Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Win 2k Server - Apllication Deployment Not Working....

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2001, 09:44 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey folks,

I have a wee problem with the above and it is starting to bug me....

I have not yet come across a client who has requested application deployment, so I got bored of waiting and configured it at home.

2K Server (sp2)
XP Workstation
2k Pro Workstation
2K Pro Workstation

The first app to install is Office 2K. The contents of the CD are available on a share for the workstations. I have created a tranform file for it as well, in the same folder as the MSI file that I want to call.
In the Group Policy Object for the domain, I have the application configured for rollout(have tried both at the computer level and user level), with transform file specified. No matter what I set it to, publish, assign, advanced assign, nothing happens. Auto install is set as well, but nothing. The file associations part where the install should be triggered by running an associated file does nothing either.
All domain users are full Administrators of their own PC's and logon to the domain as their assigned users.
What have I missed?
Any help gratefully recieved

Cheers,

Nick.

(Edited because my typing sucks!)

[Edited by Mr Footlong - 10/30/2001 10:00:10 AM]
Old 30 October 2001, 10:08 AM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Are there any error messages in the App Event log when the user logs onto to one of the workstations ??

Can you run the msi via the share from one of the workstations ?

Have you run gpresult from one of the workstations to see what policies are being applied..

Have you checked the GP sections of the registry to check for any errors ??

secedit /refresh wont work as it doesn't apply to app installs, you'll need to log out/in to fire or the app inst policy each time..

These are the normal troubleshooting steps to look at..
Old 30 October 2001, 10:41 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

DOH. Was working remotely on the server this morning fixing something else and cleared out the logs before reboot! Didn't see anything out of the ordinary though.....

The MSI runs fine via the share, havent tried it with the tranform parameter though.

Haven't tried the other steps yet, as I have been running around like a blue-@rse fly recently!

Thanks a lot for the info mate!

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 30 October 2001, 11:01 AM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

You'll need to check the app event logs on the workstations as this is where the info will be if there was a failure during the application of the policy... No error msgs would seem to suggest that the policy is not being applied somehow..

Have you tested the GPO that the apps are in to ensure their being being applied, removing Run of the Start menu for example ?

Cheerio
Old 30 October 2001, 08:26 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Gary,

ARGH! This is doing my head in....

I think tht it has something to do with the active directory.....

The active directory to my knowledge shows as installed and functional, but I have always had problems when I build them with connecting users to them.
For instance:

I can join 2k/xp machines to the network using the domain name as ENTERPRISE, but not enterprise.domain, as is the Active Directory naming.

The computer name lists correctly, ex. picardxp.enterprise.domain on enterprise.domain.
On 2k, once logged in as the domain account assigned to admin that pc, I can see the enterprise.domain in say adding users to groups on the machine. It lists the active directory domain and the user/group contents, but on assigning a user it produces the following" Processing of object Jamie failed with the following error: the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted".
On XP, I cannot see the domain at all when trying to assign users to groups. I have to 'bodge' it by user settings and entering \\ENTERPRISE\User and assigning them there to the correct group.

I have suspected for some time that I have not got something set correctly on the server installs, but as said above, I have not had an installation requiring advanced setup of the systems.

The main networking, such as browsing the network, name resolution etc work perfectly.

The error that gets thrown up in the app event log on the 2k workstations as you questioned above is as follows:
Source Userenv
"windows cannot determine the user or domain name. Return value (1722)" Event ID 1000

The errors that the XP machines display are as follows:
Source Userenv
"Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted." event ID 1053

Source Autoenrollment
Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Enrollment will not be performed." event ID 15

When running gpresult it comes up with the following"

C:\Documents and Settings\Mr Footlong>gpresult
INFO: The user "ENTERPRISE\Mr Footlong" does not have RSOP data.

This looks like pants to me .....

Could be long winded, so I might ship this off to the newsgroups, or heaven forbid, Read anothr Microsoft book!

Boo, I must suck.......

Cheers,

Nick

P.S there are probably many typos, but I am too tired to correct them

Old 31 October 2001, 06:26 AM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

1. Does the server have DNS installed, and does DNS have the namespace zone in it for your domain.

2. If so does is have the _msdcs, _sites, _tcp, _udp entries within the zone ??

3. Does the server point to itself as the primary DNS server in the network configurations

4. Do the clients point to the server for primary DNS server ?

Cheers
Old 31 October 2001, 07:54 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

DNS is installed, but left 'unfettled' In the same configuration as it is made during the Active Directory creation.
I will look at the rest of it during the day from the office, but I am using ICS at home from the server, so I do not have the local DNS server address in the client's config, just the primary and secondary dns servr addresses of the ISP. Could also add in the dns of my server as a tertiary address, but I never did, due to speed of name resolution being important to me.

Schtar!
Thanks a lot for the info. Really appreciated.
I should know this by now, But am still upto me eyeballs in NT4 systems. Now that's easy........

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 31 October 2001, 11:05 AM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

OK, so theres you client problem sussed... They need to point to your DNS server in order to do domain DNS things - link join the domain via the DNS namespace and general GPO stuff..

What you should do is point your clients to your DC/DNS server, and set the DNS up on your DC to forward unresolved requests to your ISP..

Is ICS on the domain controller ?? or one of the clients ??

Cheerio
Old 31 October 2001, 01:52 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I was going to put in the forwarders, but hadn't got around to it on this install. That should do the trick, as you said. ICS is running from the server, as unfortunatly it has a USB ADSL modem and works as a web games server as well. The dns errors have completely disappeared from the server's logs. All of the keys were in but the were 2 variables within there that needed altering. 1 variable had DNS server running on both network connections, the LAN and Fixed IP ADSL. Forced local only. The name server had no IP assigned. I think that it may have lost the IP value when ICS was kicked in......

Some other bits of info to discuss, but I need to be at home to get them.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 31 October 2001, 02:09 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just to backup what the very clever Mr Ga22ar has already said , Active Directory is in all sorts of trouble if DNS is not working perfectly!!!!!!!

Matt