Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How to say no!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2006, 07:38 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to say no!!!

Sorry if you were expecting an amusing thread. This isn't one of them!

I need some help. I am currently going thourgh the process of looking for a new job and the biggest problem I have is turning jobs down from agencies. What excuses have you used?

I have used:
Job is too far (obviously can't use this one if it is down the road)
I have accepted another job offer (This has backfired a couple of times as I have had agencies call me back saying that they can still see my CV on Jobserve!)

To be honest most of the times I have turned jobs down for gut feelings but you can't explain that to agencies. They want to know the exact reason so they can talk you out of it.

Agencies are effectivley sales people and I have real problems saying no to them as I may have to use them in the future.

Please help!!! (and let's not get this thread moved to muppets please!)
Old 23 February 2006, 07:39 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Just say "no".
Simple.
Old 23 February 2006, 07:45 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Agencies have no loyalties. It's just a job. They are paid on commission, so they're NEVER going to mark your card now just because you say "no". If there's commission to be had out of you, they don't care.

Simple as.
Old 23 February 2006, 07:53 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Old 23 February 2006, 08:26 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Flipping heck. Just went off for my tea and four replies already!

I don't know. Maybe it is me being typical British stereotype (queues, never takes things back etc. etc.) I wish I could have more of a spine. May have to get it out of the dusty cupboard and take the mothballs from it!

Oh well. I will try and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all the replies already.

Any other (more spineless) suggestions appreciated!!!!
Old 23 February 2006, 08:35 PM
Crazy Chick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
I remember watching that I do.
Old 23 February 2006, 08:56 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The way to look at it when they phone is as follows :

1. Have you ever met this person on the other end of the line? No.

2. Do you really think they give two hoots about your career? No. The way they earn their money is by getting heads into jobs. That's it. That is the role of a recruitment consultant. Caring about people's careers is not on the job spec.

To give you an idea, an agency's fee for placing someone into a job can be up to 35% of the candidate's first year salary. In executive recruitment, you are looking at tens of thousands of pounds potentially. Expect the consultant to get a nice slice of that money.

For more normal jobs, let's say the fee is 15%. For a £40k job, that's £6k straight to the recruitment company, of which the fee to the consultant would be, I don't know, £1-2k.

Remember that, and it's easier to say "no".

They are nothing more than cold calling sales people. Do you let double glazing salesmen phone you up and chat for hours too?
Old 23 February 2006, 08:59 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Fair play. I will make sure I have a copy of this thread in front of me when they phone next!

I know that recruitment companies are only in it for their cut. Knowing this still doesn't help though. My parents brought me up to always be polite and in situations like this it doesn't help.

Oh well, time to live in the real world I guess and start being a b******d!

Originally Posted by imlach
The way to look at it when they phone is as follows :

1. Have you ever met this person on the other end of the line? No.

2. Do you really think they give two hoots about your career? No. The way they earn their money is by getting heads into jobs. That's it. That is the role of a recruitment consultant. Caring about people's careers is not on the job spec.

To give you an idea, an agency's fee for placing someone into a job can be up to 35% of the candidate's first year salary. In executive recruitment, you are looking at tens of thousands of pounds potentially. Expect the consultant to get a nice slice of that money.

For more normal jobs, let's say the fee is 20%. For a £40k job, that's £8k straight to the recruitment company, of which the fee to the consultant would be, I don't know, £1-2k.

Remember that, and it's easier to say "no".

They are nothing more than cold calling sales people. Do you let double glazing salesmen phone you up and chat for hours too?
Old 23 February 2006, 09:02 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HomerJunior
Oh well, time to live in the real world I guess and start being a b******d!
You don't need to be Alain B'stard.
Be polite, but firm, and say "no".

Either that or setup a premium number, and use that on your CV. Then YOU earn money while they cold-call you
Old 23 February 2006, 09:13 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Fantastic idea. I am going to try that!

Originally Posted by imlach
You don't need to be Alain B'stard.
Be polite, but firm, and say "no".

Either that or setup a premium number, and use that on your CV. Then YOU earn money while they cold-call you
Old 23 February 2006, 09:19 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Homer, I've got a Ford Focus, it's high miles, completely knackered, yours for £50K, would you like to buy it?
Old 24 February 2006, 07:26 AM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Of course. Especially to save face................. Will £20,000 be enough..........

Originally Posted by BOB.T
Homer, I've got a Ford Focus, it's high miles, completely knackered, yours for £50K, would you like to buy it?
Old 24 February 2006, 08:49 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Never forget - you're not paying them. The employer does. They are not your friend.
Old 24 February 2006, 08:59 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

But do remember they are not going to go out of the way to find jobs for you if you don't take them , they'll put forward other candidates.

Be specific about what you are looking for based on your skill set.

You can narrow things down by salary and benefits package, distance, training programme and opportunities for persoanl and career development, a whole host of things.

If you then find the interviews you are going to do not meet the cirteria you can simply tell them the job did not meet the specification you set. Simple !

AllanB
Old 24 February 2006, 09:13 AM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Sage advice. I have tried to tell them that the job does not meet my requirements and they have asked for further details. They are well within their rights to do so as if they are going to help me in the future they have to understand my requirements.

The problem is normally that I have a gut feeling why I don't want to work there and it could be something as simple as I don't like the offices or there is no pension scheme. The problem arises then the the agency then turns into a salesperson with lots of good arguments against my reasoning. That's why I normally turn round and start lying to save face.

I know they are only in it for themselves and their paychecks but my next position is very important. I am not saying I can't do it. It just is a real pain as agencies are a neccesary evil and I am trying to strike a balance.

I know this post comes over as I am completely spineless. I am surprised no one has had a pop yet!!!!! I am not spineless but as other posts have explained there is a balance between being a pain and being firm. I am just trying to get this balance.

Thanks for all the replies so far and I will be keeping an eye on this post (at least till I have a new job! ) so keep any comments going.

Originally Posted by AllanB
But do remember they are not going to go out of the way to find jobs for you if you don't take them , they'll put forward other candidates.

Be specific about what you are looking for based on your skill set.

You can narrow things down by salary and benefits package, distance, training programme and opportunities for persoanl and career development, a whole host of things.

If you then find the interviews you are going to do not meet the cirteria you can simply tell them the job did not meet the specification you set. Simple !

AllanB