor it may not work out) Can you not take a career break to give the new guys a bash?
Old 12 July 2006, 07:50 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
there are plenty of doctors about who will give you a sick note for stress these days. Just get them to sign you off for a few weeks and start with your new employer. May mean paying extra tax for a few weeks, however this will be offset by the sickpay from your current company, and if this is only statuory then that means we are paying for you so dont do this. Infact forget this post.
Thats highly reccomended when you are going for a new job!!!

" oh i see youve had three weeks off for stress" "how do you handle stress btw"

not a wise option

Mart
Old 12 July 2006, 08:06 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

If it's a competitor, you'll get gardening leave guaranteed Saying that, they'll not want to pay you 3 months gardening leave in reality, so they'd prob agree to you going ASAP.

Don't worry about not working notice on CV's. Everyone knows the score when it comes to moving companies. Look after No.1.
Old 12 July 2006, 08:33 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Best seeing what's in your contract, hen.
I cant find my contract due to moving & i dont want to cause suspicion by asking HR for a copy.

It looks better for future employers if you work some kind of notice I would suspect (after moving to the competitor it may not work out)
New employee knows me, so there isnt a problem with the notice, they just want me to come work for them

Can you not take a career break to give the new guys a bash?
My job wouldnt allow me to take a career break, its all or nothing
Old 12 July 2006, 08:35 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by imlach
If it's a competitor, you'll get gardening leave guaranteed Saying that, they'll not want to pay you 3 months gardening leave in reality, so they'd prob agree to you going ASAP.

Don't worry about not working notice on CV's. Everyone knows the score when it comes to moving companies. Look after No.1.
I know that there has been people left before that were based down south have went to competitors & have been given gardening leave ........ so i will see what happens

Thanks
Old 12 July 2006, 08:42 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Technically it's a legal obligation and they could hold you to it. The chances of them sueing you for not working out your notice do seem pretty remote. It's also likely to be counter-productive to force someone who doesn't want to be there and is leaving shortly anyway to turn up for work as they are more likely to be disruptive than productive. Therefore, you may well be in with a decent chance of agreeing something suitable with them. My first ploy would always be to try and agree something if you get on with them well at the moment. Also pays by not burning bridges should you ever encounter the old boss in the future, for example.

Whilst I'm sure several people will phone in sick or similar for their notice period, if you're phoning in sick whilst working somewhere else in order to draw 2 salary's and they find out, that is technically fraud and IMHO they are a lot more likely to use legal procedings in that instance to recover the money they paid you. Personally, having worked 12 years now without having ever had a day off sick, I didn't want to spoil that record anyway!

Never forget your leave entitlement, and any Time Off In Lieue or similar if you have it. When I resigned from my previous job (1 month notice), my leave/TOIL etc owing was about the same as my notice period. The company insisted they didn't want me to leave within 10 working hours, I wasn't bothered as long as they paid for it, so they agreed to buy back my leave at full pay rate - I got the last week off and they paid me double for my last month, which was nice.

Got to admit I didn't particularly enjoy the feeling of resigning, and did feel a bit bad about leaving the good people at my old employer to handle things after I'd gone (I include my direct boss in that, but not his boss!). The great feeling for me was knowing I'd got the other job and was gonig to leave, and 8 months on I'm still completely convinced that changing jobs was absolutely the right thing to do.
Old 12 July 2006, 08:43 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

I just had to google *gardening leave*

Good luck to you sti
Old 12 July 2006, 08:44 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

What's the big deal, Can you not get a job selling timeshare anywhere?
Old 20 July 2006, 02:11 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Update.

I have been told to work till the 28th of this month & then to take the rest as time off. Start my new job on the 2nd of october.
Time to go book meself another holiday somewhere hot
Old 20 July 2006, 02:19 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Jammy git