Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any solicitors out there? i need some guidance.

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2005, 12:14 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any solicitors out there? i need some guidance.

As title,

are there any solicitors out there in SN land.

basically, at work ive been asked to sign an amendment to my contract (well, we all have) but i dont want too, i want to know where i stand.

the company want us to have a layoff clause in our contract... is this legally ok. Can i be made to sign it. They say they dont want to use it, but if thats the case,, then why put it there??

i know this may get some ' i thinks', but i need genuine advice on this please.

many thanks

Frank
Old 19 December 2005, 12:27 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

"i think" you don't have to sign a new contract if you don't want to
Old 19 December 2005, 12:39 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

My wife and her colleagues have been asked to sign a new contract with some new restrictions in, but after advice they havent. It all depends on how your management view this and, if pressure will be placed upon you to sign.
Old 19 December 2005, 01:08 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have your union been consulted on this potential change of contract terms and conditions if not I would get in touch with them asap and let them know
Old 19 December 2005, 02:07 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies so far.

we are only a relatively small company, (30 full time employees, and 20 contrct staff) so we do not have union representation.

i just feel that this amendment to our terms and conditions makes us very vulnerable .... our business is meant to be on the up, but this doesnt really instil that confidence.

There are a few of us that as yet havent signed, (some are supposed to have) i just dont want to tie a rope round my neck, before considering the options.

we use some seconded staff (ie, on loan), and they dont have to sign it because ultimately they are not our employees...to me thats a breach of Eq Op's, and hence why i dont want to sign.
Old 19 December 2005, 07:09 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

where i work a few months back they wanted to amend our contracts to bring in shifts-peple refused to sign so they just brought the new contracts in by giving everyone 90 days notice of change of contract
Old 19 December 2005, 08:06 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

They must use a consultation period just like if they were considering redundancies.

To be honest you need to think about this one; although it will undoubtedly make you feel vulnerable it is a bona-fide method of protecting employment in the long term.

We had the same situation a while back, and if we had been able to reduce the working week in the short term we would have been able to avoid redundancies.

Unfortunately the staff wouldn't co-operate, and I did apprecaite what they were saying, but we simply didn't have enough work, or money coming in, to pay the whole workforce, and thus we had to make people redundant.

On the face of it your employer appears to be acting in a responsible manner in an attempt to safeguard the company and its employees, but without full knowledge of the situation its hard to be sure. I comment as someone with experience of this, and not as a legal professional.

I hope it works out for you.