Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Television questions (for the challenged)

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2005, 10:38 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Television questions (for the challenged)

Hello

I'm still looking for a new television, and went to a shop and the new Plasma and/or LCD TV's look pretty good even though I was sure I wasn't going to buy one. Put them next to a normal 32" TV that I wanted to buy and it looks huge.

But I have come to the conclusion I know absolutely nothing about the "new" televisions. So are Plasma and LCD TV's any good? Do they last? Any recommendations for < £1000?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 17 November 2005, 10:50 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I have a Samsung LE32R41BD - 32" LCD with buiilt in freeview. HD-ready with HDMI port, as well as VGA port for your PC (runs at approx 1300x780 res). Can be bought on www.waratah.co.uk for £840 delivered.

Best value 'decent' LCD out there. Beware cheaper 'unknown' brands which are perhaps 15:9 (rather than 16:9) and are not HD-ready (no HDMI port), or have slow response times (>16ms).

Can't recommend this set highly enough. Sitting at normal viewing distance for a 32" (6ft+), the picture is fab. No geometry issues you get with CRTs and a nice looking set.

It also has a fast refresh time of <12ms. If you've watched LCD tvs of old, you'll have noticed 'smearing' which is basically when fast moving images look blurred (such as football). With a 12ms response time, this is no longer an issue in my eyes. Football looks absolutely fine to me.

Last edited by imlach; 17 November 2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 17 November 2005, 01:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Samsung? Won't it break after 13 months??

Just like LG crap??

Surely a 'name' would be the best move?

Pete
Old 17 November 2005, 01:55 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Samsung? Won't it break after 13 months??
Just like LG crap??
Surely a 'name' would be the best move?
Samsung is a 'name'. Guess who makes Sony's LCD panels? Yep, Samsung
Non-'names' are rebadged products like Dual, Wharfedale, etc....ie, OEM'ed cheap rubbish rebadged for supermarkets.

Anyway, you're obviously happy enough not paying a premium for a 'badge/name' - you drive a Subaru after all.
Old 17 November 2005, 07:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imlach
Anyway, you're obviously happy enough not paying a premium for a 'badge/name' - you drive a Subaru after all.
Indeed!!

But the Subaru was the best at the job I wanted it to do ....... better than the names.

No-one is suggesting, surely, that a LG TV or a Samsung TV is as good as a Sony, Pioneer or Panasonic .............. or, are they??

I have actually always been impressed with WATSON TVs (not sure who makes them?)

Pete
Old 17 November 2005, 08:22 PM
JohnRoly
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't bother with a Plasma for under £1000 to be honest, I have been after one for some time and you really need to spend a bit more to avoid disappointment. I am personally going to save a bit more and go for a High Definition Plasma as the picture quality really is streets ahead of the current 840x480 screens. Also with the xbox3560, SkyHD, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray just round the corner I want a TV that will last me a good few years without being hugely outdated for the amount of money I am going to spend! Best quality/value plasma I have seen so far is the Hitachi 42pd6600 42" High Definition (not just HD Ready), can pick one up for around £1,500 (cheaper after Chrimbo I think!)
Old 17 November 2005, 08:27 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

have a look on http://www.avforums.com - lots of good advice on there
Old 17 November 2005, 08:32 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

But the Samsung was the best at the job I wanted it to do ....... better than the names.
Exactly!
Old 17 November 2005, 08:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Indeed!!

But the Subaru was the best at the job I wanted it to do ....... better than the names.

No-one is suggesting, surely, that a LG TV or a Samsung TV is as good as a Sony, Pioneer or Panasonic .............. or, are they??

I have actually always been impressed with WATSON TVs (not sure who makes them?)

Pete
if i recall, panasonics cheap end or it may be there parent is matshusita, and we all know who they supply with stuff!!

technics is panasonic too if i recall, or it may be one of the others.

unfortunatly one of the best screen systems around will not be carrying on, thats the sony trinitron system

whilst i like the asthetics of flat screens, they have yet to get one totally artifact or smear free. long may the crt rule

Mart