Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Office Politics

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2006, 05:53 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Office Politics

I've not really indulged before preferring to get on with things without having to bother with the gossip and occasional back stabbing that can go on, but finally it looks as if I may have to in order to protect my back.

I now have a colleague who is helping out in the northern part of the UK doing a similar role to my own but whereas I take a more hands off approach, preferring to delegate and giving greater responsibility to our sales force it appears that this bloke likes to hog the limelight and take full credit for things which he hasn't really achieved by himself.

There is no issue with my boss who has made it clear that I am in charge but the arrival (which I initially welcomed as it takes the work load off me) of this bloke is going to cause some problems, meaning I am going to have to make adjustments to ensure that I am getting the recognition as well as him.

So, ever been in this position before? Any techniques or suggestions as to combatting these career glory seekers which are preferably legal and not too Machiavellian.

Cheers.

Old 20 January 2006, 06:15 PM
Martin_Aimless
Scooby Regular

Location: Weapons are like money; no one knows the meaning of enough. M.A.

This guy has loads of top tips:

Old 20 January 2006, 06:19 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Spooky. The bloke I replaced (lack of talent) was the spitting image of him and about as effective. He traded on the similarity for a good few years.
Old 21 January 2006, 01:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Looks like your colleague is a dyed in the wool career man who will do anything to impress the boss even though what he does is not necessarily good for the firm or the job in hand and sod the people who work under him.

Only problem is, bosses often like that sort because it often mirrors themselves!

Les
Old 21 January 2006, 02:01 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Give your bosses car a wash during lunch, offer to polish his shoes, that sort of thing. It'll definitely raise your profile