Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

PayPal - I won - but beware of the w£$%*s! My Story...

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2005, 10:14 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PayPal - I won - but beware of the w£$%*s! My Story...

Good morning. Just thought I'd update you on my ongoing PayPal and eBay situation now that it's all over...

I've just successfully won a claim against PayPal after weeks of arguing, being threatened with court action etc.

I sold a Nokia N90 for £460 on eBay a few weeks ago. I had masses of terms and conditions in my listing, to cover me but I had no idea what could happen...

Buyer was registered in the UK and had 100% positive feedback stretching back over the past year or so but with some recent feedback for quite large value items too (not just 10p items, hence probably not a stolen account) so I let his bid stand.

The guy paid with PayPal and I withdrew the funds and spent them. Sent the phone off using Special Delivery and all was done...

Then about 10 days later, PayPal sent me a mail saying that there was a potential problem with the funds and that they had "Placed a hold" on them until they had investigated the problem.

Turns out he's used a stolen Credit Card and so the CC company won't pay PayPal the money. PayPal don't want to be out of pocket so they basically told me "We haven't been given the money, so we want it back off you". I gave them all the information they needed, to prove that I was covered by the seller protection policy (Proof of delivery/tracking etc) but PayPal kept ignoring my questions and continued to ask the same questions over and over again - even when the email got to about 5 replies long and the answers to the questions were further down in the mail! PayPal are a useless bunch of cretins who don't care about you in the slightest. They are a business pure and simple and will try to screw you at every opportunity.

It got to the point when they told me I wasn't covered by the seller protection policy because the tracking number was invalid... They had - in fact - put too many spaces between the numbers and had screwed up the format... Because of this ****-up alone, they determined that I hadn't complied with their policy... My PayPal account then went into -£465.00 balance and they started sending me nasty emails.

I told them that as they had consistently ignored my emails and questions asking WHAT was wrong with the original payment (so I could involve the police) and because they had treated me so badly, that from now on, I will assume that they consider the matter to be closed and so that I would be closing the email account and not reading any further emails. I said that if they wanted their money but couldn't answer my questions about why I wasn't covered by the SPP, I wouldn't answer THEIR questions about when I would pay them back...

Anyway - after a saga, they agreed that I WAS covered by the policy and they even phoned ME up to tell me so...

Moral of the story is: Beware. PayPal are b4stards and will put your account into negative balance even if you've spent the money already. Then it becomes a legal debt which you owe them which they can pass onto debt recovery agents, baliffs etc. Don't expect them to answer any of your mails either...

Anyway, the matter is now closed

Last edited by Little Miss WRX; 18 November 2005 at 10:46 AM. Reason: To remove address and details of person in question
Old 18 November 2005, 10:32 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

are you allowed to post people's names and addresses without their consent?

my girlfriend is about to sell lots of stuff on ebay using paypal as the money collector. i passed on your post to her.
thanks

(glad it worked out)
Old 18 November 2005, 10:34 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Well done mate.
Old 18 November 2005, 10:35 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ChefDude
***** to it,expose the ba$tards.Anyone who uses Ebay is getting FED-UP with all the con artists,scammers,liars and cheats.
Its tough.
Old 18 November 2005, 10:36 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't use paypal at all , i don't like the way they take so long to hand over your money and charge 3% for the privilege !
Old 18 November 2005, 10:39 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmer1
You believed someone with a name like that?
Heh heh - he lied about his name during the bidding process otherwise I expect my prejudice would have taken over and I would have cancelled it... It's a shame that people like him give a bad reputation to other minorities but I guess it's human nature: Once bitten, twice shy.
Old 18 November 2005, 10:42 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
(I'm smiling when I write this, so please don't think I'm snapping at you )

Well - are you allowed to steal someone's credit card, use it to buy lots of things from innocent people and then run off with your ill gotten gains while everyone else is left to suffer?

If so, then I'll edit the original post and remove the details.

I can't see him kicking up much of a fuss about it to be honest, I expect he's moved on to other victims by now.

My above post is purely factual so I can't be accused of slander, defamation of character etc.
Old 18 November 2005, 12:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You done good mad dr, glad you held your ground. Not your fault if their customer defaults. Disgraceful that they tried to con you!

Les
Old 18 November 2005, 12:45 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Now that's how to do it indeed. Well done mad dr.

A positively confident approach to the problem, quite refreshing for these boards.

p.s Lucky you took the money out quickly.
Old 18 November 2005, 01:20 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the support guys!

Nice to see the reasonable moderators on this board have decided to censor my post and remove the guy's name and address - I can only assume that they are in cahoots with the thief...
Old 18 November 2005, 01:35 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

edit it back then
Old 18 November 2005, 01:37 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad_dr
Nice to see the reasonable moderators on this board have decided to censor my post and remove the guy's name and address - I can only assume that they are in cahoots with the thief...
power junkies