Salary negotiations..

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2006, 08:39 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salary negotiations..

As some of you may have seen i have an interview next week,

from what ive been told the salary on offer is under what i previously earnt by a fair margin. Now i know that you shouldnt discuss salary on a first interview, but from past experiance this company never used to do second interviews, but would say yay or nay shortly after.

what would be the best way to find out whats on offer before we go too far down the interview route.

I know the going rate for my profession is about 1.5k more than there offering

any ideas how to bump em up?? without being blunt on my second question??

Mart
Old 19 January 2006, 08:42 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Question

If they offer you the job cant you then ask to discuss salary before you accept.
Old 19 January 2006, 08:44 PM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

why would you want to move to a firm paying less anyway?
Old 19 January 2006, 08:45 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Towards an interview, the interviewr always ask if you have any questions....ask him/her then!
Old 19 January 2006, 09:12 PM
Thomas Wainwright
Scooby Regular

Just take the job if you're out of work. Then look for something else after a few months.
Old 19 January 2006, 09:19 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by iamevilhomer
why would you want to move to a firm paying less anyway?
think he is out of work ATM
Old 19 January 2006, 09:19 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

Don't discuss salary in the interview - make sure your cv shows your last salary and then if a job offer is made enquire about the salary. You are in a much better bargaining position if they've made the emotional decision that they want to hire you.

If you cv shows your salary then they know they've got to be competitive.
HTH
Old 19 January 2006, 09:33 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darren...
make sure your cv shows your last salary

Not always a good idea. This put the new employer at an advantage as they know what you are already earning. It's better to leave the salary negotiations to the end of the second interview or when an offer is made.

As it can cost several thousands to go through the selection and interview process, a prospective employer wouldn't refuse adding another £1.5k if they like you.
Old 19 January 2006, 09:36 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat
Not always a good idea. This put the new employer at an advantage as they know what you are already earning. It's better to leave the salary negotiations to the end of the second interview or when an offer is made.

As it can cost several thousands to go through the selection and interview process, a prospective employer wouldn't refuse adding another £1.5k if they like you.
I would agree but I think Mart is more worried that they are offering below par and he's currently between jobs. This sets the scene to begin with before they waste lots of time.

I agree with the costs to go through recruitment - I have had to recruit for multiple roles and the costs do add up.
Old 19 January 2006, 09:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

***** in their court unfortunately, get the job take whats offered, make yourself indispensable and then ask for a raise, thats if being cheeky doesnt work.

Good Luck.
Old 19 January 2006, 09:53 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

If the interviewer is worth his/her salt then he will ask about salary expectations - it will always be one of the factors in making the decision.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:00 PM
bren.wright
Scooby Regular

1.5k spread out over a year is nothing and I am sure that it's something that you should discuss after they have told you if they want you to take the job or not! Any decent company will easily raise 1.5k as that is nothing to them.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:43 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

If they mention salary, just appear very keen and say job prospects a getting on-board with the company are more important to you than the starting rate.

If you start on a slightly lower salary than you think you could get, then the time to negotiate a nice rise will be after youve been with them 12months.
Old 19 January 2006, 11:23 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

My advice would be not to mention salary unless the employer asks. If I am interviewing and people are too direct then I will always doubt their motivation.
If the point arises and they refuse to budge from a slightly too low figure, then you always have the option to accept the job conditional upon a review of your performance in say, 6 months. That type of statement sends a message that you are confident in your abilities and the prospective employer should be too.
Goodluck to you.

Suresh
Old 20 January 2006, 12:42 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Now i know that you shouldnt discuss salary on a first interview...
Mart
Is this a new rule?

When I have interviewed people I have happily discussed salary on a first interview - and unless they are completely barmy it was never prejudicial. In fact I would find it more authentic than someone who was evasive or avoided the subject.

A very typical first interview question will be what package are you expecting - and you need to have an answer.

It may be that if there is a structured interview process that there may be an HR person or salary negotiator who does the final deal - it depends on the job. You will need to know this before you go in.

Also if asked what your package expectations are be prepared to be ball park and discuss how the package is structured - is it all base salary, is there a bonus, share options, car allowance, LV, fuel allowance, free parking in a city centre, pension, health. All these things add up so get an idea of the total value you believe should be placed on the job not just the base salary. Also decide what any perks are worth to you.

Rannoch
Old 20 January 2006, 02:51 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

According to a Lady on radio 2 this week during an interview you should ask about salary, bonus schemes & when & how much pay rises will be. She said that you go to work because you want to earn a wage, not for fun & have the right to know before you accept the job.

You can really see all that working can't you I recon you would be branded a trouble maker & would not get past the 1st interview with that line of questions.
Old 20 January 2006, 04:14 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

mart360, there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to negotiate better salary (or terms & conditions) at a job interview. In fact it is the very best time to do this. However this should happen when they actually make the job offer. If it's a first round interview and there will be later interviews, keep your powder dry

A great phrase I remember for a negotiation skills course I went on was "Thank and Bank". So for example if they offer you X pounds per year, say thank you very much for that offer, but you were hoping to get X + 15% for example. By "banking" the offer of X pounds per year you are saying you can accept that, but then you try to negotiate for more. If you can get them to move on salary at all, keep on "thanking & banking" and keep asking for more until they say no. What you have done is ratcheted up your salary bit by bit to what they can afford to pay you.

Make sure the interviewer has the power to decide salary, otherwise it's a wasted effort. Negotiate with the person who has the authority to decide salary, no-one else. Also bear in mind that there may be other factors which are worth something to you which are not related to salary. Relocation/moving expenses. Additional holidays to help moving. If they can't promise you the salary you want now, get them to agree to increase it in 6 months if you have demonstrated that you can perform to the required level (and get this in writing with the offer).

HTH. Good luck
Old 20 January 2006, 06:31 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
My advice would be not to mention salary unless the employer asks. If I am interviewing and people are too direct then I will always doubt their motivation.
Suresh
True, but for 99.9% of people what is the motivation and reason for working?

Also depends on how long you've been out of work and how badly you want the job, is it worth risking it for the 1.5k? I'd imagine you'd get this increase after a short while anyway.
Old 20 January 2006, 07:05 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Also depends on how many other people they are interviewing - if they have two people they are equally happy to employ, but one is umming and aahing over £1.5K then which one do you think they'll offer it to ?

While I agree it is something you need to talk about, and is the only reason most people work, you dont want to make that look like its the only reason you want to work for them.
Old 20 January 2006, 08:00 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

LOL - just goes to show, there isn't a right or wrong answer. Nothing but conflicting info here!

Just wing it