Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dragons Den

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2005, 10:57 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragons Den

Damn, missed it last night anyone know if and when its repeated or if I can download episodes off a torrent site anywhere?
cheers
Gary
Old 21 December 2005, 11:26 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

http://www.uknova.com/details.php?id=19898
Old 21 December 2005, 11:28 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

LOL at the bloke being offered 3.2 million for his company by Panasonic and then selling 50% of it for 220k Shrewd
Old 21 December 2005, 11:54 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I thought he was a numpty. . . .

those guys are going to get it into a profitable state then flog it.
Old 21 December 2005, 11:59 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I bet they build it up to be ready for international selling and then sell to Panasonic for £5mil
Old 21 December 2005, 12:00 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thanks warren, have to sign in though and when I try and signup it just comes back sorry this site is not open for public use?
cheers

Gary
Old 21 December 2005, 12:04 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

What about the hypnotic chapati?

"So, what sort of profits do you think the company will make?"
"I'm not running the company to make any profit"
"You want us to invest in a company that doesn't make a profit?"
"Well, I think I do want to make a profit now, thinking about it"
Old 21 December 2005, 12:30 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
Thanks warren, have to sign in though and when I try and signup it just comes back sorry this site is not open for public use?
cheers

Gary
Oh I signed up a while ago and it works fine, maybe theyre not taking on new people? Also you (as a new user) have to 24 from the original seed time before you can download
Old 21 December 2005, 12:45 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Sometimes I do not get the Dragons. They liked the sports vest but some of them opt out for stupid reasons.
Old 21 December 2005, 02:25 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Don't forget that tonight at 7pm on BBC2 there is an update on the Series 1 people who asked for and got money from the Dragons.
Old 21 December 2005, 02:28 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kammy
Sometimes I do not get the Dragons. They liked the sports vest but some of them opt out for stupid reasons.
Stupid eh? ...and how many tens of millions £'s worth of wealth are you sitting on?

The dragons are in the driving seat. If they smell a whiff of doom, they're out. There's plenty more opportunity around waiting for investment.
Old 21 December 2005, 03:26 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Yep, it takes more than a good idea to build a successful business!
Old 21 December 2005, 06:16 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Now now...I did not call them stupid, just some of their reasons. Just be honest Dunken- you do not want anythink to compete with your classes at your gym

Give me ten years................lol
Old 21 December 2005, 06:20 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scott W
Don't forget that tonight at 7pm on BBC2 there is an update on the Series 1 people who asked for and got money from the Dragons.
Thank you,

I was wondering last night why there wasn't an update.
Old 21 December 2005, 08:06 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kammy
Just be honest Dunken- you do not want anythink to compete with your classes at your gym
Nonsense. Tv screens which 'visualise' an outside world while you exercise is NOTHING new.....seen it in gyms years ago, and even home machines (Concept2 rowing machine and home cycle trainers) have been able to do this for years on home PCs.

Duncan was quite right...while people going to a gym might find this "3d world" interesting initially, over time they prefer just to watch broadcast telly!! It's ever changing, and stimulates the mind (for some).

..and they were also correct in that the majority of folks (unless dedicated) don't have a PC near their home exercise equipment.

So....quite valid rejection reasons IMHO. Not really 'stupid'. Fair play to him if he can convince consumers otherwise, but for the dragons, perfectly valid to reject him.
Old 21 December 2005, 08:20 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

You tool im talking about that vest thing!
honestly some people

Agreed about the 3D thing, in the words of Bart Simpson

"It sucks and blows!"
Old 21 December 2005, 09:12 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Ah the vest. Missed the first part of the vest, so didn't see what it was about.
Old 22 December 2005, 06:45 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

if you were offered £3.25 million for a 1 man company making TV stand's i would have taken the money and run NOT turn them down ???
Old 22 December 2005, 08:30 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ73
if you were offered £3.25 million for a 1 man company making TV stand's i would have taken the money and run NOT turn them down ???
I suspect so would he - I think the "offer" wasn't quite as clear cut as he tried to make out.
Old 22 December 2005, 12:20 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

The one thing you need to remember about the people who appear on DD is that most of them are only there because the bank, family, local loan shark etc... want nothing to do with them because they know they wont see their investment again, so its hardly surprising the dragons pull out on most deals pretty fast.

Anyone with a really good idea, or really profitable business doesnt need to humiliate themselves by going on TV and begging in front of a panel of miserable sods as there'll be plenty of people willing to front the money.

The guy with the TV stands was a bit sus though, reckoned he was going to make a pre tax profit of £120K next year, for a one man business yet still wanted investers ? Fair enough he was working daft hours, but with 120K he could easily afford to take on a couple of staff, and still clear damn good money just working 9 to 5, plus he'd own 100% of the company, so if he sold it would get the lot.

Did you notice though that the dragons suddenly got interested when he mentioned the Panasonic deal ? like hell did they want to help him develop the company, they wanted to invest £225K for half of it, then sell up asap and walk away with over a Million in their back pocket for the pleasure.

And... if he really had been offered £3.25M by them, no way would he not have sold and just taken early retirement.
Old 22 December 2005, 12:39 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

The guy with the idea of connecting your excercise bike to your PC is actually a good friend of mine. He will be the first to admit that he had no chance of getting any money from the dragons but did it purely for the publicity. He was the first one on and they said it was the quickest exit ever from the Dragons Den.

He actually sent me an email about it yesterday and here are a few things he had to say about the experience.

-- In reality when filmed they ripped the living **** out of me for 55 minutes. When you're there and you've already had 30 minutes constant slating .. you just start laughing and nodding and wishing it was over.

-- I'll tell you some tricks of the trade they use.

1) The heaters. When you first go into the room you see all the studio lights are on apart from 5. You think 'fair enough' and start talking. When the first dragons says something awful you hear this dull 'click'. It's only 5 seconds later you notice the 5 things you thought were lights are actually 3 bar, 3000KW heaters. Suddenly this hard blast of constant hot air hits you. You start sweating slightly. The next dragon slates you -- click click click -- now 4 BAR HEATERS 6 FOOT AWAY BLASTING DIRECTLY AT YOUR FACE! You start mopping the sweat off (you're there for an hour remember).

By the time the last dragon is chewing the fat with you .. all five are on -- the dragons HAVE AIR CONDITIONING ON THEM. You're sweating like a fat lass. Tricks of the trade I guess.

2) This didn't happen to me, but the guy that went on before me -- one of the Dragons said something nasty and the guy just laughed at the dragon. AT THIS POINT the director shouted 'CUT' then 'I want him (the dragon) to say that sentence again, and at that point I want you to look at your feet'. They start rolling -- The bloke is being directed! But this didn't happen to me, I must have looked bad enough already.

3) There was some stuff the dragons said which was edited out, which made them look like fools. Like Duncan Ballentine at one point said 'The product won't work in any gym, and the packaging is awful'. I said 'It's not designed for gyms and I haven't shown you the packaging yet'. He looked glum. But they chopped that completely.

4) It looks like a fairly solitary affair, but behind the camera must have been 40+ people staring at me! Sound engineers, camera men, producers. You're actually talking to a huge audience.

5) As to be expected, it was edited quite a lot. The Dragons didn't answer me in the order you saw yesterday. They were even cutting my sentences mid-sentence which gave a slightly different context.
Old 22 December 2005, 12:51 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Interesting Joey - good post.
P
Old 22 December 2005, 02:57 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Interesting Mr Deacon, but hardly suprising. It IS TV after all!! We know all reality tv is edited to **** to give a distorted but entertaining picture