Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Exercise Bikes......

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2006, 09:30 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exercise Bikes......

Now don't have a go at me pretty please.

I am past my first flush of youth and very unfit. I hate excercise as such (used to play a lot of sport but that option gone now) but I have got to do something so as a gentle starting point I thought about getting an excercise cycle so I can pedal and splutter away in private.

Have been looking around and come across a York 220P model. RRP £159 but £99 on e-bay which is about my budget.

Anyone got any comments/recommendations please? Thanks, David
Old 18 February 2006, 10:06 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

A proper bike really really is your best bet.

I know the prospect of an indoor cycle sounds better in theory, but they really are so so dull & boring after a few days.

Have you got any quiet paths/lanes near you? No-one is going to laugh at you at all.

The thing is, and this is key, when cycling outdoors, time just flies by. A 30 minute cycle feels like 5 minutes - because your mind is distracted by the view, the traffic, the houses, other people, etc etc.

Cycling indoors, your mind is numbed. 5 minutes feels like 30 minutes.

Think carefully. Cycling outdoors is great!
Old 18 February 2006, 10:10 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

David, its not a bad price for the bike which will have all you need functions you need for the budget you are looking at.

I have not got this particular model but friend has used one on and off for a couple of years with no problems - smooth consistent pedal action.

Only thing (and you probably know this) but exercise bikes are pretty boring and you will get hot on it during the summer months. Better than not exercising though and may encourage you to get outside for walks etc.
Old 18 February 2006, 10:15 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

I always find the way to avoid boring is to put an exercise machine in front of a TV; I did that with my rowing machine, so instead of vegetating and watching something, you row and watch it. Episode of the simpsons, or hollyoaks or something like that works very nicely for a daily exercise.

Got to agree that you will get hot in the summer months. My rower is quite good in that it directs all the air movement generated by the rowing action through a big face vent to help cool you off, and even then you sweat a lot. Find somewhere well ventillated and maybe invest £10 in a big fan when the weather gets hotter.
Old 18 February 2006, 10:23 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for sensible replies

In fact I bought a bike and will progress to this in Spring/Summer. I need more self discipline I know as I started to use bike and then it got to 6.30 in the evening, dark, wet and bloody cold and I didn't need much excuse to leave it in the garage!!

I appreciate that any execise bike will be super boring but I think I could face a couple of 15 minute sessions and I can do this in the warm at any time.

An irony is that I live at the foot of the South Downs and I see all these cycling guys charging up a 2 mile hill over the Downs at a zillion miles per hour. To me that would be like Steven Hawking doing the London Marathon
Old 18 February 2006, 10:30 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Walking up then down the hill everday would be cheaper at the cost of a pair of boots.....fresh air comes free...( well untill Gordan gets in anyway)
Old 18 February 2006, 10:38 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Walking up then down the hill everday would be cheaper at the cost of a pair of boots.....fresh air comes free...( well untill Gordan gets in anyway)
Indeed.
The thing is, you need to think outside the box.

Is indoor cycling the best option for the winter? Why not a brisk walk instead? It's free, you're near some beautiful countryside, and a brisk 15 minute walk will be as good as a 15 minute cycle on an indoor cycle machine. Again, as before, time will pass very quickly.

Come the spring, you'll be on the bike again....and able to go on it at weekends before then.

There's absolutely no reason why you can't be one of these cyclists charging over the South Downs in time. I've seen plenty of cycling "veterans" who could beat the pants of younger cyclists....and I'm talking over 60's who can still do 10 mile time trials on their bikes in not far over 20 minutes...
Old 18 February 2006, 11:12 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 15 minute walk will not be the same as a 15 minute stint on a cycle machine !! get a proper bike and stick it on a turbo trainer and when the weather gets better buy a helmet and go out on it !
Old 18 February 2006, 11:28 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
a 15 minute walk will not be the same as a 15 minute stint on a cycle machine !!
Depends on intensity. My judgement of the original poster is that he's not going to be going full pelt on an indoor exercise bike into his anaerobic zone. I picture a slightly demanding, but not full pelt session - ie, just slightly out of breath.

A brisk walk, as I suggested, will be enough to get one slightly out of breath.

Overall, the effort used for both will be similar.

get a proper bike and stick it on a turbo trainer and when the weather gets better buy a helmet and go out on it !
Yes, a better option. Decent magnetic turbo-trainer can be had for £100 or so...

ie,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...9&ModelID=6055
Old 18 February 2006, 12:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ye thats another better possibilty..!
Old 18 February 2006, 01:03 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

20 mins of 'keen' cycling is worth ~ 200 calories - so will burn off a pint of beer or a mars bars worth...

Think of it like that and it might help you resist the odd pint or mars bar now and again as you can think of yourself saving 20 mins cycling

You need to watch your (garbage) food intake and take regular excercise and you will reap huge benefits

Mick
Old 18 February 2006, 01:14 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Ok guys - thanks. I take your point about the joys of country walks but to me a walk up the hill I mentioned is a boring slog up hill on a narrow no limit road with no footpath in the cold which I hate - to others it's an enjoyable stroll on a crisp morning!! But I'd still like to start with some gentle at home stuff so will stay with the bike idea for now. At least that must be better than nothing which is the state at the moment. Don't get fit on the keyboard
Old 18 February 2006, 01:27 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

David, you could stop smoking for starters.
Old 18 February 2006, 01:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
David, you could stop smoking for starters.

oooooh you bitch........

but at least I am thinking along the right lines (pathetic comment, I know)
Old 18 February 2006, 01:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
oooooh you bitch........

but at least I am thinking along the right lines (pathetic comment, I know)
Anything that helps is to be applauded but I couldn't resist the suggestion.

Don't forget to look for an exercise bike with an ashtray though as passing family members will not take kindly to having *** ends flicked at them.
Old 18 February 2006, 01:45 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Spoon

Don't forget to look for an exercise bike with an ashtray though as passing family members will not take kindly to having *** ends flicked at them.

[/QUOTE]

I'll find a space next to the pint holder.........
Old 18 February 2006, 03:43 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
An irony is that I live at the foot of the South Downs and I see all these cycling guys charging up a 2 mile hill over the Downs at a zillion miles per hour. To me that would be like Steven Hawking doing the London Marathon
I also live close to the south downs (Shoreham By Sea), and am out over them every weekend running and cycling, it's wicked!
Old 18 February 2006, 04:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I expect I'll overtake you then

(Storrington btw)