Sponsored by:

Are Scoobies "Unprofessional?"

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2001, 01:47 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'll hold my hands up, i'm an estate agent (I know its rare to own a Subaru and not be in IT but it happens!)

So my car (a Sonic Blue V5 V-Limited with 18" Radius alloys, HKS exhaust and dump valve)gets used during the day for visitng peoples houses to give valuations etc (don't often take the punters out in it tho!)

My business partner (Silver Audi A4 Diesel!) keeps banging on about how "unprofessional" the car is.

So far, the main comments from people have been positive (it breaks the ice with lots of people!)but one guy did ask if "got it out of a cereal packet!"

A friend of mine is being groomed for the family business and his old man wouldn't let him import an Sti, he "Had" to get a BMW M3 instead - isn't life a bitch! Again, the Scooby was deemed unacceptable!

Could somebody reassure me that i'm not driving a Year 2000 3 Litre Ford Crapi!!!

Would it effect your opinion if the estate agent rolled up at your house in a car which WASN'T a Vectra???

Russ
Old 10 February 2001, 01:57 PM
S600BYY
Scooby Regular

Talking

no i don't think it would affect my opinion of estate agents because it's already low.lol
only joking m8 but you did ask for that one.
my local estate agents have a d reg sierra estate so i think a scoob is definatley a step in the right direction.
if a scoob is what you want stuff the rest!
it wouldn't put me off using a certain estate agent because of what car he/she drives i think you will find most people are swayed by the commision they charge for what little work they do
sorry for the constant digs but iv'e just been tucked up by an agent my self so my contempt for agents is strong i guess i shouldnt tar you all with the same brush but hey shi* happens

S600BYY

[This message has been edited by S600BYY (edited 10 February 2001).]

[This message has been edited by S600BYY (edited 10 February 2001).]
Old 10 February 2001, 02:02 PM
NIGE K
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Russ
I work as a Financial Advisor for small to medium sized companies. I always turn up in the P1 (and a suit) which often attracts compliments and certainly breaks the ice.
You don't have to be boring to be professional!!!!

NigeK
Old 10 February 2001, 02:09 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Russ

I'm with NigeK on this one, helps to create a talking point which will relax people. The agent that sold my flat had a UK turbo, although i do think some (not all) are robbing bar stewards !!! I was fleeced for over 1k and they done fugger all !!! I done all the viewings and the chasing round to find out what was going on !!! Rant over, your car sounds the dogs.

Skip.
Old 10 February 2001, 03:17 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Russ,

Tell u r business partner that if he wants 2 be a boring old fart thats his choice. But u r not ready 4 the pipe n slippers brigade yet As the guys say it creates an ice breaker. Like most owners I`ve had people
approach me in the street just to ask about my car (an before u ask not to find out if it`s alarmed ) As for the M3 thing any1 turning up 2 c me in that has 2 work at least 3 times as hard with me before I`ll part with my cash

Pete
Old 10 February 2001, 03:24 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Talking

I am in Sales (Software..I know!!) and I turn up in the Scoob with a scoobynet visor sticker plastered over the rear window...

It's my car, so the company can bog off if they think it is unprofessional. Anyway, it always generates a 'whats a scoobynet?'. After I tell them I am not sure if they think I am sad or not?!!!

Who cares anyway!!

Jamie
Old 10 February 2001, 03:35 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I've got a M8 who owned a Type R (in blue), and used to go to meetings in it. Got a lot of compliments about the car.

He then bought a EVO 6 Makinen.... hmm...

He now gets the 'grow up' comments etc.....

Hasn't helped business....

Dan
Old 10 February 2001, 06:13 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I turn up for meetings with "Blue Chip" clients in bike leathers on my bike. It does help that our company is a courier company, but I always think wtf that's how I am.

Old 10 February 2001, 06:51 PM
TKH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Shame on you !!

I have 4 franchised car dealerships non of which are subaru and i still turn up at dealer meetings in my sti and park it in between the dull volume produced stuff and when asked why dont you drive what you sell i simply tell them i still love the art of driving and once they've had a spin around the block they want one customers also dont mind and take an active interest in the car ,when i drove a bentley they all thought i was making to much loot and i often came back to find it covered in spit or keyed nice eh !
so be proud of you scooby habit its genuinley the only car that you'll never be bored of and when you walk away from it you always find yourself looking back at it.

Regards

Tim
Old 10 February 2001, 07:16 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Russ,

I had this with my bosses about what was proffessional and what not. The co. car scheme was turning into drivell and when I was handed the keys to a Vectra i decided to opt out of it. They just kept saying "...BUT ITS AN SRI!".. and i kept saying "it's a bloody vectra"

They allowed me to opt out and when i told them what I was getting, they suddenly came over all proffessional image this and that.

Sod em. What's even more suprising is that my MD has a Porsche Carrera.

Maybe he doesn't like the fact that my car will have as much performance but cost a fraction of his!

I think that solong as the Scooby isn't modded to death it's as proffessional as any 3 series BM or A4 Audi.

Do it man, I did and it feels F***ing great!
Old 10 February 2001, 07:20 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

The funny thing is that people either say "Wow - what is it?" and want to chat about it - or they're so uninterested in cars that they don't notice its NOT a Vectra so i reckon i'm on to a good thing!

It defintely is more of a plus than a minus tho! I've got access to various company cars for appointments (including the cr@ppy A4!) but although i aim to drive them, i really do, i just can't do it! The Scoob calls!

Anyway, i bought a type RA, rather than Type R so i got four doors... now THAT's professional! Still people often comment that Parkland Estates are the fastest estate agents in town so i guess its all image building, intentional or not!

I just think its the old "you are what you drive thing tho. Estate agents SHOULD drive Vectras - fact of life!

Russ (honest, hardworking, 70 hour a week estate agent!)
Old 10 February 2001, 08:23 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Im in the consulting business, and a few people have queried whether my WRX Sti was "not the right thing", however, as the other people have said, its a great ice breaker, its gets the conversation going, and if you want to stand out from the rest....
Old 10 February 2001, 08:37 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I am one of the directors of a video and live event production company i find my car 'attracts' favourable comments from clients and suppliers alike. never had any negative comments about it.
i was in london at a large record label last week, car park full of Mercs and BM's, etc i ended up with several of the senior chaps comming outside to look around my car and asking about it. Great feeling!
Old 10 February 2001, 10:28 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Surely as long as the car is in decent nick who cares if its deemed as professional, the Scoob sure isn't a Capri !! Surely its better to be individual rather than drive some boring Audi or BMW just because someone thinks these have status. The company I work for now only uses BMW as company cars as they have found them cheaper to lease than Fords !! Its funny watchcing all those poor reps trying to work out whos dull 318i is theres !!

AllanB
Old 11 February 2001, 12:19 AM
Geoff P
Scooby Regular

Like Gary I am in excecutive search & selection and use my 22B every day.
Never had a negative comment but frequently been asked to go out for a spin, generally always oblige as it tends to seal the deal. I find it an excellent business development tool, ice breaker or talking point. Perhaps I could convince the Inland Revenue that it is an essential Tool for Marketing!!
Keep the Scoob it is your statement of your individuality/unique selling point.
Regards
Geoff
Old 11 February 2001, 01:06 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

If it's got four doors and hooks to hang jackets on what more can you ask for?

What's all this "profesional" malarkey anyway? I'm employed as a mechanic therefore I must be "professional" but I don't get a company car, I can't do lunch but what really bugs me is I don't get as much money as you guys! If I want to buy a house or want some IT advice I'd call you guys and pay a fortune but if you guys have a problem with your car you call the garage, get your car picked up, a courtesy car left in it's place and your car fixed under warranty by people like me who don't get paid enough and can't afford a Scoob!
Sorry, I don't mean offend anyone.Rant over, I know thats the way world is, I've got my coat and I'm leaving the building!
Bob
Old 11 February 2001, 08:07 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I recruit interim managers and consultants for (mostly) 'blue chip' companies, and need to meet blue chip PLC Board members to do this and turn up in a DBM MY99 PPP with full straight through exhaust and Gold OZs!! Never had one adverse comment, and several positive ones.

Have even taken some clients out. On the back of that, there are now three (that I know of) MDs and Chief Execs of *very* large companies who now have subarus as 'weekend cars'!! One (mid 50's PLC MD) uses his P1 virtually every day instead of his Bentley!! Our kind of guy

I do know where your colleague is misguidedly coming from. My colleagues thought it was 'unbecoming' until they saw how it actually helped rather than hindered me with these clients

That being said - I am selling the car due to the arrival of a BMW Diesel but that is down to the mileage I am now doing, nothing else - indeed two of the clients I have mentioned it to have specifically asked me to go out for a update meeting before I sell it!!

Don't worry

Gary

PS if anyone is interested in a DBM MY99 PPP +++ see 'Private' forum
Old 11 February 2001, 08:44 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Question

I sometimes get the same good natured jibes from my Audi/BM/Merc owning collegues. The most common description is a 'it's a toy' Exocet on wheels etc etc.

Customers who have seen the car have all remarked in the positive. Let's face it Audi/BM and Merc company cars are two a penny. To choose a subaru above those Audi's etc shows that you are confident enough to break away from the crowd and that you can 'think outside the box' Two important first impressions to give a customer.

However when it comes to driving in the wet, ice and fog I know which car i'd rather be in. My boss's audi's been back to the garage 4 times(albeit for small stuff) my MY00's only been back for services and has'nt missed a beat at all. I'd rather have a 'non professional' car that kept going than a professional one that spent all it's time getting things fixed.

Old 11 February 2001, 10:25 AM
lcha
Scooby Regular

It cat be that unprofessional as my son i law works for quite a prestige engineering consultancy in Birmingham. Practically all the staff are trying to the 2 litre non turbo on the company car list. They all know they have no chance at a turbo but are still willing to go with the bog standard model.

Old 11 February 2001, 12:48 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I took our MD for a spin in mine. He used to laugh at it cos all my 'peers had M3's etc. He was so impressed that he traded his 4 month old M5 (about 60 grands worth) in for a P1
Old 11 February 2001, 03:46 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Wink

Looks like Neils done the Dale Carnagie course as well then <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>'think outside the box' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> butr he`s right don`t let them slap u into conforming. KEEP THE SCOOB.

Pete