Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

pooch probs

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2006, 06:18 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pooch probs

this is my stffordshire bull terrier zac and i love him to bits. he has always had a couple of small areas on the front of his legs where he licks, taking away the hair and creating a sore. they are refferred to as lick spots i think and can be quite common in dogs. with the recent hot weather he has been licking even more and now developed some on his back legs and he seems to get quite irritated by them. it would appear that he must have some form of skin complaint and i am wondering how to treat them.
has anyone else(dog) had similar problems and how can i remedy the problem.
in the past he has developed wet eczma under his chin in the summer which was a bit nasty but he has not had it the past 2 years.
thanks in advance.
i thought i would ask on hear before being ripped off by the vet
Old 03 July 2006, 06:26 PM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
this is my stffordshire bull terrier zac and i love him to bits. he has always had a couple of small areas on the front of his legs where he licks, taking away the hair and creating a sore. they are refferred to as lick spots i think and can be quite common in dogs. with the recent hot weather he has been licking even more and now developed some on his back legs and he seems to get quite irritated by them. it would appear that he must have some form of skin complaint and i am wondering how to treat them.
has anyone else(dog) had similar problems and how can i remedy the problem.
in the past he has developed wet eczma under his chin in the summer which was a bit nasty but he has not had it the past 2 years.
thanks in advance.
i thought i would ask on hear before being ripped off by the vet
I sometimes get sore spots, can be due to stress/heat etc.I use a mild steroid liquid whish is obviously used sparingly(not daily).It literally works overnight.If you are interested i'll dig deeper and find the correct name.
Please i stress, i'm not a doctor!
Old 03 July 2006, 06:41 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

re above
he has been given something steroid based in the past but as i said the vets can be a little pricey. let me know the name of it and see if i can get it from the chemist. thanks dr al.
Old 03 July 2006, 07:07 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

my EBT has this, steroid cream from the vets is the only thing that helps (slat baths are ok)...if it gets to bad i duck tape socks on his legs which stops him for a day or so.
Old 03 July 2006, 07:47 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Our bloody weim is doing this, a very unsightly thing as previous products have apparently been very tasty and get licked off before they get a chance to act.

I could try the duct tape and socks, but I know he adores chewing both anyway, I think he'd just regard it as another 2-minute treat
Old 03 July 2006, 07:48 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Be careful - human drugs are not necessarily suitable for dogs and indeed can be fatal!
Old 03 July 2006, 08:24 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

not much help i know, but Zac is very cute
Old 03 July 2006, 08:57 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

my first dog,spike the fox terrier had the same kind of thing....took him too the same vet for years and after cream,injection,shampoo plus a big bill he was allright for a while"Few months".then it would come back,vet put it down to blood and told us to feed him lamb's necks!along with the regular big bills he'd be fine.
anyway,we got a bit fed up with all the food,creams etc etc.so we took spike for a second opinion,the new vet took skin and blood samples from the dog and a week or so later we got a call saying spike was hyper sensitive to any kind of insect...dont get me wrong he was kept perfectly clean but it would only take one bug to set the whole thing off!
anyway moral of the story is after years of spike costing us a fortune turned out all he needed to keep him right was the odd spray of FRONT-LINE........he did miss the lamb's necks though!
Old 03 July 2006, 10:55 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies.
Old 03 July 2006, 11:18 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

My old Dobermann used to get these a lot on his back legs, I had an innertube out of a bike tyre that i taped round his leg in the end to stop him licking and chewing.
Turned out he had stomach cancer in the end and was probably chewing it because of the pain, don't mean to get you worried but it could be something else causing it.

The innertube stopped him chewing it tho!!!!!!!!!!
Looked a bit daft when i took him for a walk tho!

HTH, Dan.
Old 04 July 2006, 09:22 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

My Bulldog has been doing this, the hairs in his throat are making him sick aswell. If I catch him doing it I just kick him up the bum and he stops but obviously Im not always there to watch him.
Old 04 July 2006, 12:26 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

For mine it was caused by diet - moving him to rice based dry food fixed it (after lots of vets bills I started trying stuff on US based pet forums.....one of them worked....lots didn't!). I'd also caution against using human drugs on animals unless you confirm contents and correct dosage prior to treatment.
Old 04 July 2006, 12:40 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In line with above, my dog had a bit dodgy skin around his paws, and the vet advised a lamb-based dog food rather than a chicken one. It vaguely cleared it up, but I think no longer walking him on the beach helped
Old 04 July 2006, 01:12 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

My staffie gets sore spots between his paws. Vet has diagnosed that he's alergic to pollen. Suggest this to your vet, and see what they say.

Mine needs to take tablets, and can't walk on freshly cut grass.
Old 04 July 2006, 02:42 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
I could try the duct tape and socks, but I know he adores chewing both anyway, I think he'd just regard it as another 2-minute treat
coat it in something nasty (kids shampoo is good as they put stuff in it to stop kids drinking it!)

EBT is like a shark when it comes to things to eat....but he didnt eat that!
Old 04 July 2006, 03:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

As a temporary measure - say while a sore heals - you could put one of those lampshade things around its head to stop him licking. They look worse than they are and my old Golden used to put up with one after an op or two. dl
Old 05 July 2006, 07:03 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

skin complaints are really common in bull terriers, my ebt gets them from grass in the summer when he lays in the garden from 6 in the morning til 9 at night.

the only thing that has really helped was a steroid injection from the vets, steroid cream did nothing, special shampoo that we paid a fortune for from the vets did nothing either, the injection lasted about 3 months to see him through the summer though. no scratching or anything.