Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVD Rentals

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2005, 11:03 AM
Smatt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD Rentals

I have been looking at the postal dvd rentals.
Am I reading it right. If I pay £9.99 pm I can have 1 dvd at a time & the next one is sent out as soon as they receive my return.
If I pay £11.99 pm I can have 2 at a time, when they receive my returns.

Is there a catch?

Thanks

Smatt
Old 24 December 2005, 11:10 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

No catch, Mate, if you want a free 2 months trial for Lovefilm (I am a member so they sent me 2 to give to people for xmas) PM me for the code.

www.lovefilm.com

Andy
Old 24 December 2005, 11:22 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

As above. I've tried all the different services over the last year or so - Screenselect used to be the best, but they've been dire lately. Lovefilm are probably the best currently, but having said that, I have a 3 months free trial code for Screenselect if anyone wants it (only works if you've never had a trial with them before).

Also note that many DVD rental services are operated by the same companies - for example, Tesco's is Screenselect, whilst Sainsbury's use Lovefilm.

If you watch a lot of films then they are excellent value - just don't expect to receive blockbusters the day after they're released or anything...
Old 24 December 2005, 11:33 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I used the Tesco service for about 6 months. There really is no catch, but they are terribly slow at sending out newer films.

You have to make a list of films you want to rent (minimum of ten) and they send out two of them. you watch them and return them in the pre-paid envelopes and they send out the next two.
Tesco allow you to "priorotise" your list, but this seems to have no effect at all on what they will send next.

If you like watching older films, and fancy catching up on stuff you would like to see again, its great.
New releases were always very hard to get hold of though. In the end I cancelled the service as I wasnt using it enough to save money, and was much quicker going to the local rental place for the new films.
Old 24 December 2005, 12:25 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I was with LoveFilm for a bit, and as has been said it takes AGES to get the newer releases. I had about 15 new release films in my queue when I joined up, and got 1 of them within a month.

For older films its great though as theres a selection of 45,000 DVDs.
Old 24 December 2005, 10:23 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I use blockbuster and for £14 a month i am meant to get 3 dvd's a month, allowing for delivery, watching and sending back (all like the rest, pre-paid envelopes etc) TBH there selection of new releases is good and they have a pretty accurate selection/priortise system, which works nearly every time.
Their delivery times i think are spot on and they turn around very quick.

but the best thing is, they dont hold you to the letter of 3 dvd's a month, as I watch them pretty quickly, get them back and on average on amonth i get around 6-8 dvd's a month at the same price, so very good value.
Old 25 December 2005, 10:13 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I use tescos (1 dvd at a time service) I manage to get about 14 dvd's a month out of them
Old 25 December 2005, 12:32 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

I use blockbuster and for £14 a month i am meant to get 3 dvd's a month, allowing for delivery, watching and sending back (all like the rest, pre-paid envelopes etc) TBH there selection of new releases is good and they have a pretty accurate selection/priortise system, which works nearly every time.
Their delivery times i think are spot on and they turn around very quick.

but the best thing is, they dont hold you to the letter of 3 dvd's a month, as I watch them pretty quickly, get them back and on average on amonth i get around 6-8 dvd's a month at the same price, so very good value.
you are paying for 3 dvd's at home at once, you just send them back as soon as you're finished and they'll send you another...they're not bending the rules for you this is all part of the package that you're paying for.
Old 25 December 2005, 01:19 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I agree; £14 a month will be the three DVDs of theirs, with you, at one time service!
Old 25 December 2005, 01:30 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony

Its unlimited dvd rentals, but you always have upto 3 at one time, so they'll send the next one out from your list when you return one, its not 3 rentals per month - that would make it terrible value!!!
Old 25 December 2005, 03:46 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, worded that wrong, was late at night, bit drunk and no sleep due to excited kids, but TBH, the service is pretty good and the selection is fair..that is what i meant to write