Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

10 reasons why its about to go horribly wrong for us!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2006, 09:12 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 10 reasons why its about to go horribly wrong for us!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...03/ixcoms.html

I think its a case of when, rather than if... our economy is truely shafted - cheers Labour!!

1 Consumer confidence is evaporating
Having buoyed the economy during Brown's best years (now long gone), the public is fast losing faith. Today's Nationwide Consumer Confidence Index is at its lowest-ever, pushed down by growing worries about employment prospects. Rising utility bills and petrol at £1 a litre are further eroding the feel-good factor.

2 Small investors are piling into shares
Here's a funny thing. While telling Nationwide that they feel nervous about the future, consumers are buying equities more aggressively than at any time this millennium. History's lesson, however, is that few can suspend disbelief more effectively than the small investor. When taxi-drivers start giving share tips, it's time to sell.

3 Oil bills are burning a hole in our pockets
When BP bought Amoco in 1998, the best-timed deal of the century, oil was just $10 a barrel. Today, it's $75, more than three times the post-war average. While it may not stay that high, there's no reason to expect a rapid fall to the old OPEC target price of about $25. The full impact on business and consumers has yet to kick in.

4 We're choking on personal credit
Yes, I know I bang on about this but it's the elephant in the kitchen. The extent to which British consumers are over-borrowed threatens economic stability. The problem will become more acute as unemployment creeps upwards and higher household bills cut purchasing power. Watch out for bad news from this week's bankruptcy figures.

5 House prices are detached from reality
Barely a week passes without a survey showing that the price of bricks and mortar is still rising. For many borrowers, the roof above their heads is sheltering chaotic personal finances. But if mass immigration is forcing down wages, as many officials claim, the maths for low-income families don't make sense. Repossessions, a sure sign of distress, look set to rise even further.

6 UK public finances are out of control
In his madcap dash to fund a spending boom in health and education, the Chancellor has abandoned fiscal discipline. To make his numbers add up, he redefines the rules. At some stage there will have to be a painful realignment of government finances. Meanwhile we can only mourn the chronic waste of taxpayers' money.

7 US debt: over-borrowed, over there
On every level, America is submerged in debt. Not just a Fast Food Nation but also a Credit Glutton. Consumers, companies, states and the federal government are living on the kindness of strangers. China is particularly indulgent, holding more than $250bn of US treasury bills. Unwinding this imbalance will rock the rest of the world.

8 Pensions: we're getting older and poorer
Britain once had a pensions system of which we could be proud. As recently as 1997, when Labour came to power, it was in good shape. Today, it's a mess. Brown's raid on pension funds, the fact we're all living longer, and wretched stewardship by some fund managers have combined to wreck this form of saving. A national disgrace.

9 Assets prices: they can't all remain high
It's unnatural for every asset class to be having a party. When gold is high, it's often because investors fear inflation. When shares are high, it's usually a sign of low inflation. When bonds are high, you'd expect shares to be under pressure. High energy prices hurt homeowners, but the price of houses remain high. Something has to give.

10 Cheap money: a vanishing luxury
Across the world, a steady rise in short-term interest rates has yet to unsettle the world's leading financial markets. Sooner or later, it will. Iceland, yes, is in meltdown - and it's not just global warming. Others could follow. Western economies have become cheap-money addicts. As the drug is removed by central banks, shakes and shivers are inevitable.
Old 03 May 2006, 09:17 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

But we've still got the Olympics.
Old 03 May 2006, 09:22 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Couldn't disagree with any of that to be honest I know of people who are in 10s of thousands of credit card debt, huge mortgages etc. It is unsustainable and it all will come crashing down at some point.

I read about the situation in Iceland a few weeks ago - it's a awful mess and in some ways is a mirror of what will happen in the UK if we are not careful.
Old 03 May 2006, 09:24 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

When it all crashes, I'm going to buy myself a house or 2 !
Old 03 May 2006, 09:25 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suprabeast
You mean if you still have a job you will - thats what everyone seems to forget!
Old 03 May 2006, 09:26 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I still don't understand how people can afford to buy houses on incomes of less than £30k a year.And I don't think that is a bad income.

We live in a totally false economy.I even have clients who pay their mortgage payments on their credit cards.

Nuts.Looking forward to the disaster though.
Old 03 May 2006, 09:31 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by lozgti
I even have clients who pay their mortgage payments on their credit cards.
I just can't understand how people can accept this as a way of how they live!?!?!?

Bad state of affairs
Old 03 May 2006, 09:56 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4molie
I just can't understand how people can accept this as a way of how they live!?!?!?

Bad state of affairs
Basically anyone under 30-40 has been brought up with the notion that credit is good and is a normal part of life. There are a hell of a lot of people who live by their credit cards and will be permanently in debt until they die.
Old 03 May 2006, 10:05 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Basically anyone under 30-40 has been brought up with the notion that credit is good and is a normal part of life. There are a hell of a lot of people who live by their credit cards and will be permanently in debt until they die.
True I myself got into approx 13-14k of debt on cards / loans when I was about 20 (10+ years ago), which coupled with only earning approx 14k at the time was a very bad move

Took me many long days and plenty of overtime to pay it off but it changed my whole outlook and behaviour towards money

Took me about 9 months just to get my head around getting a mortgage much to my miss's dissatisfaction
Old 03 May 2006, 10:15 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI

Good point sir!

Just have a look at daytime TV ads, every one ois offering loans secured against you property for the credit poor, no matter how bad a risk you are, no problem - sign here!. Companies charging a fee to help reduce the amounts you owe to creditors and your repayments or accident claims companies - sad state of affairs.
Old 03 May 2006, 10:16 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Appart from a relatively small mortgage and a couple of personal loans for the cars, the misses and I don't have any debt. That means 2 other people are deeply in the poo!
Old 03 May 2006, 10:31 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Appart from a relatively small mortgage and a couple of personal loans for the cars, the misses and I don't have any debt. That means 2 other people are deeply in the poo!
Pretty much well the same as Got an 80k mortgage on a house (currently) valued at 180k and a small(ish) loan on the scoob.

The loan tho was taken knowing that if I ever need to pay it off then selling the scoob would do that and still have some money left over - just means I'd have to be driving around in the other halfs MX-5

On the current spate of adverts... good point, makes me cringe just watching them!!
Old 03 May 2006, 10:35 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by OllyK
Same here - that's two more in the deep stuff .

Seems we're enjoying the biggest Global "Boom" in history. The Bust is gonna hurt everyone .
Old 03 May 2006, 10:45 AM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Lifes over,We,re all gonna die!!!!!!!!AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Old 03 May 2006, 10:48 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Old 03 May 2006, 10:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good post by Petem.

I was brought up to believe that if I wanted something it was better to save up for it and pay cash. It costs a lot less to do it that way and for some reason you seem to appreciate what you have just bought a lot more. The advantage is that our family is not in any kind of debt whatsoever and it is a very encouraging feeling.

Our problems in this country will suddenly escalate when the IMF refuses to lend GB any more money to fund his expensive and dogmatic spending sprees.
That happened once before with a Labour goverment of course when Callaghan was the leader.

No wonder they are casting about for more ways to tax us and the worse one to look forward to is Fatty Two ***** attempt next year to take an average of 40% extra council tax from us. It will be interesting to see what happens in Northern Ireland over that scheme.

Les
Old 03 May 2006, 11:18 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suprabeast
Why is it people seem to think the recession won't apply to them. Truely deluded. LOL
Old 03 May 2006, 11:26 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

£50k mortgage and no personal debt, house worth about £250k, that's another couple of people in deep doo-doo!