Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

help me track down this ebay fraudster

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2006, 08:13 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default help me track down this ebay fraudster

Ok, will keep this brief as possible, but to avoid answering loads of questions, I will details the steps I have done to recover my cash.

First off...quick apology for the length of this post. If you have the time and can help, read on, if not...well i cant help that.

Won this item on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4592324818

Paid for it immediately using paypal and credit card. (end of nov,begin dec)
Waited for about 4 days but no reply from seller.
After 5 days contacted seller to enquire why there was no response and if no reply in 2 days , advised him of further action.
Got email back, with comments like...
"easy tiger, there are not many internet connections here in southern ireland I have no confirmation of payment, will ship when paid " etc etc.
Apologised for hastiness and checked payment.
It hadnt gone through, so did it again and he confirmed that it had. He also provided mobile number to use as contact if any problems.
Actually spoke to him and he seemed genuine. asked various questions as to why he had a spare one yadda yadda but all seemed kosher.
Then nothing.
Once the payment had gone through, I left it for a while but still nothing.
Then all of a sudden all my emails, calls to his mobile and other attempts at ebay contact failed.
Xmas came and went and still nothing, so after the proper period for fund recovery via paypal, I started the recovery process.
Eventually I got some of my money back but not all of it (paypal maximum) They advised me that the case was closed and that I should seek the remaining funds by my own devices...well reading between the lines in their email.

So this is what I have done since then.
* Contact ebay support asking them to disclose the guys details (and not the ones listed as they are false or dont work and incomplete)
*contact ebay informing them that i have been in touch with all sellers to this guy
*contact all sellers to this member(sorry thief) and ask for this guys details through the proper channels
*ensure that all sellers know i am, asking through the right channels and not contravening any ebay terms or data protection act etc etc
*attempt to track down this scum via the contact details i have, including calling him and leaving messages every three days on his mobile and emailing him every 2 days..these two dont get a response (surprise) but they do make me feel better

But nothing, nadda, zilch

So people this is where i need your help.
Obviously ebay links are not allowed
Mods, please ignore the ebay link in the first part of this post, as it has a legitimate role)
so i cannot post his details, etc, but if anyone is able to help me I would be most grateful.
So far I have
*mobile number-goes straight to voicemail
*email-hotmail so no chance of tracking via that
* rough location in the UK, as in county etc
* name he/she uses as contact

If anyone can help with these details alone, then to avoid any mod action, please PM and I will provide what I have and maybe we can get a result.

* I know that throughout all this , I may have missed little clues, like in the description..titanium..doh didnt see that at the time !! and been a tad naive and patient, but believe me, no ****** steals money from me and gets away with it, no matter how small and petty. It is the principle..full stop !!

I apologise again for the long read and am grateful for anybody's time or advice or helpful hints.

Chris
Old 03 February 2006, 08:56 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you paid by paypal and they have recovered what they can. Was it thru' a credit card ? and if so , have you approached the credit card co. for the rest ? Just a thought.
Good luck
Yve
Old 03 February 2006, 09:04 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Whats the mobile ? Maybe able to get the address from that.
Old 03 February 2006, 09:05 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

he has just bought this.

email the seller explain yourself and maybe he has an address?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6024769371

James
Old 03 February 2006, 09:06 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
If you paid by paypal and they have recovered what they can. Was it thru' a credit card ? and if so , have you approached the credit card co. for the rest ? Just a thought.
Good luck
Yve
yup trying that avenue as well. all this takes time (i can be patient )
but i am so commited to tracking this guy down to get some money, answers whatever of him.
one guy off here is in the process of helping me (thx mate) but any other help would be most gratefully received.
Old 03 February 2006, 09:09 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

set him up search his buying bidding history contact ebay member froma mates username offer to sell it etc, greed is a powerfull but dangerous quality
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

It's the only thing he's sold on there, by the look of it. He's purchased some expensive stuff, but doubt the sellers will provide you any information about him.

I like your attitude and agree with you on all points, but think your chances of finding him are slim, if non-existent, and even if by miracle you do, it will only lead to a small claims case. Was the paypal repayment anywhere near what you paid? I don't see how paypal can have a maximum compensation level as this defies the point of the scheme, surely?

Have you tried the police, as a very, very long shot? At least to get crime reference for credit card company.

Agree with last post that claiming from your creidt card would be a good move, doesn't help with principle, but it's online fraud and most, if not all CC's will help you.
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

yup what else is annoying is the toerag is still active on ebay
no doubt buying stuff for his fancy bathroom with my hard earned money !!

if you want the mobile, contact name, location etc, please PM me, as i dont want this turning in a witchhunt (though that would give me immense pleasure) and dont want this thread moderated for posting details which may contravene sn policy.
i am sure you understand. thx
Old 03 February 2006, 09:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a mate to e-mail him saying they are from the Bathroom Company and wondering if he would be interested in some FREE ?????? 'whatever' .... could he please confirm what address to send the FREE ??????? to.

FREE Taps? FREE Glass Bowl?

You've then got an address, and with that you can do LOADS of stuff

Pete
Old 03 February 2006, 09:16 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
yup what else is annoying is the toerag is still active on ebay
no doubt buying stuff for his fancy bathroom with my hard earned money !!

if you want the mobile, contact name, location etc, please PM me, as i dont want this turning in a witchhunt (though that would give me immense pleasure) and dont want this thread moderated for posting details which may contravene sn policy.
i am sure you understand. thx
How much does he owe you? maybe you could take him to small claims court. Costs about 30 quid but he will have to pay that as well
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

is it a woman? i only just clicked that the user name is supposed to be faye.
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

That's not a bad idea, buy a domain name for a bathroom company with email address xyz@luxurybathroom.com or whatever............
Old 03 February 2006, 09:21 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Do you have his/her correct name?
Old 03 February 2006, 09:44 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

thx for all the great replies ppl.

anyone asked me for details have PM, anyone i missed just ask.
(runs off to clear his inbox )

good idea on the lure on luxury bathroom items.
thats plan number 3

yes guy who i spoke with was called chris, but real name is linked to a woman (again contact details via PM)

amount owed is not massive (and nothing compared to the other thread running at 6K !! ) but its the principle.
Old 03 February 2006, 10:16 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

best thing to do is contact the guy that he bought that thing (shaggys' post) and explain you bought item (link your item #) to prove you're genuine and ask if he still have address,

either call the police about it saying you bought something, blah blah etc..

police will say can't do nowt don't have their details,.
you tell the police you HAVE the address.

police will THEN go and sort him out.

happened to me......long story.
Old 03 February 2006, 10:28 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Agree with last post that claiming from your creidt card would be a good move
no its not as its a 3rd party thats involved so your credit car will tell you to get stuffed if you have a dispute on your credit card its with paypal as thats who took payment and since they have wiped their hands of you !!!!
Old 03 February 2006, 10:29 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
best thing to do is contact the guy that he bought that thing (shaggys' post) and explain you bought item (link your item #) to prove you're genuine and ask if he still have address,

either call the police about it saying you bought something, blah blah etc..

police will say can't do nowt don't have their details,.
you tell the police you HAVE the address.

police will THEN go and sort him out.

happened to me......long story.
ok good idea.
things are progressing well
abig thx to impreza_sports_nutter i have a full postal address including postcode and a name.
To get a home phone number i need to pay but dont know if thats worth it.
so that might well be enough to get going with the police

cant thank everyone enough for all the help.
Old 03 February 2006, 10:32 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well done. Hope the low life will get what's coming to him real soon.
Good luck

Suresh
Old 03 February 2006, 10:35 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Scum on ebay really **** me off. ALWAYS use your Credit card. you always have comeback then.

G.
Old 03 February 2006, 10:44 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

SwissTony - no worries mate. Data is correct as of 2005.

Give 118118 a quick buzz, won't cost more than a quid and will give you more ammo for the Police.

Everybody keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer for me - hope mine get's sorted soon too

Swiss - let me know if you need anything else.

cheers
Old 03 February 2006, 10:53 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
no its not as its a 3rd party thats involved so your credit car will tell you to get stuffed if you have a dispute on your credit card its with paypal as thats who took payment and since they have wiped their hands of you !!!!

call the credit card company and either be honest tell them the goods haven't arrived (should be protected )

or say never done that transaction
Old 03 February 2006, 11:15 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by wwp8
call the credit card company and either be honest tell them the goods haven't arrived (should be protected )

or say never done that transaction
Not the case apparently. I had a thread on here lamenting on my problems with an internet company called Soundsmusical. I paid via visa delta for goods which should have arrived well before Christmas. After loads of contact with the company, I asked for a refund on 23/12 - am still waiting. It looks as though something iffy is going on with this company - phone lines are closed, emails unanswered. I spotted they were selling stuff via ebay, and have sent loads of messages through there - again no response. Lots of people now leaving feddback to say items they have ordered are out of stock etc.

I contacted Barclays to see if I could get my money back - and according to them..

unless you have confirmation that the goods have not been delivered, and that you are due a refund from the company, there is absolutely nothing we can do. This goes for normal visa CC transcations also...'

As I only have my bank statement showing the debit, and 1 email confirming 'an order' (with a link to their website to the my account section - which now shows nothing because they supposedly have deleted the order to provide a refund), and nothing in writing to say they are going to pay me back my £90...I am up **** creek without the paddle..

I contacted one ebayer who kindly provided another email address for this company (one which confirmed his ebay order) but again the guy isn't responding...I don't know what to do next...unless someone knows how to trace a yahoo email account to an address??
Old 03 February 2006, 11:48 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

I do have to say in my experience and that of my girlfriend - it purely depends on your bank.

WIth a Barclays dispute - they want you to do the digging and then send everything to them.

With HSBC you tell them and they do everything and then they come back to you with a decision/findings.

jai
Old 04 February 2006, 05:21 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

looked up the e-bay link and noticed you are the only purchaser from this guy and yet there is a very positive trading score.
Perhaps a suggestion to ebay uk that they split buying from selling in their ratings AND there is a weighting factor on the sale /purchase amount (to stop people doing low value deals to increase their rating and then scamming on the big deal).

As to re-imbursement, I got my money back from Visa when I had paid a deposit on an item and the firm went bankrupt before goods delivery. The proof required was a clipping from the local paper about the firm going under.

Might be worthwhile printing out all the transaction details and sending them to your credit card company (inc. emails, etc)
Old 04 February 2006, 06:25 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

when i paid for something off ebay through paypal with c / card and it went wrong paypal messed me about for month's and when i contacted my c/c for help they said because i used paypal they couldn't / wouldn't help and i'll have to just wait for paypal to sort it out ?
Old 04 February 2006, 09:19 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Problem Swiss has hear is that now paypal have refunded some of his money, and hes accepted it, his card company wont do anything else to get back the remainder, nor will paypal.

As far as they'll be concerned its over and done with, so what they told him about trying to get the remaining money by his own means is pretty much right.

Credit card companies generally hate Paypal and will do everything they can not to deal with them. If you buy something online and pay the seller directly with your card, you are much more likely to get the money back if something goes wrong, if it goes via paypal, you have to rely on paypal getting the money back for you, and they are useless.

If the seller is in Southern Ireland, I'm pretty sure you cant use the UK small claims court as the laws are different ( same applies to Scotland ) - only real option is to contact the police and hope they can be bothered getting of their ***** and going to have a word with the bloke.
Old 04 February 2006, 10:28 AM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle
Thumbs up

Just read this thread - Good luck getting your money off this scumbag Swiss.

The wealth and knowledge on BBS is great, glad to be part of it!
Old 04 February 2006, 01:27 PM
Alex_scoob
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SwissTony
but believe me, no ****** steals money from me and gets away with it, no matter how small and petty. It is the principle..full stop !!
Totally agree with you there. Sometimes you've got to teach these people a lesson.