Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thieving TV license b**tards!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2006, 11:28 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Thieving TV license b**tards!!!

I begrudgingly pay these rip off bully boy b**tards the full whack each year at the post office.
On principle I refuse to set up direct debit as the don't offer any discount like all the other utility providers do. In fact they charge a premium to pay in installments. It would be cheaper for them if I had a direct debit as they would have to send me the large number of threatening scare tactic reminders each year offering to fine me several grand and lock me up at her majesty's pleasuer even though I have a valid bloody license at the address.

Anyway now I'm moving house and I don't need a license for the new address. They refuse to refund the 6 months remining on my existing license. What **** suckers they are.

All for what a load of crappy repeats on BBC and a few hit shows they make millions of profit on by selling the rights to all round the world. And then they insist on ramming adverts for all their spin off businesses such as Radio, BBC online and TV times down my throat between shows anyway. Why not just sell that advertising air time to somebodyelse and be done with the whole thing
Old 12 January 2006, 11:35 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Good day?
Old 12 January 2006, 11:38 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Welcome to a "state" run system

It pis5es me off that I have to pay 136 quid a year for 2 channels of mostly cr4p.
Old 12 January 2006, 11:59 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

It pis5es me off that I have to pay 136 quid a year for 2 channels of mostly cr4p
There's BBC 3, BBC4, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC News 24, BBC Parliament, many local BBC stations..

Then there's Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 live, World Service, 1 Xtra, 6 Music, BBC7, BBC Asia Network, BBC Five Live Sports arena.. AM/FM + DAB services.

and NO ADVERTS.

Which is pretty good compared to Sky.. which is £300-400 a year for even more crap + repeats.
Old 12 January 2006, 12:03 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Guy I work with has no Sky, no TV, no daily newspapers (other than financial for work) only listens to the radio in the car. No microwave due to radiation poisoning, no digital cordless phone due to radiation and if he didn't need a mobile for work we wouldn't use that either.

Saves a bleeding fortune!!!!!
Old 12 January 2006, 12:09 PM
MikT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by EddScott
Guy I work with has no Sky, no TV, no daily newspapers (other than financial for work) only listens to the radio in the car. No microwave due to radiation poisoning, no digital cordless phone due to radiation and if he didn't need a mobile for work we wouldn't use that either.

EddScott, it sounds like your mate as an "EddCase"!

I'll get me coat.............

Paul
Old 12 January 2006, 12:14 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Must admit, I don't mind paying the licence fee. We do get quite alot out of it. BBC1, & 2, all the freeview channels (which I don't watch cos I ain't got a freeview box) plus all the Radio stations etc.

And all this without adverts. Bloody brilliant. Adverts are the biggest pain in the ****.
Old 12 January 2006, 12:20 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Edd - your mate should have a licence if he listens to radio :ekk:
Old 12 January 2006, 12:22 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Is it only me who thinks some of the adverts are better than the cr@p we actually pay to watch
Old 12 January 2006, 12:22 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

But why can't I get a refund for the six months I've paid for but don't need. Any other system of taxation offer rebates if you over pay. It is the whole attitude of these guys than stinks as much as the principle of paying a license.
Old 12 January 2006, 12:25 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I'd rather have adverts than pay the license myself.
Old 12 January 2006, 12:28 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

Great idea, all that money I'd save by doing that, I could go and buy a great TV, Sky, newspapers, stereos, microwaves etc.
Old 12 January 2006, 12:30 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

FB - but he only listens to the radio in the car so i presume you don't need a licence for that?
Old 12 January 2006, 12:30 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I'd rather have adverts than pay the license myself.
You get a longer programes on the BBC. Think about, say "The Office" it lasted about 28mins. If that was on ITV, or the BBC with adverts it would only be say 22-23mins long. On popular programes they tend to put more adverts on in the middle as they know more prople are watching, so reduce that down to 20mins.

I know which I would prefer.................. BBC as it is now.
Old 12 January 2006, 12:35 PM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

you don't need a TV license to listen to radio
Old 12 January 2006, 12:37 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost II
But why can't I get a refund for the six months I've paid for but don't need. Any other system of taxation offer rebates if you over pay. It is the whole attitude of these guys than stinks as much as the principle of paying a license.
Why don't you need one at the new place??? It must be your name on the license I think.
Old 12 January 2006, 12:42 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
You get a longer programes on the BBC. Think about, say "The Office" it lasted about 28mins. If that was on ITV, or the BBC with adverts it would only be say 22-23mins long. On popular programes they tend to put more adverts on in the middle as they know more prople are watching, so reduce that down to 20mins.

I know which I would prefer.................. BBC as it is now.
ER Channel 4 9.00pm Prog start 9.05 pm Adverts for 4 mins WTF is that all about. AMERICANS only have a 5 minute attention span and then need a break to eat like f**k.

License fee for me. It'll be car insurance next that people say "Why the **** should I pay etc......"
Old 12 January 2006, 12:50 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Why don't you need one at the new place??? It must be your name on the license I think.
Got married. The wife has a place. I have a place. We both have TV licenses. Buying a single new place together - only need one TV license.

I can see why they don't like it because one of us is dropping of their database. They should still be fair though. For the way that they sign you up to something and you can't get your money back when you don't want it anymore - their way of doing business is more like the buggers selling crazy frog ring tone or a dodgy website
Old 12 January 2006, 12:59 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I used to agree with the OP, but i think as I get older i have mellowed a bit because I have come to realise even though the BBC is overstaffed and overpaid, they are independant. An example of this is when the BBC accused the government of wrong doing and stood by its convictions re: the Kelly/Iraq saga.

Can you imagine ITN or channel 4 standing up to bully boy blair and his cronies ?

In my mind they have a power no other broadcasting business has because they do not have to worry about advertisers not liking the politics/shaming them for wrong doing etc. They have the power and the cash to say to Tony B Liar and his less than useful people aka ruth kelly YOU ARE WRONG.

They have a more or less independant revenue system and the government cannot really mess with that as it would be obvious to everyone it was a grudge match. They can investigate where other broadcasters cannot because of "commercial interests".

However I do think it should be reduced or some of the overstaffed office culled of useless "Lesbian equality officers" or whatever, you know what I mean.
Old 12 January 2006, 01:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Do you really think the BBC is truly independent after the Iraq saga?

Les
Old 12 January 2006, 01:29 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Maybe not Les, but they are a bit more ballsey than other news outlets., just IMHO
Old 12 January 2006, 01:44 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Look at this cutting edge, risk taking, government toppling schedule for today. I expect the telephone voting for Celebrity Christmas Strictly Come Dancing could have paid for the whole lot about a thousand times over. They must be making big enough profits to give me £60 back

am Breakfast
9:15 am To Buy or Not to Buy
10:00 am Living in the Sun
11:00 am Trading Up
11:30 am Bargain Hunt
12:15 pm Cash in the Attic
1:00 pm BBC News
1:28 pm BBC London News
1:40 pm Neighbours
2:05 pm Doctors
2:35 pm Murder, She Wrote
3:20 pm BBC News
3:25 pm Charlie and Lola
3:35 pm W.I.T.C.H.
4:00 pm The Stables
4:15 pm Tracy Beaker
4:30 pm Shoebox Zoo
5:00 pm Only in America
5:25 pm Newsround
5:35 pm Neighbours
6:00 pm BBC News
6:28 pm BBC London News
Old 12 January 2006, 01:46 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DavidBrown
There's BBC 3, BBC4, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC News 24, BBC Parliament, many local BBC stations..

Then there's Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 live, World Service, 1 Xtra, 6 Music, BBC7, BBC Asia Network, BBC Five Live Sports arena.. AM/FM + DAB services.

and NO ADVERTS.

Which is pretty good compared to Sky.. which is £300-400 a year for even more crap + repeats.
I only have BBC News 24, and I don't watch that. I haven't listened to a BBC radio station since DLT and Steve Wright left Radio 1.

So why should I feel its 136 quid well spent.

Infact the most common watched/ listened to channels in my house are Discovery, The Box, MTV, Eurosport. None of which I need a TV licence for.
Old 12 January 2006, 01:51 PM
Shonen
Scooby Regular

They used to give refunds. Have you asked at the Post Office because you used to be able to pick up a form from them. Might have changed though.
Old 12 January 2006, 01:52 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Ill give you £30 for it, transfer it to my address, get them off my back ! he he

Rgds
J
Old 02 February 2006, 12:59 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Glimmer of hope ...

But in the students section here it says
Do I have to pay for a whole year even if I go home for the summer? If you are going away for summer and you're not going to need your licence again before it expires, you can claim a refund for any completely unused quarter (three consecutive calendar months e.g. July, August, September).
Definitely worth a try.
Old 02 February 2006, 01:14 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

It would be interesting if you could opt out of receiving any BBC channels at all, thus negating the need for a license.

Nick