Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TV experts - is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2006, 09:41 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My general opinion of ALdi stuff is that it's reasonable value for money. It isn't top notch, but it does the job. If you're happy with that, then go for it.
Old 12 April 2006, 09:48 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Looks okay. I'd check to see exactly what video connections it has, as it doesn't list them all. You may need component and/or VGA connections depsnding on what devices you want to attach. If its VGA you'll be using, check that it supports the resolutions you want to display.
Old 12 April 2006, 09:59 AM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

There are better TV's for about the same money these days.

Also, you have to put black tape over the Aldi badge

prices
Old 12 April 2006, 10:20 AM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

Yeah - standard def on LCD's /Plasmas looks pants - especially Sky's crappy feed.

HD broadcasts on HD sets is fantastic
Old 12 April 2006, 10:21 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

The picture is usually cr@p in places like comet etc because theyre all on the same feed, for example, 10 TVs all being run off 1 DVD player, so the DVD quailty is split etc....

A well set up Plasma should look really smart.

IMO that LCD looks OK, has all the nessisary bells and whistles but as said, for that cash you could probably get something better
Old 12 April 2006, 10:26 AM
watto52
Scooby Regular

ive also found out , when ive bought a cheep tv, when ive had it a while a its surplus to requirement so to speak. I broke it up and found the screen to a sony or phillips etc. so it does really matter imo.
Old 12 April 2006, 10:30 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yeah because Sony are sh!te with Plasmas, LCD though might be a different matter, you want to know what your buying.

The cheaper makes are usually screens from a bigger company but theyre old screens, unused from older models
Old 12 April 2006, 11:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well funnily enough, I find that my Sony plasma with full progressive scan has a particularly good picture quality, appreciable better than the CRT I had before. It is not HD ready but I am not that bothered yet since it will be a while before HD is generally available and at a sensible price too. Maybe the interlaced scan screens are not quite so good, especially with a moving picture if you see what I mean.

It is important to remember that you have to be a minimum distance away from the screen to get the full quality from the picture. If you are close enough to see the pixels than it will not look so good.

Les
Old 12 April 2006, 11:43 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

No you dont understand. Sony dont make Plasmas, smaller companies make them for Sony as they never invested into the market when Pioneer and Panasonic did. So all the Plasmas you see badged up as Sony is infact made by someone else with someone elses screens etc...
Old 12 April 2006, 01:14 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Speak to 97Catalunya he sells tellys and has some real bargains at the moment
Old 14 April 2006, 12:51 AM
97Catalunya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
http://www.aldi.co.uk

and the 32" wide screen LCD HDTV for £699.00?

Is that a good deal or will it be **** quality for that money?
Hello m8 here is a lesson on HD taken from a previous posting

Originally Posted by 97catalunya
FYI

HD runs @ 720 lines progressive and 1080 interlaced (SKY HD) and @ some stage this year with DVD BLUE RAY and HD DVD a poss 1950 lines

HD can be connected either by HDMI, DVI, or component video. The 19" Sony will run @ 720 interlaced via the component video connector

If the Sony is above the price that you are happy to spend then what I would recomend you stick to a good brand and not the korean rubbish as they normaly have quite poor picture quality and if you do want HD then the set has to have MIN 720 lines of resolution and look for HDMI, DVI, or component video, if it has any or all of these then you will be ok but most of all look @ the picture as it doesn't matter what the salesman has to say you are gonna be the one that looks @ it every day not him

Anyways that concludes our lesson on HDTV for today tune in same time next week for patch work quilts LOL

Hope this helps and good luck
Originally Posted by davegtt
No you dont understand. Sony dont make Plasmas, smaller companies make them for Sony as they never invested into the market when Pioneer and Panasonic did. So all the Plasmas you see badged up as Sony is infact made by someone else with someone elses screens etc...
You are part correct in what you say Sony don't make the panel inside their plasmas they are made by samsung, but as for LCD's Sony do, they have set up a factory with Samsung so they can make their own. Sony stopped producing plasma TV's about a year ago and now have all LCD's form 19"-50"

Anyway I have a couple of Sony KLVL32M1S left @ £999 this has DRC to up the res of a standard quality pic but no HDMI, although you can get HD Sky (available in a month or 2) by using the component input. But you would need to pick it up from my shop in Essex or I could find out how much to ship?

Hope you find this usefull

Chris..
Old 14 April 2006, 10:01 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Or you could buy it from here: http://www.ajelectronics.co.uk/ViewP...code=KLVL32M1S

for £889.00 with free delivery.

Chip
Old 14 April 2006, 11:09 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Have a look here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329992