Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Saturday night debate - foreign cars & insurance

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2005, 08:45 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saturday night debate - foreign cars & insurance

Whilst i was at the scrappys the other day, some young lads were fitting some replacement alloys to there car, nothing wrong with that, but it was a case of..

one alloy on, driven round the block and then because all looked ok, cash exchanged, the vehicle in question was a honda civic, and the wheels were OZ

now i know nothing was mentioned about offsett or size, it was purely a wheel fits, ill have them scenario.

what concerened me was that the car was on non uk plates, somthing we are seeing an increase in now that we have an open door policy with our european cousins.

Question is: do you reckon these lads would declare the wheels to there insurance company?? and how do you know if they actually have insurance?
and where do you stand if you were in an accident with one of these cars??
how would you know if any of the details given were correct??

according to our local rag, the bib have been given use of anprs to target vehicles with no insurance, all well and good, but these cars would not be on the uk database, so they would be exempt, (hardly fair i,d say).

What is the timesclae for changing foreign plates for uk ones,

and do you think we ought to get an insurance type mark similar to a tax disk, that showed that the vehicle has the correct insurance??

Mart
Old 26 November 2005, 08:49 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

i never declared anything on previous cars with wheels or mods. none of my mates ever do either or declare their points.

nothings been done to my current scooby so i dont have to worry.
Old 26 November 2005, 09:18 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Is this another dig at our "immigration" laws?

Lots of Polish cars round Northampton. I know that doesn't help with your question, but I guess they could have a policy like we do which covers us in some parts of Europe for a period of time. Not likely to be more than 90 days however.
Old 26 November 2005, 10:17 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

The old "not declaring mods" chestnut.

A far as I can gather, if someone doesnt declare modifiactions to their insurers and are involved in an accident, the insurers will still pay out third party claims, but the owner will get nothing for the damage to their own car (assuming he isnt Third Party Only anyway)
Old 26 November 2005, 11:29 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Is this another dig at our "immigration" laws?

Lots of Polish cars round Northampton. I know that doesn't help with your question, but I guess they could have a policy like we do which covers us in some parts of Europe for a period of time. Not likely to be more than 90 days however.
On the contrary, its nowt to do with immigration, its a genuine question,

where do you stand if you are stuffed by one of these vehicles, how do you know any docs are valid, and are you potentially facing an uninsured driver??
we are being targetted for no insurance, but how are they going to deal with the high number of these vehicles that are now on our roads..

hence the question, should we have some form of insurance disc that shows that a vehicle has a certian amount of insurance cover..

Mart
Old 26 November 2005, 11:57 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
The old "not declaring mods" chestnut.

A far as I can gather, if someone doesnt declare modifiactions to their insurers and are involved in an accident, the insurers will still pay out third party claims, but the owner will get nothing for the damage to their own car (assuming he isnt Third Party Only anyway)
I know of 2 seperate people who had this scenario and were required to pay an extra few hundred quid excess for not declaring, full claim was still made.

I am not going to declare my exhaust as it is NOT a performance enhancing one so why should I pay for it. I had this arguement with Tesco's on my scoob. I got a dyno plot prooving it was not producing more bhp (they gave me a <10% grace). No charge sir
Old 27 November 2005, 11:26 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Not only insurance but I wonder how many are immune from registration, parking fines, speed cameras, etc.

I've seen some real bangers being driven around with Eastern European plates, one van even had signage painted all over it advertising his UK building business.
Old 27 November 2005, 04:15 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

IF you drive on polish plates you can skip out insurance tax parking tickets sppeding tickets etc. Doesn't really matter which country I think french plates work just as well.
Old 28 November 2005, 02:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
IF you drive on polish plates you can skip out insurance tax parking tickets sppeding tickets etc. Doesn't really matter which country I think french plates work just as well.
Doesn't work the other way, in France for example. If you're stopped over there and have no insurance, etc, or if you haven't got it in the car with you, you can be in a world of trouble

When I was a young'un, (20's) and went abroad, the police checked your green card at the entry port, and again on the way from France to Spain, etc. No-one bothers now

Alcazar
Old 28 November 2005, 03:29 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

How about UK cars running around on pretend foreign plates. There's a Merc SL I pass most days that has mock Eire plates on it, even though the reg itself is a UK reg no.
Old 28 November 2005, 04:10 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

If it was a German registered car then you can be 99.9% sure that it is taxed and insured and every minute nut and bolt on the car is approved, declared and accounted for.

Because unlike your Brit cars that can have any old **** spoilers wheels and go faster bolt on bits with no concerns to anybody our cars have to be fully approved or your number plates get revoked and you can NOT get a false set made.

Last edited by Wurzel; 28 November 2005 at 04:14 PM.