Sending fewer criminals to jail is the solution

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2006, 10:37 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sending fewer criminals to jail is the solution

WTF?

Clarke really has lost it. We'll get tough on criminals by giving them community service.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4695730.stm
Old 09 February 2006, 10:41 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Mr Clarke said prisoners would be made to sign contracts pledging not to re-offend in return for help with housing and jobs on release.
Crim: Ok I promise not do do it again! now????

Clarke: Ok there's a good boy here is your house and a job to help you intergrate back into society.

Crim: Thanks mug

Clarke: And we promise not to tell your neighbours you are an ex con.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:47 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

WTF, So your skint without a job or place to live, what do you do. Go and revolt and nick a car to smash into Currys and try to run off with a massive TV and get caught on purpose so they get everything that normal people work all their life to try and get but for free.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:49 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have been listening to this very subject being debated on R5 live.

If prisons are ovedrowded then build more!

Put in place tougher sentences to deter criminals from crime.

Prision is there to get criminals off of the street away form normamal decent people as well as a punishment - Remeber a majority of crime is agianst other people. They are the victims!

Make prison tougher, hard labour for those that keep offening and causing problems, reward those who try to improve their position and do not reoffend.

Offer education and training to all reward those who take it and can show measurable success and effort with early release.

Parole is not a right and must be earned!

Last edited by The Zohan; 09 February 2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:51 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

More weak government.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:52 AM
Rabid
BANNED

bring back hanging!
Old 09 February 2006, 10:54 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

Prisoners need to sign contracts saying they won't re-offend...

what the!!! It's a joke
Old 09 February 2006, 11:10 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Rob a bank, win a holiday

mug an old lady..... skiing trip to aspen

steal a car...... new house

get caught on speed cam........ convicted, fined, 3 points and a possible prison sentance...

and they say they arnt being hard on motorists..

Mart
Old 09 February 2006, 11:14 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blunkett then Wingnut, who's next to be whacko home secretary with the loony schemes?
Old 09 February 2006, 11:16 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kyl3cook
Prisoners need to sign contracts saying they won't re-offend...

what the!!! It's a joke

its all this respek agenda like...

as if..... what planet are they on,,, honestly you can see it when they get up in the morning...

"good morning fluffy bunnikins, and how are we today??"

"fine darling, today we are going to make all those nasty horrible bad men Sign repect agenda,s"

"will that work lammykins"

"Of course darling, once they read the agenda, they will see the error of there ways and realise that they will get a new house, they will become model citizens"

"oh darling your so clever"......

what really makes it anoying is it wont affect them, there not accountable, and when it all goes **** up, who picks up the pieces......us

They need to get out of there ivory towers, and spend some time in the real world, without the minders, the cars and the cushy perks...

pay tax, run 2 cars, and still do a 9-5,

Mart
Old 09 February 2006, 11:38 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

i think they should turn the IOW into one big prision. then put sharks in the water.... that should do the trick.

G.
Old 09 February 2006, 11:41 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

And who said MP's were'nt out of touch?!?
Old 09 February 2006, 11:49 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

The only way i see the UK getting tough in crime is the following scenario.

Blairs son Ewan or another cab ministers offspring is mugged, beaten badly phone stolen, cashpoint card taken and thier account cleared out. He/she spends three months in hospital recovering from the attack, looses sight in one eye or such. In the mean time his/her identity is then copied and huge debts run up in his/her name. They have to prove it is not them and go through hell.

The Police look into it but are underrescourced and this is one of 100's of this sort of offence this week so not a priority. No one is caught

Suddenly this will be a lot closer to home for the likes of Blair, even is pig-heffer of a wife will be hard pushed to see the good in the scum who did it and suddenly law and order and social justice and respec and care in the comminity and all the other soundbites will seem important.
Cynical buit true imho!

Last edited by The Zohan; 09 February 2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09 February 2006, 12:03 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
The only way i see the UK getting tough in crime is the following scenario.

Blairs son Ewan or another cab ministers offspring is mugged, beaten badly phone stolen, cashpoint card taken and thier account cleared out. He/she spends three months in hospital recovering from the attack, looses sight in one eye or such. In the mean time his/her identity is then copied and huge debts run up in his/her name. They have to prove it is not them and go through hell.

The Police look into it but are underrescourced and this is one of 100's of this sort of offence this week so not a priority...
and that's where your example falls down. If it was Ewan, ALL resources would be diverted (even he'd only scraped his knee) and the battered old lady and the molested kids would be brushed under the carpet to ensure the Blair's got priority treatment. You didn't see TB on a 6 month waiting list and getting moved to another list at 5 months 10 days when he needed a heart op did you?
Old 09 February 2006, 12:12 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrahamG
i think they should turn the IOW into one big prision. then put sharks in the water.... that should do the trick.

G.
I think Sharks already live in water
Old 09 February 2006, 12:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think it has been proved well enough that the PC solution, ie to retrain prisoners to all become nice honest blokes while they are in there and to make it as pleasant as possible while they are there, just does not work and never will. These are largely people who have grown up with the philosophy that if someone else has something that you want then it is perfectly reasonable to steal it and in so many cases now, if the rightful owner tries to defend his property then its ok to kill him to avoid detection.

These types will never be converted and I think that the only real way is to go back in time and make prison a place to be feared. Hard labour and less privileges would make people think twice about wanting to be banged up again.

If necessary, build more prisons, and make sure that life inside is not worth it instead of being free and stealing other people's possessions.

I also think that in the case of young louts who vandalise and destroy other peoples' homes and cars etc. should be given significant punishments and that includes corporal punishment such as the birch. Make the other offenders watch it too so that he experiences the maximum humiliation in front of his mates!

Les
Old 09 February 2006, 12:17 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think it has been proved well enough that the PC solution, ie to retrain prisoners to all become nice honest blokes while they are in there and to make it as pleasant as possible while they are there, just does not work and never will. These are largely people who have grown up with the philosophy that if someone else has something that you want then it is perfectly reasonable to steal it and in so many cases now, if the rightful owner tries to defend his property then its ok to kill him to avoid detection.

These types will never be converted and I think that the only real way is to go back in time and make prison a place to be feared. Hard labour and less privileges would make people think twice about wanting to be banged up again.

If necessary, build more prisons, and make sure that life inside is not worth it instead of being free and stealing other people's possessions.

I also think that in the case of young louts who vandalise and destroy other peoples' homes and cars etc. should be given significant punishments and that includes corporal punishment such as the birch. Make the other offenders watch it too so that he experiences the maximum humiliation in front of his mates!

Les

Les for PM

he gets my vote anyway !!
Old 09 February 2006, 12:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The bit that made me smile, albeit with disbelief, was the bit that they sneaked in there again about those doing community work being more "visible".

Is this the daft idea about fluorescent coveralls again? You know, "name and shame"?

I can just see THAT working.

Magistrate: You are sentenced to 40 hours community work."

******: "OK, your honour."

Mag:" And while you are doing it, you'll wear fluo orange coveralls."

******: " No way Jose, lock me up mate, I ain't wearing them, and that's that!"

And we are going to FORCE them to wear them HOW?

Alcazar
Old 09 February 2006, 12:20 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's probably some numpty european statue saying that it's an abuse of their human rights to make them wear day-glo

Never stopped Barbara Cartland though...
Old 09 February 2006, 12:36 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I heard some do-gooder exalting the community service idea saying what a good idea it was to have the vandals that sprayed grafitti tremove it with a toothbrush and how that will teach them some respect.

The reality is different. as pointed out by probation officer and a supervisor of community service. Assuming they turn up which in up to 50% of cases they do not for whatever reason a toothbrushg is not the order of the day.

health and saftey prevails, saftey goggles, gloves, mask and protective clothing and in most cases a power washer to do the work.

All things they did not need when commiting the crimes.