Had my first car crash yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2006, 11:28 AM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had my first car crash yesterday

I had my very first car accident yesterday
It wasnt my fault, i started indicating right to turn into the petrol station, started to slow down and came to a stop. Whilst waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear i sat with my wheels in a straight line and had my foot on the brake when BANG! Some idiot smashed into the back of me!!

I tell you i have never shaken so much!! Everybody was ok and i slowly went to look at the damage done fearing the worst and all i had was a scratch on the bumper and a scratched rear passenger light. The other car had a massive dent at the font and side of wing, smashed light and looked a total mess!

I was driving my very trusty Corsa and them back bumpers have now convinced me im sat within the strengths of a tank, im almost indestructable

I do know that if my wheels had of been turned and i hadnt of had my foot on the brake he would of pushed me into the oncoming traffic. The guy said he didnt see my brake lights come on because of the sun. I wont be claiming as theres no damage to my car but its going to cost him a fair bit as he said he didnt want to lose his 7 years no claims.

I dont have any whiplash and wont be trying to scam any money, it just made me realise how sometimes you can take your life for granted.
Old 04 May 2006, 11:37 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
It wasnt my fault, i started indicating right to turn into the petrol station, started to slow down and came to a stop. Whilst waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear i sat with my wheels in a straight line and had my foot on the brake when BANG! Some idiot smashed into the back of me!!

I tell you i have never shaken so much!! Everybody was ok and i slowly went to look at the damage done fearing the worst and all i had was a scratch on the bumper and a scratched rear passenger light. The other car had a massive dent at the font and side of wing, smashed light and looked a total mess!

I was driving my very trusty Corsa and them back bumpers have now convinced me im sat within the strengths of a tank, im almost indestructable

I do know that if my wheels had of been turned and i hadnt of had my foot on the brake he would of pushed me into the oncoming traffic. The guy said he didnt see my brake lights come on because of the sun. I wont be claiming as theres no damage to my car but its going to cost him a fair bit as he said he didnt want to lose his 7 years no claims.

I dont have any whiplash and wont be trying to scam any money, it just made me realise how sometimes you can take your life for granted.
If I were you I'd make sure you tell your insurance company and tell them that it wasn't your fault !

If you haven't already .
Old 04 May 2006, 11:39 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

And then your premium will go up for having been involved in an accident.
Old 04 May 2006, 11:40 AM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

i didnt know i needed to do that? he didnt take my details just gave me his and his reg number incase i found any damage.
Old 04 May 2006, 11:42 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Presumed youve tried to open your boot and stuff, seen it happen a few times where there appears to be no damage but the underneath is bent as ****
Old 04 May 2006, 11:45 AM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Wow, a decent human being,how refreshing.Im sure youve just got mild concussion and when your head sorts itself out you can take him for everything hes got!
Old 04 May 2006, 11:45 AM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

yeah i went straight to my garage where they looked after me and made me a cuppa tea

boot is fine, wheel is fine, so i got the back to black out and covered the sctarches up
Old 04 May 2006, 11:47 AM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pete1977
Wow, a decent human being,how refreshing.Im sure youve just got mild concussion and when your head sorts itself out you can take him for everything hes got!
lol i am honest and i was more concerned about my car, and seeing as thats ok and im ok then no harm done.
Old 04 May 2006, 11:52 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
And then your premium will go up for having been involved in an accident.
Didn't realise that your premium went up if you are involved in an accident that's not your fault and you aren't claiming any repair costs - I guess the Insurance Industry is worse than I thought !
Old 04 May 2006, 11:54 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Didn't realise that your premium went up if you are involved in an accident that's not your fault and you aren't claiming any repair costs - I guess the Insurance Industry is worse than I thought !
Did for me - i tried a quote with it on and not on the quote (girl drove into back of me i didnt claim as she gave me £50 to cover the polishing - all the bumper required).
Old 04 May 2006, 11:56 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't the case. I wrote off a car in August 2004, wasn't my fault at all, I was extremely lucky not to be killed (I _was_ forced into the path of oncoming traffic on the A414 ), but it had zero affect on my premiums.
Old 04 May 2006, 11:58 AM
Reality
BANNED

i didnt know i needed to do that? he didnt take my details just gave me his and his reg number incase i found any damage.
When he gets a quote for £3,000 to repair his car he might take a different view on his 7 years no claims. He may then tell his Insurance co that your brake lights were defective. They could then call your Insurance co and they could all get very suspicious as to why you've not mentioned this incident and claimed for any damage.

Then they'll probably settle as a 50/50 blame accident and your insurance will indeed go up.

But I could be wrong - maybe a fiendly insurance broker can advise if you should report it or not.

But I definately would !

Not everybody is a nice as you seem to be.
Old 04 May 2006, 12:00 PM
Reality
BANNED

Did for me - i tried a quote with it on and not on the quote (girl drove into back of me i didnt claim as she gave me £50 to cover the polishing - all the bumper required).
But a claim is not the same a reporting an accident to your insurers.
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Had a similar thing a few weeks ago. Some idiot just rammed into the back of us whilst staionary waiting to turn right. She wrote her Saxo off and we are picking our car up from the bodyshop today. We were in a Golf VR6 and it stood up very well compared to the Saxo.
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevencotton
It isn't the case. I wrote off a car in August 2004, wasn't my fault at all, I was extremely lucky not to be killed (I _was_ forced into the path of oncoming traffic on the A414 ), but it had zero affect on my premiums.
Erm yes it is! Maybe just us younguns... Cos the same thing happened with my girlfriend. Some muppet rammed her in her mum's car, full claim off the other insurance, yet her quote on her own car went up £55 over the premium without declaring the non-fault accident. This was a completely different company to mine.
Old 04 May 2006, 12:02 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

But a claim is not the same a reporting an accident to your insurers.
I didnt claim!

When u fill out a quote they ask for claims OR accidents, nonfault or otherwise. If you have notified the insurance then the accident exists on the register.

Maybe i just try bad companies (i.e. Tesco)
Old 04 May 2006, 12:05 PM
Reality
BANNED

Erm yes it is! Maybe just us younguns... Cos the same thing happened with my girlfriend. Some muppet rammed her in her mum's car, full claim off the other insurance, yet her quote on her own car went up £55 over the premium without declaring the non-fault accident. This was a completely different company to mine.
You need another insurer - I had an accident that was my fault and my premuim only went up £40 .

Being an old git does have some advantages .
Old 04 May 2006, 12:06 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps they just scammed you Not very fair is it!
Old 04 May 2006, 12:08 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevencotton
Perhaps they just scammed you Not very fair is it!
Well it was only a quote, i chose not to declare it in the end and after having a fault accident later in the year had no trouble claiming.
Old 04 May 2006, 06:05 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

I didnt claim!

When u fill out a quote they ask for claims OR accidents, nonfault or otherwise. If you have notified the insurance then the accident exists on the register.

Maybe i just try bad companies (i.e. Tesco)
lol im with Tescos now
Old 04 May 2006, 08:23 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

How utterly refreshing to see such fine upstanding honesty and integrity! Maybe if there were more like you our premiums would come down.
Old 04 May 2006, 10:21 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

there probably is damage to your car underneath the chassis. What car was the person who crashed into you driving, cause when my GF crashed my volvo into the back of a corsa she caved the rear end in. My car only had a scratched up bumper.
Old 05 May 2006, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good to see an honest man.

Les
Old 05 May 2006, 06:07 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

No damage done, i had my garage look at it. Yes i am honest and i dont believe in ripping people off even the inurance companies. I am not injured so why should i lie and try to scam money thats not rightfully mine. I would rather it go to someone who has been seriously injured in an accident to help ease their standard of living.

Im a woman by the way

Saz
Old 06 May 2006, 05:41 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I remember a few years ago, a certain major ins comapny decided to sting me for 20% extra on the premium when I told them I'd had the stereo nicked from the car. Stereo was worth £160, excess was £250 so I obviously didn't claim as I wouldn't have got anything anyway. Doesn't stop them trying to sting you at every possible opportunity.
Old 07 May 2006, 11:44 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry SCOsazOBY, my mistake.

Les
Old 07 May 2006, 12:56 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

no worries Les, its hard to tell with most usernames on here