Battery Desulphator?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2005, 03:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Battery Desulphator?

Anyone made/bought or used one?

I have a few batteries which I've allowed to discharge for a bit too long and thus sulphated, reducing their capacity. I was wondering if these devices would restore their capacity again.

I've dug round the web and found this DIY setup, which seems simple enough to make with very little expense: http://www.shaka.com/~kalepa/lowpower.htm

Any good?
Old 20 November 2005, 03:41 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive just realised that a nearly new battery in an RVR that Ive imported has sulphated; its really bad though with the ends of the battery ballooning..... Its worth a go though.

Someone should give building one a try; if only one of us had read some form of electronics at uni. I did a worthless A&H degree Ali, how about you?

Simon
Old 20 November 2005, 04:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Tell me about it, I have a 12 months old bike battery that is pretty much dead due to a automatic charger that doesn't like small batteries (shuts off prematurely - took me 3 dead batteries to realise ). And the battery on my scoob is starting to sound like its a bit tired on start up in the cold, which has a had few too many deep discharges (lifetime guarantee, so if I kill it experimenting - not to worry ).

I'm going to give it a bash anyway and make one when I have some spare time. I've downloaded several circuit diagrams, just need to fathom which one looks the best.

I did A-Level electronics many moons ago, I've forgotten much of the advanced mathematics rules and equations. But as long as somone else has done the hard work and number crunching, I should be ok

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 November 2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 20 November 2005, 04:33 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive got a soldering iron that you can borrow... The Mitsubishi battery cant even muster 6v and it wont hold enough charge to start a 12" 8 Watt fluorescent tube...
Old 21 November 2005, 02:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Any critics out there care to make a comment before I trail on down to Maplin, and start up blowing up batteries, showering myself in sulphuric acid?
Old 21 November 2005, 03:00 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Give 'us a lend when youve done?
Old 21 November 2005, 03:03 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

cant you buy an organic tablet thing you drop in the battery to pep it up??

M
Old 21 November 2005, 03:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Heard of them, Does it involves flushing it out and replacing the acid as well though??? Which leads onto problems with disposal, purchase of acid of the correct concentration and me burning my skin off in the process.

Simon, I'll post the results if and when I get it working. Although I've been put under strict orders to finish redecorating the spare bedroom before I'm allowed to go blowing stuff up in my shed so the project start time maybe delayed
Old 21 November 2005, 03:18 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Heard of them, Does it involves flushing it out and replacing the acid as well though??? Which leads onto problems with disposal, purchase of acid of the correct concentration and me burning my skin off in the process.

Simon, I'll post the results if and when I get it working. Although I've been put under strict orders to finish redecorating the spare bedroom before I'm allowed to go blowing stuff up in my shed so the project start time maybe delayed
scuse the analogy but afaik there / its plug and play... you just drop the tab and leave

Mart
Old 21 November 2005, 03:22 PM
Dick Cheese
Scooby Regular

Any critics out there care to make a comment before I trail on down to Maplin, and start up blowing up batteries, showering myself in sulphuric acid?
The results will depend on how long the battery has been left in the discharged state. Even in the best case where minor sulphation has occurred, you will not get a return of full capacity.

The battery recovery units use a charge voltage which is much higher than the normal charge voltage - it forces the lead sulphate to fall off the negative plates, and this will then lie like sludge at the bottom of the battery (more sludge = less acid = less capacity). If you do use this type of device, you must not use it for more than 12 hours continuously and do not leave it unattended incase thermal runaway occurs. Do not use if the battery case shows any signs of damage such as melting, impacts or bulging.

You should also weigh up the cost of the charger against the cost of a new battery.
Old 21 November 2005, 03:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I'll go and get googling and have a look then
Old 21 November 2005, 03:23 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Will it revive my Mitsubishi battery Mart? It sulphated so badly that the ends have ballooned and it wont take a charge at all, maxing out at 6v before disappearing to nothing in a short time.

Simon
Old 21 November 2005, 03:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dick Cheese
...Do not use if the battery case shows any signs of damage such as melting, impacts or bulging...
I'm f*cked then; its a 20kg paper weight. Bollocks!
Old 21 November 2005, 03:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Dick Cheese
The results will depend on how long the battery has been left in the discharged state. Even in the best case where minor sulphation has occurred, you will not get a return of full capacity.

The battery recovery units use a charge voltage which is much higher than the normal charge voltage - it forces the lead sulphate to fall off the negative plates, and this will then lie like sludge at the bottom of the battery (more sludge = less acid = less capacity). If you do use this type of device, you must not use it for more than 12 hours continuously and do not leave it unattended incase thermal runaway occurs. Do not use if the battery case shows any signs of damage such as melting, impacts or bulging.

You should also weigh up the cost of the charger against the cost of a new battery.
Think you might be on about a differenet device?
(Oddly it reads like the instructions for an Accumate/optimate battery charger ).

As the device I've seen (both off the shelf and DIY) runs directly off the battery, so it doesn't "charge" it. (but can be used in addition to a charger, if need be ).
Old 21 November 2005, 03:29 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Hold on then; Im just going to nip back out and get my battery out of the bin.....
Old 21 November 2005, 03:33 PM
Dick Cheese
Scooby Regular

Think you might be on about a differenet device?
(Oddly it reads like the instructions for an Accumate/optimate battery charger ).

As the device I've seen (both off the shelf and DIY) runs directly off the battery, so it doesn't "charge" it. (but can be used in addition to a charger, if need be ).
I just looked at the link and it does run off the battery, so there would need to be sufficient charge in the battery in order for this to work as the circuit simply connects the battery terminals to a low resistance at a certain frequency. Same principle though - forcing enough current through the plates to break down the suphate layer.

This definitely would not be as effective as a high charge voltage de-sulphator.

Simon - put the battery back in the bin, it's scrap!

Last edited by Dick Cheese; 21 November 2005 at 03:36 PM.
Old 21 November 2005, 03:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah, seems to be the same science, the device in the link only draws a about 50mA but it does induce up to 60volts and a pulse current of 5amps, depending on the battery's internal resistance. It can be used with a charger to back it up, if the battery doesn't hold enough charge (although I might need to add a few precautions to the charger to protect it from any high voltages).

Simon- taken from the above sight:
Shorted cells can be caused by sulfation. It seems that the crystal formation expands and warps the plate material. This can cause the case to bulge, or to push adjacent plates together. If you are lucky, desulfation can relieve this situation, but I have not seen it myself.
Looks like binning it!

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 November 2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 21 November 2005, 04:25 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its only done 5,000 klicks too. Bummer.