Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

US social security number...anybody got one?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2006, 06:20 PM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US social security number...anybody got one?

As above...

US social security number...anybody got one?

How do I go about applying for one?

C
Old 15 March 2006, 09:49 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Depends on your nationality and why you want one.
Old 15 March 2006, 10:03 PM
Big C
Scooby Regular

I am British, moving to America (non-immigrant), and need a SS number to buy a car/get credit etc...

I've tried here:
http://www.ssa.gov/
But really looking for advice from anyone who has gone through the process of applying for one in similar circumstances.

Anyone?
Old 15 March 2006, 10:20 PM
Rags
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big C
I am British, moving to America (non-immigrant), and need a SS number to buy a car/get credit etc...

I've tried here:
http://www.ssa.gov/
But really looking for advice from anyone who has gone through the process of applying for one in similar circumstances.

Anyone?
Hello!!

I live in Yankieland,

TO get my SSN I had to take my passport which contained my work visa and a letter from my company on letterheaded paper showing my occupation etc.

R u moving here because of work? or cos you married a Yank?

Rags
Old 16 March 2006, 11:11 AM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rags
Hello!!

I live in Yankieland,

TO get my SSN I had to take my passport which contained my work visa and a letter from my company on letterheaded paper showing my occupation etc.

R u moving here because of work? or cos you married a Yank?

Rags
YHPM.

C
Old 16 March 2006, 01:16 PM
greyarea
Scooby Regular

I went through this a few years ago. Fortunately my enployer was familiar with the process and were able to give me a copy of the form to complete plus advice.

I seem to remember that I needed my passport/visa plus evidence from my enployer.

I did need to go in person to the local social security office to apply. I don't know if that is still required.

Best of luck

James
Old 16 March 2006, 03:02 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Yes, you just apply in person, no more complicated than a visit to the post office. Although you obviously need a valid work permit first.

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2006, 03:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'd be very interested to know what the situation is with regards to credit history. In theory you take along your UK credit history and the bank should honor it, however, I've found that here (Canada) it's not exactly true. Very difficult to get a credit card without it being a secure one, in other words, you need to put down a $1000 security deposit. Nice, like I have a spare thousand sitting around.

The annoying bit is that we were told by the British High Commission that it'd be no problem at all, yeah right, just like getting a driving licence would be a direct exchange (it is now, it wasn't in 2003).
Old 16 March 2006, 03:44 PM
Johnny C
Scooby Regular

SS card
Go in person to the nearest social security office, fill out the form and queue. If you are anywhere with a large immigrant population, expect to queue out the door. You need your employment letter, visa (it as to be one that allows work/residence i think) and two forms of photo id. They used my visa as one of those forms of id when i went. Don't hang about, go as soon as you can (i went the day after i arrived).

24 hrs later call them and they will give you the number over the phone, or wait and it will be mailed. Your card may be endorsed like 'This card is only valid with a current work visa'.

On the way back from the office stop at the local DMV and pick up their equivalent of the highway code. Learn it. Within a month go to DMV and book yourself a license test, I got one within an hour! Pi55 yourself at how easy it is compared to the UK. Mine lasted 10mins and involved going round the block twice and parallel parking into a space big enough for an HGV....

Credit
Nightmare. The US revolves around the credit score. People like visa, mastercard and amex WILL NOT transfer your history to the US. When you open a bank account try to talk them into giving you a credit card, if they won't, ask them for a secured credit card: You put, say, $1000 in a locked account and they give you a card with a $1000 limit which you have to pay up each month. At the end of the year they file a report with the major agencies and you will be deluged with credit card offers.

Here's an example:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/creditc...ured_plat_visa