Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

i am discusted!!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2006, 12:50 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry i am discusted!!!

i have been on the phone today to the benefits agency to see if i could claim a carers allowance for my mum. i am going to have to take my mum for a 9 week course of chemo and visits to the hospital are 100 mile round trip every day. obviousley this is going to cost a lot in petrol and its going to take its toll. this is what i was told.....
... as i am my daughters carer (she has disabilities) i cannot be my mothers as well, the only thing they could suggest was to not be my daughters carer and be my mums instead i asked what would happen if i had two disabled children and was told i would still only be entitled to one allowance of £35 a week

i am soo fukcing angry
my mum has worked her fingers to the bone all her life and isnt entitled to money to help with travel costs for treatment that will give her a better chance of survival

GOVERNMENT

a poxy £35 a week BASTIDS!!!!!
Old 26 April 2006, 12:52 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggest you write to your MP rather than SN.
Old 26 April 2006, 12:54 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Suggest you write to your MP rather than SN.
http://www.locata.co.uk/commons/
Old 26 April 2006, 12:58 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i am in the process of doing it now

SN is a good place to air views
Old 26 April 2006, 01:06 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sara, when you write to your MP spell it like this

disgusted
Old 26 April 2006, 01:11 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Very sorry to hear this Sarah and this is not the sort of thing you need, what you really need is help and support. Sorry to see the very system set up to help those who need it is not doing its job.

I had a similar sitation recently which i will not go into. I contacted my local MP and wrote the the local papers as well - the artical was published. Before anyone says what the point then in my case it made me feel a little better to get it off my chest.

Good luck Sarah
Old 26 April 2006, 01:12 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by Karl 227
Sara, when you write to your MP spell it like this

disgusted
Sara - stick with your original spelling - and have a go at the state of the Education "System" while you're at it .

That sucks - your best bet is to get a tea cosy on yer head and claim political asylum from New Labour

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2006, 01:22 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Sara - stick with your original spelling - and have a go at the state of the Education "System" while you're at it .

That sucks - your best bet is to get a tea cosy on yer head and claim political asylum from New Labour
No, your best bet is to stick a loaf of bread on your head and just claim to be stupid.

Always take the easy route. (Nacro 04/06)
Old 26 April 2006, 01:30 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Its shocking, but comes as no surprise - this is life under Labour

My gran had to pay £15,000 for a heart bypass a couple of years ago, as even though she could have had it done on the NHS it wouldve been at least 3years on the waiting list, and theres a good chance she would not have survived that long.

She was involved in the war effort, never claimed a penny off the state - and even worked in the hospital on a voluntry basis for 15years after she retired!!!

Can totally understand you are your mum being seriously pis$ed off - and just to rub it in you see thousands of asylum seekers whove never paid a penny into the system come over, and queue-jump - and get all their healthcare paid for by the UK taxpayer
Old 26 April 2006, 01:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Karl 227, what was the importance of your post and how superior do you feel over making that comment?

Sorry to hear about all that Sara, my wife was a carer to two elderly ladies, one with advanced dementia, her mother. You can imagine the pain and difficulties associated with that too and she too was paid a pittance for doing it. She did that for nearly 15 years!

Les
Old 26 April 2006, 02:59 PM
Pod
Scooby Newbie

Sorry to hear about your Mum Sara, I hope things settle down again in a few days and your exceptional circumstances can be seen as just that.

Petem95,
I'm sure you'd be as delighted to know that right now the maximum wait from diagnosis to bypass surgery on the NHS is now 3 months. Also with technological advances 70% of patients who would have needed a bypass operation 5 years ago can now be 'fixed' by less invasive means leading to shorter hospital stays and much less time for recovery (3 month max. wait here too). Yes that's right and it is of course where the vast majotiry of our money is being spent.
With regard to your comments about asylum seekers queue jumping they account for less that 0.5% of NHS patients and certainly don't get preferential treatment. Every hospital also has people working to ensure that payment is sought for non emergency treatment from those who aren't fully entitled to receive free care (you won't find that mentioned in the tabloids 'cos it won't sell more papers).
Every day we hear from scraremongering daily mail types who seek to frighten us into believing that this countly is going to the dogs. Of course it's not perfect and I have plenty to criticise NL about. Before banging on about how bad things are here we should look to other countries welfare sytems though - nowhere in the world do you get more for less money.

P
Old 26 April 2006, 03:01 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

That'll be the Nordic countries then
Old 26 April 2006, 05:58 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

thanks guys for your support

i have been on the phone to the macmillan nurses today and found out we can claim for a macmillan patients grant. we are allowed to claim for cost of travel and money for a holiday to take mum away. this is paid in a lump sum and is paid more than once. we can even claim for me having to stay in a hotel while mum is in hospital. i have been in tears today out of frustration trying to sort this out. every time you cross one hurdle there is an even bigger just round the corner. god help anyone who is in the same boat....if anyone knows of any other organisations that can help can you please let me know, thanks
Old 26 April 2006, 06:22 PM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

Hi Sara

hope your Mum does well with the treatment.

Macmillan Patient Grants are a Godsend - I've seen them used many times for this and other purposes. There are some organisations that try to support patients and their family at times like this, financially and practically. For example, the National Association of Laryngectomy Clubs help people who have had their voicebox removed and help to provide equipment and support for this group of patients. I would speak to the Macmillan nurse again and ask if there are any similar organisations that offer support for the problem that your Mum has - all Macmillan nurses have a directory of organisations who can help and should be able to signpost you in the right direction.

Again, hope all goes well with the treatment.

Andy
Old 26 April 2006, 06:25 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, i have been given loads of stuff to trawl through, its just a bit daunting but i will get round to it
Old 26 April 2006, 07:43 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Old 27 April 2006, 12:42 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

reods party political broadcast on behalf of the labour party.....shouldn't you be out canvassing?
Old 27 April 2006, 10:00 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

Originally Posted by Leslie
Karl 227, what was the importance of your post and how superior do you feel over making that comment?
Sorry for the interuption but I've only just seen this.

Leslie,

1. Sara and I get on very well and are permenantly having a laugh together.

2. It was meant as a **** take between Sara and myself, which we endulge in daily, nothing to do with you.

3. Once you have digested points one and two you might like to reconsider whether or not my post was designed to make me feel superior?

4. Don't you just love people who are so quick to pass judgement over others although they have no idea of any background behind a post, you must be almost moderator material