Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

White Labels, Mash-Ups, Bootlegs Etc...

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2006, 01:25 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Labels, Mash-Ups, Bootlegs Etc...

How would i go about getting a remix/bootleg i've done in HMV/Hard-to-find etc...? some of the ones they already have a pretty poor, i've done a few better ones???
Old 04 May 2006, 01:40 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

That's your opinion. One man's 'really good' will always be another mans 'pile of crap'

Why not try your luck on the GYBO website. They seem to rate things that are truely aweful
Old 04 May 2006, 02:11 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

well, yeah all IMO obviously, but i have listened to come bootlegs in various record shops a thought they were shocking tbh, imo of course!

would like to put some online etc.. but how would you know its not gonna turn up in a record shop somewhere with someone else taking the credit??
Old 04 May 2006, 02:23 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unlikely. Online 128k bandwidth mp3 or whatever is not good enough audio quality to be used as a 'master'.

To copyright it I guess you could use the old technique of mailing the original to yourself and keeping in the dated sealed envelope as proof that it's yours.
Old 04 May 2006, 02:28 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

have heard of that before, but couldnt i just send anything in the post, steam open the envelope then put a 'master' of Billie Jean in, seal it and start suing for royalties????
Old 04 May 2006, 03:57 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by wez_sti
have heard of that before, but couldnt i just send anything in the post, steam open the envelope then put a 'master' of Billie Jean in, seal it and start suing for royalties????
You'd also need a time machine for Billie Jean
Old 04 May 2006, 04:12 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A

You'd also need a time machine for Billie Jean

haha, yeah i know, you must see my point though....

in reallity, everything i have done is probaly a pile of sh1te, but imagine someone claiming it was theirs and getting rich of it!

A friend of a friend said he did a really famous bootleg ages ago, cant remember what it is now, and apparently the record company that owned the rights to the originals released it as a remix without him getting a penny..!

still could of been BS!

got broadband at home now so i'll be able to out up or shut up soon, get some opinions!
Old 04 May 2006, 05:17 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The thing is, if you are bootlegging or mashing up existing releases to start with you can hardly claim 'copyright' can you? If someone rips off your rip off you don't have a leg to stand on. All's fair in love and bootlegs...
Old 04 May 2006, 05:57 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

see your point, suppose it would be like a pirate complaining someone stole his booty!!

would want both artists involved to get their share though, i would just want the typical cut someone gets for a remix...
Old 04 May 2006, 06:19 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

see your point, suppose it would be like a pirate complaining someone stole his booty!!

would want both artists involved to get their share though, i would just want the typical cut someone gets for a remix...
what planet are you on?
Its not an official remix- its a bootleg. you wont get a fee like you would for a 'normal' remix-unless the label/publisher of the original were to snap it up as an official remix instead of sueing you for several breaches of copyright and restricted acts, and numerous other legal infringements. The sampled artists get nothing!That is exactly why it is a white label/bootleg press!

You bootleg it, get it distributed with a hotmail address or pay as you go sim number on it for contact, and get the cash from the sales of the 12". In otherwords, you take the money and run.
If it were to sell well, you could make some decent cash doing it- or you could be left with several thousand copies of a track that is pants and you cant shift. Its a gamble!
Best case: you get some good cash from the sales, and maybe get signed up for some remixes by someone on the strength of it.
Worst case? you lose your house and the shirt off your back.

Get some good stuff together and go see a distributor- you can either press them up yourself and give them to the distributor, or try and get them to do a P&D (pressing and distribution deal) which saves you some hassle, but it has to be stuff they think they will sell or they wont take it on.

Also- be aware that some pressing plants and distributors will NOT touch bootlegs because of the potential legal comeback on them.

Last edited by Freak; 04 May 2006 at 06:25 PM.