Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling a P1

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2001, 04:57 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering why people bought a P1 then sold it within 1 year. Was it because:

1. It didn't live up to expectations (if so, what changed your opinion from when you placed your order?)
2. Too expensive to own/run
3. Quality problems/poor service
4. Worried about losing your license
5. Need a sensible car for commuting, kids etc
6. Worried about thieves & vandals
7. Worried you'll crash it
8. Swapped for a better car
9. Other

Personally I did a test drive out of interest, loved the car, and decided to buy (rather than lease) as I figured I would keep it for 5 years minimum. Unless I thought I'd made a big mistake with buying a car, I can't imagine selling it within 1 year, so was interested to see why people sold theirs.

I'm sure in a year (maybe even now with the new Evo) there'll be something a little better at the price, but to me it's not worth the cost & hassle of changing. I think it would take a 911 turbo or other supercar to tempt me away!
Old 15 May 2001, 05:14 PM
jimbob2
Scooby Regular

Matt

Just bought one - x reg - £25.5k from Bell and Colvill - reg x369 BPA (just in case anyone knows this one)

I have brought A BARGAIN - £1000 Alpine, radar detector - HKS exhaust system ( that I've just sold for £500 - need the warranty!!)

In response to your concerns
1. What else can you buy that does this?
2. 20mpg is good considering the 0-60
3. Quality seems a LOT better than my MY00
4. Lose your licinse in any car m8
5. Fair point - although it still seems at home on the M4!
6 and 7 are occupational hazards

I'm leasing mine - £7k deposit - 36x£430 with £10k balloon - not that I'll keep it for that long.

Do not worry - you have done the right thing!!

What else is out there - wanna wait 2 years for an M3 (new shape will arrive before you get it) maybe wait for the RS3 or RS TT - or the new EVO (v.good motor!)

Just sit back and feel smug and listen to the muppetts on this board banging on about how they haven't sold etc., whilst they are driving round in £7k cars - then smile.

j
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by matt d:
<B>I was just wondering why people bought a P1 then sold it within 1 year. Was it because:

1. It didn't live up to expectations (if so, what changed your opinion from when you placed your order?)
2. Too expensive to own/run
3. Quality problems/poor service
4. Worried about losing your license
5. Need a sensible car for commuting, kids etc
6. Worried about thieves & vandals
7. Worried you'll crash it
8. Swapped for a better car
9. Other

Personally I did a test drive out of interest, loved the car, and decided to buy (rather than lease) as I figured I would keep it for 5 years minimum. Unless I thought I'd made a big mistake with buying a car, I can't imagine selling it within 1 year, so was interested to see why people sold theirs.

I'm sure in a year (maybe even now with the new Evo) there'll be something a little better at the price, but to me it's not worth the cost & hassle of changing. I think it would take a 911 turbo or other supercar to tempt me away![/quote]

Old 15 May 2001, 07:54 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

Talking

i am sure some people stretched themselves just a little too far financially because they just had to have one!
my only worry is the forthcoming emmission tax charges, but i hope my accountant can creativley remove the car from the company so that i can run it privately,
the car is faultless,quality is good,drive is fantastic, no contest!
besides a 911 is no good as i have 3 kids and so if i want i can still use my P1 at the weekends instead of the boring rover 620.

pete
Old 16 May 2001, 12:00 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I was about to say the same - Dr Evil's car - great stereo with sound proofing etc, tinted windows - good buy if that's what you want.
Old 16 May 2001, 12:27 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

jimbob2 - mate you'll miss the HKS

See my website, the stuff your talking about is described there. Did they leave the stickers on???
Old 16 May 2001, 10:11 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jimbob2:
<B>Matt

Just bought one - x reg - £25.5k from Bell and Colvill - reg x369 BPA (just in case anyone knows this one)
[/quote]

Yup this is Alex's (DrEvils) old car!!

Old 17 May 2001, 11:39 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Wink

I fell asleep in the back of that P1 once. Shame to see it leave Dr Evils nest. But I suppose when the Porsche Turbo arrives, he will soon forget it.

Ron

Trending Topics

Old 19 May 2001, 10:41 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hmm... thats an idea.. thanx Ronnie..

Perhaps though with my plans to settle down I should look at the legacy twin turbo saloon instead
Old 20 May 2001, 08:10 PM
Jon Jonzz
Scooby Regular

Saw an advert for a Contract Hire deal on a P1 - £389 plus Vat per month, deposit was 3 months rental (£1167).

The finance company must confident of high residuals.
Old 20 May 2001, 08:57 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Whats that about muppets and 7k cars then?