Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

sleep paralysis

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2006, 02:04 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sleep paralysis

Hi, Just wondering if anyone on here suffers from the above?

I guess some people will not know what it is but a quick search will reveal all.

I seem to suffer it every now and again, always when alone though and never when sharing my bed.

I've read quite alot about it, The symptoms I seem to suffer from are as follows:

Pressure/weight on body (especially the chest).
Auditory hallucinations (often footsteps or indistinct voices, or pulsing noises).
Tactile hallucinations (such as a hand touching or grabbing)

I remember when I was maybe aged between 7-11, I always seemed to get a floating sensation when in bed. That was quite cool!
Apparently this is also associated with Sleep paralysis but I no longer get that

All in all it never seems to scare me when it happens, more than anything I find it bloody annoying

So, anyone that suffers from it please type up your experiences.

Cheers
Old 24 January 2006, 02:07 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Too much 'tossing and turning'?
Old 24 January 2006, 02:13 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

I suffer with it and it scares the living **** out of me, I know when it's going to start as I get a throbing sensation in my head
Old 24 January 2006, 02:18 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I used to get it sometimes when I was younger. It scared me at first, but I soon learned to recognise what it was.

The pressure on the body thing is just a sensory illusion, because you can't move. I got the auditory hallucinations sometimes too... often very vivid music which I didn't recognise.
Old 24 January 2006, 02:24 PM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

I sometimes get it very rarely now though, it was like i was awake but couldnt move or speak, was very freaky,

I was told you get it sometimes because when you go to sleep your brain switches off you motor functions so you dont literally act out your dreams but sometimes when you wake up, it takes a bit for you brain to kick the rest of you body in to life and thats when sleep paralysis comes in...thats what i was told anyway
Old 24 January 2006, 02:29 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I used to get it more years ago, still get it now and again and it is still scary - i'm sort of half awake and half asleep, yet i am consious but cannot move and i hear stuff and feel as if black shadows are pushing me, i used to be terrified but i have accepted it more now. I seem to get it more when i have disturbances in my sleep but like i said it is few and far between now i am older.

years ago before i knew what it was i thought i was going nuts
Old 24 January 2006, 04:17 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

I've had what sounds like this when i was younger , only a couple of times though when i woke up and couldn;t move.. never heard of sleep paralysis till now *pops off to google to do some reading*
Old 24 January 2006, 04:29 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

on a similar note, I've suffered from hypnagogic hallucinations all my life and ended up at the hospital consultants some years back when they got really bad. Basically the bodies motor dont fully shut down during some period of the sleep cycle.

Waking up to find that I can see things in the bedroom that aren't there (some real freaky stuff!) then panicing was the main part but sleep walking went hand in hand with it.

I used to often wake to find myself wondering around the house. Worst case was in hotel I was staying in some years back when travelling and I'd wondered out of the room and down the hotel corridor before waking!

Mine was linked to alcohol, some foods and sleep depravation (worst when we had just had our first son). Still get it a few times a month at worst.

Theres a good forum for this kind of thing, but cant find the link right now and not been there for a while - a google search should pick it up

Neil
Old 24 January 2006, 04:34 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Quite common, as mentioned you are actually paralysed when you're asleep to stop you acting out your dreams. Its just that same people regain conciousness before their brain is able to restore motor function to the body hence the whole scary waking up whilst unable to move thing. Usually only lasts a few seconds but seems longer if it's actually happening to you.

The worrying sleep disorder I get isn't that, it's suffocating in my sleep. Only get it on odd occasions but wake up gasping for breath, scares the sh*t out of me.

Last edited by Graz; 25 January 2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old 24 January 2006, 07:12 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wow. Never heard of this before - I just get these sudden complete body spasms - like every muscle in the body reflexively contracts... really freaky when it happens and it only does when I'm just falling asleep - which as you can imagine is a complete pain in the bum as the 3' lift off is enough to wake anyone up!
Old 24 January 2006, 07:33 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

**** knows, when i go to sleep, i 'flat-line'.......
Old 24 January 2006, 07:39 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Only ever had it twice , after the birth of each of my kids. Bloody scared me half to death. Was told that its often associated with tiredness and exhaustion.
Yve
Old 24 January 2006, 07:39 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
The worrying thing sleep disorder I get isn't that, it's suffocating in my sleep. Only get it on odd occasions but wake up gasping for breath, scares the sh*t out of me.
That sounds like sleep apnea. You should go to see your doctor quick-smart because it can lead to heart attacks and strokes.
Old 24 January 2006, 07:44 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Wow. Never heard of this before - I just get these sudden complete body spasms - like every muscle in the body reflexively contracts...
That's really common - often you get a sensation of falling at the same time
Old 24 January 2006, 08:01 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

mates bird gets these all the time and blames it on a ghost

after watching blade 2 the other night i went to bed, while the G/F stopped up to do more work, i had had a few drinks and fell asleep pretty quickly

i then had a mad dream about ghosts, vampires, all that malarkey, and was "woken" up when she came to bed, i can sort of remember being woken up by a noise, half opened my eyes and saw something in my room, this was not supposed to be in my room and scared the crap out of me (still thinking it was a ghost vampire beast ) i sat bolt up right and apparently shouted out "WOOOOAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH"

when she asked what was wrong i looked at her and then fell back asleep i can kinda half remember the whole thing, god knows where i was in my mind, quite funny tho
Old 24 January 2006, 08:22 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

I get the falling sensation all the time, usually just as im going to sleep but it has happened during the night and scares you half to death!

When i was younger i always had the same dream where i could climb up the washing pole and be able to jump off it and fly! And i could feel myself flying through the sky!!???

And lets not forget the dreaded "someone is chasing you dream" and you just cannot seem to be able to run away!

I also sometimes will do something during the day or say something to someone and then realise that i had dreamt that situation happening!
Old 24 January 2006, 09:12 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Graz
Quite common, as mentioned you are actually paralysed when you're asleep to stop you acting out your dreams. Its just that same people regain conciousness before their brain is able to restore motor function to the body hence the whole scary waking up whilst unable to move thing. Usually only lasts a few seconds but seems longer if it's actually happening to you.

The worrying thing sleep disorder I get isn't that, it's suffocating in my sleep. Only get it on odd occasions but wake up gasping for breath, scares the sh*t out of me.
I used to get that from time to time, haven't had it for a few years now thankfully, like you say I'd know mentally that I couldnt breath but I just didn't have the energy to roll myself back over, i tried moving my arms but they were frozen and I tried moving my head and that was also frozen and then the panic starts to kick in you try to roll over but just have no strength and then what seems to be the last second before you pass out you get your energy and strength and roll over, like you say gasping for breath ****ting yourself !! not pleasant.

I've had the sinking thing when lying half asleep in bed, feels like the body has sunk deep into the matress and your head is still on the pillow, quite a chilled experience that one.
Old 24 January 2006, 10:35 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I used to get it years ago, but not anymore. I blame the **** i was doing at the time TBH
Old 24 January 2006, 11:00 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
I used to get it years ago, but not anymore. I blame the **** i was doing at the time TBH
Probably just the sleep deprivation that came as a result... take it you weren't on smack!
Old 24 January 2006, 11:44 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
I get the falling sensation all the time, usually just as im going to sleep but it has happened during the night and scares you half to death!

When i was younger i always had the same dream where i could climb up the washing pole and be able to jump off it and fly! And i could feel myself flying through the sky!!???
best dream i have ever had was quite recent (approx 5 weeks) and involved me being able to do mad matrix style slow motion bullet time backflips to get out of danger, being able to jump/fly extreme distances and genrally be "hard as ****" compared with the large numbers of "baddies" who were chaseing me was amazing, dam that pesky alarm for waking me up, the snooze button was not enough to regain my previous dream
Old 25 January 2006, 12:00 AM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY

And lets not forget the dreaded "someone is chasing you dream" and you just cannot seem to be able to run away!
Freaky! I still get these weird dreams where I can jump real high and then kind of float back down to the ground, sometimes though I feel as if i'm coming down to fast but I never hurt myself.

As for the chasing dream, still get those every now and again, it's like trying to run in water, just getting nowhere.

I also get the partially sighted one. Can only see blurred things while running away. Anyone get that?
Old 25 January 2006, 12:07 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I used to make this happen deliberately after reading about it in a newspaper
and had never had it before then. Now once in a blue moon it happens and it scares the **** out of me as you cant move for what seems like ages even though it is supposedly only a few seconds.
Old 25 January 2006, 12:34 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

had it once.....it was like me laid on top of me.......exact pressure on every part of my body.

Weird.

Probably the LSD like, but still weird!!!
Old 25 January 2006, 01:28 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyvirgin
Hi, Just wondering if anyone on here suffers from the above?

I guess some people will not know what it is but a quick search will reveal all.

I seem to suffer it every now and again, always when alone though and never when sharing my bed.

I've read quite alot about it, The symptoms I seem to suffer from are as follows:

Pressure/weight on body (especially the chest).
Auditory hallucinations (often footsteps or indistinct voices, or pulsing noises).
Tactile hallucinations (such as a hand touching or grabbing)

I remember when I was maybe aged between 7-11, I always seemed to get a floating sensation when in bed. That was quite cool!
Apparently this is also associated with Sleep paralysis but I no longer get that

All in all it never seems to scare me when it happens, more than anything I find it bloody annoying

So, anyone that suffers from it please type up your experiences.

Cheers
Yeah I've had this a few times. I don't believe in ghosts but it was a very paranormal experience, IIRC it's as though the room is dimly lit when it is in fact dark, and you feel like you are being pushed down in to the bed, and I usually hear a ghostly screaming noise a bit like the wind if that makes sense?! Glad there is a scientific explanation to it and nothing spooky!

On a similar note, I had a dream for ages once when I was asleep on the sofa, it was a bit like what I described above but not quite the same. I knew I had to get up for work soon, but in my dream I couldn't really wake up/get up, and when I did I was sort of crawling around and it felt like the ceiling was really low and I couldn't speak or function properly, I just felt immensly tired. All this was in my head of course as I was lying on the sofa the whole time, but I felt SO concious that I was trying to wake myself up as I didn't like the experience, and in the end I thought I was having a stroke or something !! Not pleasant and very freaky! Strange thing is I sleep very well most of the time .
Old 25 January 2006, 02:02 AM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Just what I need to cure my insomnia!

I still suffer from vivid dreams and sleepwalking. One of the worst cases of the latter involved waking up in the bath - no water involved, but probably the cold enamel was enough to do it. I shirk hotels etc. just in case it happens there.

One of the best cases of somnambulism I can remember was a mate's g/f one night. She woke up, stark naked, as she was climbing BACK into his groundfloor flat when she bumped her back on the window frame. Her bare feet were covered in mud; Gawd knows where she had been, nowhere near me I'm afraid to say.

K.
Old 25 January 2006, 02:59 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

hmmmmm interesting thread used to get these exact symptoms when i went through a few bouts of insomnia i new it was connected.
You start to see where these alien abduction stories come from when youve experienced it a couple of times
Old 26 January 2006, 12:28 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattstant
hmmmmm interesting thread used to get these exact symptoms when i went through a few bouts of insomnia i new it was connected.
You start to see where these alien abduction stories come from when youve experienced it a couple of times

Try visualising an eight dimensional hypersphere (when sober and straight, at night, Rudy Rucker, possibly, "The Fifth Dimension".)

I managed it once and it was more than strange.

K.
Old 26 January 2006, 10:33 PM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

I used to have the devil shouting at me! (when these happened) very annoying, then I looked up what was happening and the next time they happened, laughed told him to F*** off. Never had since..... btw was with gf/wife when they happened.
They used to be seriously annoying/frightening... enough to actually do some research!
Old 26 January 2006, 10:47 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

I've had it quite recently and it scared the sh*t out of me.

Woke up at about 3am and I thought I saw the door open (and I swear I actually heard the noise my bedroom door makes scrapping across the carpet when it opens) and someone stood in the door way, couldnt move but eventually managed to get a "whaaaaat the ****" out of my mouth and then it was gone. It was that real I actually thought it was a burglar at first. The GF thought I lost my marbles.

Did some reseach and that gave me an insight into the problem. It still stopped me from getting to sleep for ages for a good few nights after it happened in case it happened again. It aint nice thats for sure.

Last edited by Jay_bee; 26 January 2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 27 January 2006, 01:40 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Used to get the floaty thing when I was younger.

Not sure if, but when I had nightmares, there was always a scienario when I had a sensation of not being able to a move - or be able to breath, I try to shout but can't. Then I wake up with a sharp jolt - think that's more of a nightmare of paralysis rather than experiencing it.

My right leg also has a habit of having the odd kicking spasm and waking me up

But the best one which I get these days is: I can be asleep, yet when somoen talks to me I respond and talk to them as if I'm awake. I'm totally unaware of it, Somtimes I might remember someone talking to me - but not who or what they were saying.

Freaks me out.

Obviously, I'm great fun in bed