Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rear projection LCD TV's any good?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2006, 06:59 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear projection LCD TV's any good?

What are your thoughts on these TV's?

I haven't actually viewed one yet, but are they anything like the old rear projection big screens?

50" HD ready Sony for £1200?

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/648_274461.html

Someone care to burst my bubble?
Old 16 February 2006, 07:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

They're pretty good and I would have bought the one you mention if I had a larger living room.
Old 16 February 2006, 07:46 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Bit confusing this one..I have a rear projection TV 43inch which is HD ready and I also have an LCD 20inch and they are different forms of TV screen
The rear projection is as it says a rear projection on to a plastic screen at the front of the tv usually the projector is at the bottom of the TV to keep it slim using mirrors to project.
The LCD is as flat screen which has liquid crystals to form the picture as most computer screens are.
LCD are excellent but screen size is a problem..aint it always
RP's are also very good but screen size is not a problem but the screen does suffer from dark shaded areas on the edges if you veiw from an angle.
powerman
Old 16 February 2006, 08:46 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

You can get the same model for £1230 from Robert Whytes, with a free 5 year warranty.

http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/

I was seriously considering getting one as a convenience all-in-one replacement for my home cinema projector and TV. Picture quality is very good and they have a pretty decent viewing angle unlike the early rear projection TVs. Overall very good value for money IMO.

Gary.
Old 16 February 2006, 09:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The Sony in question uses three LCDs, focused through a prism, and differs from most other (CRT type) rear projection television sets. I have had one and it was excellent; not quite as good as a DLP set but so much better than more traditional RPTVs.

Simon
Old 16 February 2006, 09:20 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I've just bought one a few months back for $2000, the model you are looking at. I'm very impressed. I had more to spend and consider a plasma and a regular LCD, but this seemed to be a better choice. The picture isn't as bright as the plasma, but i like the size, and if it's receiving HD signal (my satelite isn't yet) it should be a very good picture for the money.

Sony use a different technology (same prinicple) to the Texas Instruments DLP used in the Mitsubishis, and I've generally heard the SONY technology is better.

You don't have as many draw backs as with the traditional crt rear pro, but light and viewing angles have an affect to a smaller degree.

I'm happy with mine, and the sound is actually reasonable too............ Haven't felty the need for a seperate system, yet!!!!

The bulbs have a 3000 hour life, so be sure to ring SONY within a year requesting a replacement under warranty!
Old 16 February 2006, 09:30 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

When I bought mine the f*ckers gave you a spare 6000hr bulb too!
Old 16 February 2006, 09:31 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have one of these.

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=326
I have had it for the last 5 years.
The other TVs in the house are B&O CRT so there is a difference in quality but not a HUGE difference.
Having looked at new TVs the last wee while I would say that RPs have come on a fair bit. I like the idea of wall mounting but that set does look very good and great value too.
It is perhaps an alternative to the 42" Plasma and projector and screen that I have been thinking of

Last edited by PG; 16 February 2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 16 February 2006, 09:41 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I was considering a projector and screen as I've just bought a house bigger than I could dream of in London, but can't get the rooms dark enough. May consider blacking a room out after the summer..........

One thing that put me off the plasma was the pictures are nice and bright, but think that is the main draw for most people (and posa-bility.......) rather than out and out quality.

If I get too close to the SONY, there is a lot of drag watching the footie, but the idea is you sit quite a ways back, I guess! And as I said my signal isn't HD yet........
Old 16 February 2006, 10:17 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

Talizman that's the one I bought too and I'm well chuffed with it!
My TV signal isn't the best but am sorting that out soon but for watching DVDs and for £1200 I've no complaints!

Must look into this 3000 hour bulb thingy though!

May consider blacking a room out after the summer..........
Makes all the difference.