One for the exercise bods.

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2006, 12:27 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One for the exercise bods.

Hi Everyone,

I've decided I may just walk to work now the sun has got his hat on and is coming out to play.

Question is, I am kind of unfit (very) but is a 5.5 Mile walk a reasonable thing to do ? I mean with the exception of one very short, steep hill, its all level ground and tarmac'd.

How long would it take also to walk that far, as an unfit person I deffo am.

Lastly what would be the result in terms of fitness levels weight loss if I did this every day ?

Cheers

Stu
Old 07 April 2006, 12:31 PM
topoff
Scooby Regular

I do plenty....exercise the right foot
Old 07 April 2006, 12:31 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do would be to seek medical advice, ie a check up by your GP. Is it a 5.5 mile round trip or each way?
If its each way, I would probably start off by walking into work and perhaps getting a lift home just to build up to it.
Old 07 April 2006, 12:33 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

15-20 minutes a mile at a normal walk
Old 07 April 2006, 12:35 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3mph is an average casual walking pace, 4mph would be like a brisk walk.

I've always worked it out as 15-20min per mile. So it would take approx. 1.5hrs.

You'll probably not work your heart that much, but it would depend how quickly you try to cover that ground. The faster, the fitter you'll become.

It's good for building some stamina and working the leg muscles. Main benefits is a general well being, calorie burning and weight loss (depending on diet).

Look at the 20 stone ex-Marine in the US that walked the country and losts loads of weight in the process. He'll not get superfit from it, but his overall conditioning will be much improved. Won't turn you into an Olympian, but it will make your healthier and reduce your risk of heart disease.

Good luck,
Stefan
Old 07 April 2006, 12:36 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Hi Everyone,

I've decided I may just walk to work now the sun has got his hat on and is coming out to play.

Question is, I am kind of unfit (very) but is a 5.5 Mile walk a reasonable thing to do ? I mean with the exception of one very short, steep hill, its all level ground and tarmac'd.

How long would it take also to walk that far, as an unfit person I deffo am.

Lastly what would be the result in terms of fitness levels weight loss if I did this every day ?

Cheers

Stu
It would take around 1h-1:15h i would guess, but over a period of time i would expect the duration to drop
Old 07 April 2006, 12:37 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

I think a bike would be the best option here
Old 07 April 2006, 12:39 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I agree. Much better for your health and fitness and you'll cover the ground in no time. Only difference is on a bike you may get 30mins exercise, where as a walk would be at least double that.
Old 07 April 2006, 12:40 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Also it could add 2-3 hours to the working day. Wouldn't be me
Old 07 April 2006, 12:45 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
I agree. Much better for your health and fitness and you'll cover the ground in no time. Only difference is on a bike you may get 30mins exercise, where as a walk would be at least double that.
he could always ride an exercise bike to work
Old 07 April 2006, 12:45 PM
ninjaguppy
Scooby Regular

**** all TBH. If you want to be losing weight dont put it in your face to start with. A pushbike would be better to get the heart rate up but you are better off taking a 2 mile jog three times a week and do some resistance training. As stated long stints of low minor cardio are not good calorie burners.
Old 07 April 2006, 12:46 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

PMSL

The extra time would bother me since the way to/from work is ****. If I lived in the countryside it may be nice and relaxing.

Bike would be my choice.
Old 07 April 2006, 12:47 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I do bike a bit but i dont trust myself orthe other maniacs on the road tbh. It fast country lanes
Old 07 April 2006, 12:48 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

you could drive to work and depending on what you do but you could use an exercise bike at the desk
Old 07 April 2006, 03:23 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

if you are so unfit that the thought of a walk each day has got you asking these sort of questions you need a doc not SN!
Old 07 April 2006, 03:27 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Join a gym! I did and I feel so much fitter after just six weeks of working out for an hour about four or five days a week. I'm losing weight, sleeping better, and generally feeling a whole lot better than I did before. It becomes very addictive though, I think it's the buzz you get from it
Old 07 April 2006, 03:30 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ninjaguppy
**** all TBH. If you want to be losing weight dont put it in your face to start with. A pushbike would be better to get the heart rate up but you are better off taking a 2 mile jog three times a week and do some resistance training. As stated long stints of low minor cardio are not good calorie burners.
So what your saying is walking 55 miles a week (assuming 11 miles round trip) will not do anything for weight loss or health compared to walking 0 miles a week.

Sorry, I dont believe it or agree with you.

Proper doctors always say brisk walks are excellent for health, not as good as running, but still very good for you.
Old 07 April 2006, 03:32 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Join a gym! I did and I feel so much fitter after just six weeks of working out for an hour about four or five days a week. I'm losing weight, sleeping better, and generally feeling a whole lot better than I did before. It becomes very addictive though, I think it's the buzz you get from it
Me also Sal - joined the local health club on Jan 8th, go 3-4 times a week and have adjusted my diet/food balance.

So far, lost 14 pounds and still going strong and loving it - will be there in the morning

Started doing weights as well as CV though, so i'm starting to get muscles in places I didnt realise had muscles.
Old 07 April 2006, 03:35 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Cycle it is my recommendation...
A 5.5mile walk is good for the soul and depending on where you're walking can be quite pleasant... Sometimes me and the missus will go for a stroll on a Sunday and do about 8 miles or so but I live near green belt so its nice...
These days I run 3*2mile per week and cycle about 25 miles a week too - just for general well being and I feel really good for it (except for a minor recurring shin splint injury)...
Unless you have no self discipline or have a specfic requirement that cycling and running can't help with, dont waste your money on a gym... Get out there in the fresh air...
Oh and 20mins a mile at normal walking speed is a good guide as has already been said
Old 07 April 2006, 03:36 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Walking WILL BURN CALORIES. Sitting on your fat @ss doing nothing burns calories - your body is doing it ALL THE TIME.

Difference is how fast it burns them AND whether the activity provides your body with other health/fitness benefits.

Walking 5.5 miles per day is better than sitting in your car driving the same distance.

Riding your bike over the same distance would be better as it's quicker and won't eat into your social life after work.

gym's aren't for everyone. Personally, I'd much rather go outside in the clean, fresh air than do the treadmill in a gym. And before anyone says it there's no such thing as bad weather, just poor inappropriate clothing
Old 07 April 2006, 03:38 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Me also Sal - joined the local health club on Jan 8th, go 3-4 times a week and have adjusted my diet/food balance.

So far, lost 14 pounds and still going strong and loving it - will be there in the morning

Started doing weights as well as CV though, so i'm starting to get muscles in places I didnt realise had muscles.
14lbs is excellent, nice one Between me, Bob and you we'll put all the local pie shops out of business
Old 08 April 2006, 10:43 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

PMSL

Haven't been to the celebrated pork pie shop in Skipton for a while now
Old 08 April 2006, 12:44 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by molko
It would take around 1h-1:15h i would guess, but over a period of time i would expect the duration to drop
A "very unfit" person walking at over 4mph, perhaps 5.5mph? Even on the flat, I think that's a little optimistic. 5.5mph is about the average pace for people who run the London Marathon (i.e. just over 4 1/2 hours) - and people tend to train quite a lot for that.

I've been for walks with people who are not very fit but do some regular exercise, many of whom struggle to sustain more than about 3mph average. I'd say 90% of people would struggle to sustain more than 4mph for any signficant distance. I've done some fairly big hilly walks over brecon beacons, or sometimes just the cotswolds. To get over 4mph sustained average in those kind of circumstances involves walking up the steep slopes faster than most people walk on the flat, and often running the odd half mile when the path, slope etc is suitable. I have done 20 miles in 4 hours once, to do so I was just about keeping up with someone who was out for a few mile run.

So to answer the question more realistically, if you're unfit and its a genuine 5.5 miles, allow 2 hours - and hope to come in a little quicker. If it's mainly on flat ground, as long as you don't try and push on too hard (particularly in the first mile or two), 5.5 miles is completely achievable. You might well find that legs ache tomorrow, depending on how hard you push. Have an "escape plan" ready - e.g. take your mobile and a taxi firms number - if you're concerned about whether it will be too much.