Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should judges be accountable to the public?

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2006, 10:18 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Should judges be accountable to the public?

With the amount of **** taking jail terms being dished out to the scum of the country would it not be common sense to make these judges accountable to the derogatory terms churned out?
These so called "public services" are here to serve the public,not dictate to us
Old 10 July 2006, 10:26 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The judges hand out the sentences the government tell them to - they actually have little leeway. See - now you can blame it on New Labour.

M
Old 10 July 2006, 10:32 PM
Slyme
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did law for 3 years, what i learnt there is that the majority of judges are well past their sell by date and have no idea of modern society!!

A lot are stuck in the past, with no grasp of reality or the 'real' world!!

personally I think we need yoonger judges who would represent the majority. just my opinion you understand. ;-)
Old 10 July 2006, 11:02 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

IMHO the law courts and politics need greater separation, and yes we should vote for the judges and they should have far greater leway of sentencing. It shouldn't be 1/3 off if you plead guilty, it should be 1/3 extra if you don't.
Old 10 July 2006, 11:04 PM
nufc1892
Scooby Regular

Young Judges ,instead of wearing them foofing stupid wigs, they can just wear a burberry cap. Like the rest of the hoodlums that stand infront of them.
Old 10 July 2006, 11:05 PM
Slyme
Scooby Regular

agreed!!

it should also be the case that everyone is treated the same, and not some of the unfortunate people who do something silly once getting caned for it and other really nasty people just getting a slapped wrist. This is my main beef!
Old 10 July 2006, 11:15 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Slyme
Did law for 3 years, what i learnt there is that the majority of judges are well past their sell by date and have no idea of modern society!!

A lot are stuck in the past, with no grasp of reality or the 'real' world!!

personally I think we need yoonger judges who would represent the majority. just my opinion you understand. ;-)
Didn't learn a lot did you.

It is not a judges job to be in touch with the "real" world or with popular opinion, it is a judges job to interpret the law.

Neither are they well past their sell by date, they are usually very experienced and well respected within their industry and are subject to considerable constraints when it comes to sentencing. There are also a lot more things that they see that the public don't see when it comes to sentencing too.
Old 10 July 2006, 11:29 PM
Slyme
Scooby Regular

Did learn a lot, yes.

Agreed they have earned the respect of their peers and have a vast degree of knowledge I could only dream of, but........
Judges (in general) are well above middle age some being well past retirement age, views and morals have changed in society as a whole. They do intepret law diferently between judges as interpretations are 'intepretations', not everyone see's things the same. I could read an article and have an opinion and someone else have a completely different perspective. Ergo we have precedent, unfortunately precedents are not always adhered to or appropriate in todays society. A precedent set 50 yrs ago will not necessarily be appropriate today.

But as I said before this is only my opinion, its good that everyone thinks differently. If we all thought the same, what a boring world it would be.

By the way what is a law to you? Just interested.
Old 10 July 2006, 11:36 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

This Countries law is an ***
How can they give a bloke who is drunk/driving and killls a person, 100 hours community service, yet, another judge puts a pensioner in prison for 3 months for not paying her council tax because of druggies in her street
Yes, they should be accountable to the public
Old 10 July 2006, 11:43 PM
Slyme
Scooby Regular

Yep!!

I knew of a guy who had an accident in his car, he wasn't being stupid or reckless but had misfortune, and got 6 mths, whereas a 18 yr old stole a car, and killed someone got community!! Its just wrong like I said before one rule for one and one for another is not right.
Old 10 July 2006, 11:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nufc1892
Young Judges ,instead of wearing them foofing stupid wigs, they can just wear a burberry cap. Like the rest of the hoodlums that stand infront of them.
Old 11 July 2006, 12:20 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

1/3 discount is a Government thing. Out on parole after 50% term served is a Government thing. Not building any more prisons is a Government thing. Deciding to release criminals into the community with a tag is a Government thing. What was your question again?
Old 11 July 2006, 12:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

A judge should at least have a significant amount of experience of life to be fit for the job. Young people are more likely to rush in and miss out on some of the important facets of a case.

That being said, I think that the sentencing guidlines which they have to follow are in drastic need of reform and also the judges should not be allowed to be affected by the Government's wish to avoid prison sentences since they are not prepared to increase prison capacity.

Les
Old 11 July 2006, 12:26 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by warrenm2
1/3 discount is a Government thing. Out on parole after 50% term served is a Government thing. Not building any more prisons is a Government thing. Deciding to release criminals into the community with a tag is a Government thing. What was your question again?
Judges blame government for tying their hands and government blames judges for lax sentencing who do we believe?
Old 11 July 2006, 12:38 PM
Rage!
BANNED

Get Judge John Deed on the case!

Old 11 July 2006, 12:45 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

after this latest case, I have to IMO, think that a certain minister is right to question the leniency - as some judges are old duffers who perhaps aren't quite as able as they were perhaps need some checking up on
Old 11 July 2006, 12:46 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

He would be more suited me thinks
Old 11 July 2006, 12:51 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

no,a judges job is do interpret the law and hand out the what he/she thinks is the correct sentence ones a judge becomes accountable to the public he/she starts to worry about public opinion and not impartial and the law then falls apart.
Old 11 July 2006, 01:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
and the law then falls apart.
Kind of like it is at the moment?
Old 11 July 2006, 01:33 PM
New_scooby_04

The courts are an instrument of society- it is perfectly legitimate for a judge to consider the impact of a crime on a community when imposing a punishment. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but IIRC Judges are not accountable to politicians directly. I believe there is a separation of powers act that governs this issue, but as politicians are also agents of society and the Home office plays a central role in the criminal justice system, it is inevitable that their views will come into conflict occassionally. Once appointed, it is very hard to remove a judge unless their conduct is called into serious question. You're certainly not going to get them removed for one sentence, particularly when the they acted in accordance with existing guidelines. It is the guidelines that are at fault in the case being cited at the moment, not the judge, if I understand it correctly.

Ns04
Old 12 July 2006, 11:07 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Judges have to follow sentencing guidlines which are laid down by the Government for their own purposes, certainly not for the sake of the electorate anyway.

Les
Old 13 July 2006, 01:07 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

The guidelines are just that - guidelines. Each offence will carry its own maximum sentence.

It’s these maximum sentences which are hardly used which cause the most issues. Then there are a whole host of bizarre sentences dished out by magistrates and judges which beggars’ belief as to what they were thinking of.

I know of one punishment which was the offender to sit at the back of the court in silence until lunch time. And another person who couldn't stick to his bail conditions - so had them removed as a punishment...!!!!
Old 14 July 2006, 03:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

With the loonies we have in power at the moment and their intense dislike of being disobeyed, and what they are likely to do to get their own back, it is not surprising that the judges follow the guidlines Felix.

Les
Old 14 July 2006, 03:35 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I would agree but then think that the Sun, The Mirror and The Mail might be the voice of the public so I start to wonder...

Steve