Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

redundancy tale

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2006, 09:05 AM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redundancy tale

I have been working in my current job for nearly ten years now, I have always put 100% in and I have always been very well thought of from above,

Approx July 04 we were basically put at risk of redundancy due to relocation of the part of the business in the next year, we were given an initial date of August 05 so I did’nt worry too much and just got on with my job happily.

We started having meetings with bosses (one to one) around May 05 and from day one I was told that I was involved in the plans in the future and my job will remain interesting and varied (basically they did’nt want to lose me).

When August arrived my department (of 7) were told that the risk period had been extended but that money had been put into a pot and was basically a loyalty bonus for staying on (payable even if kept on), the new date given was jan 06(nice) and that two of the 7 were required after that date.

Quite confident that if I was laid off I could find work I carried on working hard and pleasing my bosses etc

When Jan arrived we were given letters showing redundancy entitlement (£) along with another date of March , on the letter it stated that as we had been strung along if we found another job we could take the redundancy but obviously this was on a limited basis as they did’nt want to lose everybody.

Two guys left as they was on a temp contract anyway, 1 guy was basically on long term sick so he put in for redundancy and it was welcomed (my company pays for sick) that left 4, 1 guy found another job locally and as he was’nt well thought of by the bosses he was given (just like everyone else) full redundancy, loyalty bonus and he gave 1 weeks notice (contracted to 1 month).

He left 2 weeks ago and Thursday I was offered two good jobs, my job lately has changed so obviously I was interested I approached my bosses and had a meeting, I was told that ‘we don’t want you to leave, we will make it as hard as we can for you to go!’.

They will not give me redundancy (even though at risk until April 30th) they will not give me the loyalty bonus and they are making me work the full months notice, when asked why I was treated differently to the last guy I was told that they wanted him to go but not me!, whats more I was also told that they agreed that if I stay the job would’nt be technical enough for me and also the hours will change losing me a lot of money off my salary.

Surely this is discrimination? It seems to me that the less you do in life the more you gain

Sorry if it’s a bit of a rant but I wondered if anyone has come across this before or anyone has any advice
Old 02 February 2006, 09:15 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

I'd feel a bit ill after being told this, if you know what I mean. Phone in, speak to your boss and mention the word stress.

Last edited by _RIP_; 02 February 2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02 February 2006, 09:35 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monty baber
I have been working in my current job for nearly ten years now, I have always put 100% in and I have always been very well thought of from above,

Approx July 04 we were basically put at risk of redundancy due to relocation of the part of the business in the next year, we were given an initial date of August 05 so I did’nt worry too much and just got on with my job happily.

We started having meetings with bosses (one to one) around May 05 and from day one I was told that I was involved in the plans in the future and my job will remain interesting and varied (basically they did’nt want to lose me).

When August arrived my department (of 7) were told that the risk period had been extended but that money had been put into a pot and was basically a loyalty bonus for staying on (payable even if kept on), the new date given was jan 06(nice) and that two of the 7 were required after that date.

Quite confident that if I was laid off I could find work I carried on working hard and pleasing my bosses etc

When Jan arrived we were given letters showing redundancy entitlement (£) along with another date of March , on the letter it stated that as we had been strung along if we found another job we could take the redundancy but obviously this was on a limited basis as they did’nt want to lose everybody.

Two guys left as they was on a temp contract anyway, 1 guy was basically on long term sick so he put in for redundancy and it was welcomed (my company pays for sick) that left 4, 1 guy found another job locally and as he was’nt well thought of by the bosses he was given (just like everyone else) full redundancy, loyalty bonus and he gave 1 weeks notice (contracted to 1 month).

He left 2 weeks ago and Thursday I was offered two good jobs, my job lately has changed so obviously I was interested I approached my bosses and had a meeting, I was told that ‘we don’t want you to leave, we will make it as hard as we can for you to go!’.

They will not give me redundancy (even though at risk until April 30th) they will not give me the loyalty bonus and they are making me work the full months notice, when asked why I was treated differently to the last guy I was told that they wanted him to go but not me!, whats more I was also told that they agreed that if I stay the job would’nt be technical enough for me and also the hours will change losing me a lot of money off my salary.

Surely this is discrimination? It seems to me that the less you do in life the more you gain

Sorry if it’s a bit of a rant but I wondered if anyone has come across this before or anyone has any advice
What do you actually have in writing? If you have nothing then it would seem that as you want to go and the company is still trading, the usual requirements about notice period stand, you are not being made redundant and you are not staying so why should you get redundancy or bonus?
Old 02 February 2006, 09:42 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Disappear. I wouldn't work the notice
Old 02 February 2006, 09:57 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Disappear. I wouldn't work the notice
And hope they don't decide to track you down and sue you for breach of contract.
Old 02 February 2006, 10:15 AM
ODB
Scooby Regular

THe key point is to whether or not you are leaving or they are making you redundant? If you are leaving and hamding in your notice then you have to work your notice period unless otherwise agreed. If they are making you redundant then they have to by law make you a redundancy package (this is a number of months slary dependant on how long you have been with the company).

They can't just make you redundant and pay you your notice period. They also can't just say they sacked you as they need to provide a trail of disciplinary action all written too.

Whatever happens make sure it is all confirmed in writing.
Old 02 February 2006, 10:20 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Look back, see what you have in writing and take it to cit advice. They will give you good impartial advice.

Gary

ps .take it from someone who threatened to take his company for sexual harrasement from his female boss ....you can win
Old 02 February 2006, 10:33 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
And hope they don't decide to track you down and sue you for breach of contract.
Doesn't seem likely though does it?
Old 02 February 2006, 10:41 AM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

I am currently under threat of redundancy and have been for a long time, my department has been told that applications would be considered to take voluntary redundancy if another job was found.

I have this in writing
Old 02 February 2006, 10:47 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Doesn't seem likely though does it?
If he doesn't move address at the same time, they may well do. Company I used to work for made a point of persuing people for breach of contract.
Old 02 February 2006, 10:49 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I am currently under threat of redundancy and have been for a long time, my department has been told that applications would be considered to take voluntary redundancy if another job was found.

I have this in writing
So you can apply for voulantary redundancy, it would seem they can and will turn you down, no doubt on the grounds that they have already hit their "quota" in your department. There's no mention of bonuses etc there.

By all means contact an emplyment lawyer, but I don't think you'll have a leg to stand on as you are choosing to leave and are not being made redundant.
Old 02 February 2006, 11:08 AM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Don’t get me wrong I know full well that they can turn me down for whatever reason, my gripe is that one guy leaves (who is not wanted) with everything he wants and another is in the same position and is told he cannot have anything as they don’t want him to leave.

It is a moan not so much to persue this, just venting
Old 02 February 2006, 12:04 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Think of it this way - had there been no talk of redundancies and you had found another job, you would have left your present company with no payout.

I think the crux of the matter is that your present company have kept you on and not made you redundant, and you now turning round and saying 'I'm leaving anyway' makes you look pretty ungrateful for their effort - then adding on that you expect to be paid off for doing it as well... they must think you are really taking the pi55.

You have a job now with someone who has already trimmed down the workforce, so its unlikely they'll be doing it again soon. What happens if you take another job and in 10 months they annonce they'll be laying people off and its a 'last in first out' situation ?
Old 02 February 2006, 12:15 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Sorry but that is b*ll*x, my company had to reduce a workforce from 7 to 2, they managed to lose 4 but when it came to the last place they did’nt want me to fill it.

Ungratefull?? They have kept me on as long as they have wanted me not to do me any favours

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that I am now still ‘at risk’ and if situation changes before april 30th they can then make me redundant and I’d have lost the job opertunity.
Old 02 February 2006, 12:17 PM
Reality
BANNED

Tell them you'll stay cos you trust them to do the right thing. Wait until they make the final decisions about Redundancy, get your loyalty bonus then tell them to **** off and get a new job.
Old 02 February 2006, 12:19 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

thankyou a man on my wavelength
Old 02 February 2006, 12:24 PM
Reality
BANNED

thankyou a man on my wavelength
I have done similar things in the past. Once they start taking the **** they will continue to
Old 02 February 2006, 01:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened at our place - 6,000 staff - 3 years ago they wanted 2,000 gone.

The terms were excellent .... so, quite a few applied.

I had 2 members of staff, aged 50, who left on £30,000 lump sum and then £22,500 per year until they reached 60 and then the 1/2 pay pension kicked it.

BUT, the BEST were not offered it .............. not at first anyway.

The dross got the offers and were gone within weeks smiling all the way to the bank ...

Pete
Old 02 February 2006, 01:41 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Monty

You said you have been with the company for nearly 10 years. Had the others who received "easy" redundancy been there that long? Plus are you paid more than them?

I'm only asking as it may cost them a lot more to get rid of you! So they could be stringing you along in the hope that you get pissed off and leave under your own terms.

Nick
Old 02 February 2006, 01:51 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

I am the cheapest by far as I am only a whippersnapper

its not the £ but the attitude