Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Silent Hill

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2006, 04:45 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silent Hill

I went to the cinema last night and had a short list of Mi3, 16 Blocks, Silent Hill and Slither. By the time we got there the only one we could see was Silent Hill. All got decent reviews on iMDB so wasn't too fussed.

Started off really well actually with the mother going to an abandened town called Silent Hill because her daughter sleep walked and mentioned it, so they went so she could sort it out. After a car crash she vanished so went to look for her. The atmosphere of the film was spot on through out. Loads of tense moments and quite a few weird zombie types! The film totally lost the plot towards the end though and the explanation for why the town was constantly burning was pathetic! Olny ever played the game once so I don't know how it all ties in!

Half a decent film
Old 07 May 2006, 05:31 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

I agree.

I'd prolly watch it again.....till the end then i'd turn it off.
Old 07 May 2006, 06:20 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The way I saw it was the mother & daughter died in the initial crash, along with the copper and Silent Hill is a Purgatory caused by the evil done there where lost souls are trapped before descending to Hell or ascending to Heaven. The daughter was the ******* child of the toilet rape of the mad woman in her childhood, and the puritanical elders refused to accept her story and branded her evil, and after her death she sought revenge by plunging the town into it's Hell like state.

That's how I saw it
Old 07 May 2006, 06:59 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

that was one of the first games to actually scare me a little...!!!
Old 07 May 2006, 07:05 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can remember laying this on the old playstation, with aborted fetuses running around, and skinless babies
Old 07 May 2006, 07:20 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I was once up playing it at about 2am and had been stuck for a while. The soundtrack had been very quiet for some time and I had forgotten that the surround amp was on, and quite loud. I cacked my pants when there was a sudden and very loud bang akin to dropping a 2 tonne safe from 20ft. To this day I don't know what it was in the game that did that, but I switched it off sharpish and went straight to bed, where I got a bollocking for the bang waking up the G/F, and no, not that king of bang
Old 07 May 2006, 07:21 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The way I saw it was the mother & daughter died in the initial crash, along with the copper and Silent Hill is a Purgatory caused by the evil done there where lost souls are trapped before descending to Hell or ascending to Heaven. The daughter was the ******* child of the toilet rape of the mad woman in her childhood, and the puritanical elders refused to accept her story and branded her evil, and after her death she sought revenge by plunging the town into it's Hell like state.

That's how I saw it
If theyr'e dead though, why would the pagans burn them? And when they got ripped open with barbed wire?
Old 07 May 2006, 07:37 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/s...d.php?t=478885
Old 08 May 2006, 10:44 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

SH1 is the only 3rd person game I ever completed on the Playstation. All the others (Resident Evil, Dino Crisis) I just gave up at some point or other.

I had a walkthrough so went through each of the endings. Really loved the way SH changed from one state to the other with the Sirens. When I heard the sirens in the movie trailer it felt like someone had walked over my grave.
Old 08 May 2006, 01:08 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

What scared me the most was sean Beans atrocious accent...... and to be honest the whole rest of the film..... brilliant adaptation.
Old 08 May 2006, 05:48 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy

That's how I saw it
I pretty much agree mate, definitely about the mother/daughter & cop dying right at the start (whether as a result of the crash, or just by entering 'Silent Hill').

It was also one of the first films to scare me a little - although I was chuckling at some bits, it was more of a nervous laughter!

It takes quite a lot to shock me, but I could not believe that it was only rated '15'. It seems when it comes to violence - anything goes but you can't even show a nice bit of sexy intercourse on an 18 certificate film . It's the old argument that it's fantasy violence and not actually happening, but if I had kids of 15, I'm not 100% sure I'd like them to watch that sort of thing..
Old 08 May 2006, 06:23 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

A lot of what goes on in the film ties in with the first game pretty well. Just trying to work out who that triangle headed freak was who ripped the girl to shreds was. And if they were dead how come their bodies are not in the car?
Old 08 May 2006, 06:27 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Just who was the guy with the hooooooge sword?
Old 08 May 2006, 06:30 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by drb5
Just who was the guy with the hooooooge sword?
Triangle head
Old 08 May 2006, 10:00 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

I have seen the film and really enjoyed it, though as I have never played the game I was a bit lost as to what happened at the end. So thanks guys for solving that problem. I want to go see it again now that it all makes sense.
Old 08 May 2006, 10:11 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by martin850
I have seen the film and really enjoyed it, though as I have never played the game I was a bit lost as to what happened at the end. So thanks guys for solving that problem. I want to go see it again now that it all makes sense.
There is some debate about the end ,i have played silent hill 1&2 but never finished them. I have some mates though that have played all 4 and they mock me for even mentioning my opinion on the end
Old 08 May 2006, 10:11 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Triangle head
Thought he was called Pyramid head - he's from silent hill 2
Old 08 May 2006, 10:16 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!