Estate Agent problem..

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2006, 07:03 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Estate Agent problem..

Just a quickie...

Me and my other half booked a house viewing for today at 5pm.We sat there and waited and waited and waited.
The position of the house is quite rural,and isnt easy to find.But this is my second viewing on the house so the estate agent knows exactly where it is.

Needless to say,i tried calling the estate agent office,only to be met by answerphone message"we are closed now,blah blah blah!"

Waited another 15mins(50 mins in total),no sign of estate agent or phonecall.

Now the killer of this is,my fiance had to have half a day off work and has to do a 225 mile round trip to view this house,around 30 miles for me..So as you can imagine,we aint pleased.She has to return tonight for work in the morning.

So am i gonna have to take this on the chin,even though its cost us well over £100 to view this house?Or is just a good rant in the morning my only recompense?

TIA..
Old 02 May 2006, 07:17 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

sadly i doubt you have any legal recompense but Id still send an an invoice for your expenses. Ive just done the same for Inland Revenue - sent them am invoice for 5 hours of my time at 40 quid an hour for me to sort out all their mistakes, plus 50p for a stamp and envelope.

I might even send them a nasty red reminder - I wont go shopping just yet but it makes me feel better.

I need to get out more dont I
Old 02 May 2006, 07:21 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Ha ha..Maybe Daisy...I may send them an invoice.Thing is too,we pretty much want this house,and its under there instruction,so if we play up we may kiss it goodbye!!
Old 02 May 2006, 07:26 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobyfella
Ha ha..Maybe Daisy...I may send them an invoice.Thing is too,we pretty much want this house,and its under there instruction,so if we play up we may kiss it goodbye!!
In all seriousness what I would strongly reccomend you do is drop the vendors a note just letting them know that their estate agent isnt doing their job - dont forget the vendors are paying them a lot of money - and that you are very serious about purchasing the property - if the estate agents do choose to play silly buggers but you are offering the right money the vendors may well intervene....
Old 02 May 2006, 07:36 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

The lady that owns the house has moved to south wales,and she doesnt live in the house anymore..Dont worry,i would be banging on the door tellin them whats goin on..

Good idea tho.......
Old 02 May 2006, 07:47 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by fatscoobyfella
The lady that owns the house has moved to south wales,and she doesnt live in the house anymore..Dont worry,i would be banging on the door tellin them whats goin on..

Good idea tho.......
I know you said the property was rural, but there will be someone in the area who will know the owner. I would have a discreet word and try to get her new address, then make contact. Good luck
Old 02 May 2006, 07:54 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Nice one 84.

Now ya mention it,im pretty sure i may know someone who knows there name in address.

it something to follow up
Old 03 May 2006, 08:15 AM
Bluie
Scooby Regular

You may also find that the vendor has had her post redirected by the Royal Mail so sending a letter may reach her. Just an idea.

Mark it Private and Confidential, just incase it sits on the door mat.

Last edited by Bluie; 03 May 2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03 May 2006, 08:54 AM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Get straight on the phone to the estate agent this morning - maybe there is a legitimate reason for them not turning up e.g. Accident, personal crisis, etc. If it's a small estate agent firm and they were meeting you to do the viewing with you at the end of the business day then perhaps that is why they did not contact you to explain lateness/no show.

They should really offer you some compensation for the wasted time & inconvenience IMO. As previous poster said, the vendor will be paying them a fair old fee for selling the house.