Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does ABS allow a vehicle to skid?

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2005, 12:10 PM
Gwai Low
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat21
Right, need some help to settle an argument.
Thanks
Punch him in the head. End of argument
Old 25 November 2005, 12:13 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Your friend is talking sh*te, you've got it spot on, hope that helps
Old 25 November 2005, 12:14 PM
sirscooby
Scooby Regular

Default try it!!

Get a car with abs, find a deserted road (straight) accelerate up to 30 or 40 and slam on hard...see if car skids.
Old 25 November 2005, 12:15 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Tyres lock up
ABS releases pressure to wheels turn then applys brake force again (depending on where your foot is on the brake..

In between the above there will be a minimal skid (basically lots of little ones, this is why sometimes abs extends braking distance - try braking in snow, abs is often worse).

Think of it like this (| = braking but wheels turning, _ wheels locked)

Driver would brake like this when skidding
||________________||________________||____________ ____

Or like this
||________________________________________________ ____

ABS is like this

||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_|| _||_||_||_

Some manufactuers/models are better/worse than others and behave differently. Basically the better ones can minimise the "_"s more. Problem with this method is that if the abs isn't good enough, the car would never stop!!! At the end of the day, the wheels have to stop turning else you'd keep going forever

I am curious to know, however, what happens if you are going sideways (literally) as even if the wheels are turning, they are right angles to the road therefore are effectively skidding.

Last edited by Dracoro; 25 November 2005 at 12:18 PM.
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the car will still skid to some extent as the brakes are applied again. it's the time when the brakes are not applied that allows you to have some steering control.
Gwai Low
Scooby Newbie

It's a girl - and she's really fit....not an option
You've answered your own question then, women know nothing about cars
Old 25 November 2005, 12:16 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It's a girl - and she's really fit....not an option
If you cant punch her; perhaps fisting is an option?
Old 25 November 2005, 12:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is true that although ABS will allow you to brake in a straight line with less chance of the wheels locking up except possibly on snow or gravel, there is no guarantee that with a side load on the tyres that the wheels will not slide due to the additional forces on the tyres causing loss of sideways adhesion. It is all a function of the speed, sideways forces involved, and the slipperiness of the road.

So you cannot depend totally on being able to retain steering control while braking.

Incidentally, the definition of a skid is when the wheel locks while going in a forward direction, and a slide is when the tyre loses sideways adhesion.

Les
Old 25 November 2005, 12:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Well, ABS does allow the wheel to lock up and and skid. But only for a very short space of time, you are talking fractions of a second.

It needs to do this as a wheel needs to lock or skid before the system can actually detect a skid scienario and activate the abs (wheel speed sensors - a locked or skidding wheel rotates slower than the ones with grip).

It will rapidly remove braking force from the affacted wheel(s) and then re-apply the system braking pressure causing it to lock/skid again (assuming grip is still poor or pedal pressure is still high). It will do this many times per second.

If the wheel didn't lock or skid, then the ABS system would deactivate and you'll be back to normal brakes.

So she is right in the sense that a car does skid. Even if it it only for fractions of a second

Oh, and on some older ABS cars, the system would not trigger at all below 5mph.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 November 2005 at 12:30 PM. Reason: forgot my glasses
Old 25 November 2005, 12:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was given to understand that the ABS releases the brake pressure when it detects that the wheel has slowed abnormally for its original speed but just before it actually locks.

Les
Old 25 November 2005, 12:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yes it does, but for a wheel to be travelling slower then the others it has to be skidding

There is also a decelaration factor added into ABS which uses a basic mathematical equation that dictates that a wheel cannot decelerate faster than a given amount. This does indeed make it respond faster.

If it decelerates faster than the given amount then it can be said that it has lost grip. And is therefore skidding.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 November 2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old 25 November 2005, 12:29 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

The ABS module doesn't need to see a locked wheel, a significantly lower wheel speed will trigger the ABS, I find it highly unlikely that a wheel would lock, especially on modern systems.

(not all wheels rotate at the same speeds all the time, hence significantly different).
Old 25 November 2005, 12:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Ahh but a skidding wheel is not a locked wheel. It rotates, but is not gripping the road surface so rotates slower and decelerates faster under braking.

Have to be very careful with the use of technical wording here
Old 25 November 2005, 12:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Well, ABS does allow the wheel to lock up and and skid. But only for a very short space of time, you are talking fractions of a second.

It needs to do this as a wheel needs to lock or skiding before the system can actually detect a skid scienario and activate the abs (wheel speed sensors - a locked or skdding wheel rotates slower than the ones with grip).

It will rapidly remove braking force from the affacted whee(s) and then re-apply the system braking pressure causing it to lock again (assuming grip is still poor or pedal pressure is still high). It will do this many times per second.

If the wheel didn't lock or skid, then the ABS system would deactivate and you'll be back to normal brakes.

So she is right in the sense that a car does skid. Eeven if it it only for fractions of a second

Oh, and on some older ABS cars, the system would not trigger at all below 5mph.
true

i decided to have some fun last time in germany, so i was giving it some large in the snow, and went to do a slide. the abs kicked in, and the olf pedal graunching was heard and felt, the car did slide to halt albeit in a very short space, but it was sliding.

all the abs does as most and yourself have stated is stop the locked wheel from staying locked. it will noit overcome the laws of physics and prevent or stop the car from sliding. its because youve overcome the drag coeficient for the road surface you have started to skid, in brute force terms, all the abs does is give control back to the wheels, which by way of physics / drag stop the slide

M
Old 25 November 2005, 12:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is probably down to fractions of a second Ali-B because the wheel will show an instant deceleration at the moment that it is about to lock. That ties in with the timing factor that you mentioned. It would be interesting if a design engineer was to explain it to us completely. I was going by what we were told about aircraft ABS systems. Luckily you are not expected to do much fast cornering in one of those.

Les
Old 25 November 2005, 12:34 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
If you cant punch her; perhaps fisting is an option?
LMAO!
Old 25 November 2005, 12:37 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/anti-lock-brake.htm
Old 25 November 2005, 12:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is probably down to fractions of a second Ali-B because the wheel will show an instant deceleration at the moment that it is about to lock. That ties in with the timing factor that you mentioned. It would be interesting if a design engineer was to explain it to us completely. I was going by what we were told about aircraft ABS systems. Luckily you are not expected to do much fast cornering in one of those.

Les
I have it on pdf, somewhere (I belive I have one based on the Impreza's ABS too ) ...I dig it up and post it
Old 25 November 2005, 12:41 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I don't have a definitive answer but I'd suggest looking at the STOPTECH website as they have an article on ABS systems.... Aimed at people who replace parts of their braking systems but the theory I guess is the same.

IMO ABS systems are tuned so the best results are achieved under most driving conditions. The mechanical components can only work from feedback of various sensors so the electronics either detect the skid or try to guess when a skid is likely. At some point there is likely to be a skid or lots of skids separated by releases of the brakes.

J.
Old 25 November 2005, 12:42 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
LMAO!
Me too
Old 25 November 2005, 12:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Here we go, not the most informative unfortunately. But The other lot I have is about 150 pages and is 30meg, so I'm not posting that

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32806461036.jpg&s=x12
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32807002540.jpg&s=x12
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32806503378.jpg&s=x12
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32806515744.jpg&s=x12
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32806531287.jpg&s=x12
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32806542228.jpg&s=x12
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32806552863.jpg&s=x12

Note on technical English: Substitute skid for slip

I forgot to mention the g-force sensor that many cars have which works in conjunction of the wheel speed sensors in calculation of decelaration.

Edit: fixed page 2 now.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 November 2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 25 November 2005, 01:00 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wow, thanks for all the answers/info!

So, we're still not sure/100% if the systems allow the wheels to lock momentarily for a fraction of a second then release/reapply etc....or if the system releases/reapply's the brakes on the point of the wheel about to lock as the system realises that a skid/locked wheel is immanent.

However, the fact that a wheel can still bhe rotating but also skidding adds to the slight confusion

i guess it's the older systems that allowed the wheels to lock/skid for a brief moment while the newer ones are more advanced and able to predict the onset of a lock/skid a lot better through improved electronics/processing of sensor information meaning that the wheels aren't allowed to lock.
either way don't give the lass all that info as you'll have no chance! she'll think you're a right boring geek!
Old 25 November 2005, 03:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all that Ali-B, that does tie in pretty well with what I was taught about the aircraft systems, or as far as I can remember anyway. I found it pretty interesting and it just goes to show that it is a pretty complicated bit of kit.

Les
Old 26 November 2005, 01:25 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Arrow

So, we're still not sure/100% if the systems allow the wheels to lock momentarily for a fraction of a second then release/reapply etc....or if the system releases/reapply's the brakes on the point of the wheel about to lock as the system realises that a skid/locked wheel is imminent.
The latter. If you can detect a speed (of wheel rotation) = 0, then you can detect a speed slightly greater than 0. You don't want a locked wheel, and you don't want to wear out the tyres.

However, the fact that a wheel can still be rotating but also skidding adds to the slight confusion .
Not really confusing. As a car travels at a speed, the wheels rotate at the appropriate rate to match the speed. If any wheel rotates either slower or faster then it must be skidding on the surface, it does not have to be locked, or going sideways. It's the opposite of a car accelerating hard when the tyres are spinning = skidding, but obviously not locked.

Most systems don't work below a certain road speed because you would never come to a complete standstill, and you don't really need ABS at walking pace. Manual for MY02 WRX states "The ABS system will not operate when the vehicle speed is below approximately 10km/h (6mph)."